Baby car seats, travel solutions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt32AMG

Car
June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
Quick quizz, do all baby child seats fit a Mercedes Benz, specifically the CLK Cabriolet? (Clearly not to fit in my SLK32AMG)

Or perhaps put another way a better question would be: What ones don't fit? Or, what makes of baby seat are recommended?

I know nowadays entire travel solutions are sold, which is what is being considered, so you get a carry cot push chair and baby seat all in the same package, such as Bugaboo, or Quinny offer. (that's now my entire knowledge of such things exhausted ;) :eek: :D)

Thanks for your help in advance :thumb:

Last edited:
bear in mind that the little one is only actually going to be small enough to lift straight out of a car and onto the wheel bit of the travel system for six months or so - after that its just too heavy and very cumbersome from a two door car.

IMHO the travel system prams are often a compromise too - give them a good run around the shop and compare with out and out prams before committing to a system.

We had (very) expensive maxi cosi bases that meant we could click the seats (twins!!) in and out with ease but if we didn't have two to deal with it wouldnt have been a necessity. within 12 months or so - seats and bases are redundant as they move on a stage.

welcome to the arterial wallet injury that is parenthood!

oh and as a PS I think kids can travel in an SLK - especially when very young and with the rearfacing seats properly secured. just disable passenger airbag in this instance.

As Biscuit says watch out for the Travel Systems. They are heavy and cumbersome for what limited use you get. I did end up buying a MB baby seat and eventually used that more than the integrated seat with the system due to the weight.

We also found that they were quite bulky when folded. Having said that my daughters old travel system is still talking space in the garage if you are interested.

Regardless I would give serious thought to looking for separates. Only problem is when they are asleep transferring them, but we found that if our daughter was tired she would go straight back anyway.

Very interesting points, we have also just started looking and there is a bewildering array of options out there. Most seem mainly designed to extract as much money as possible from the unsuspecting shopper with seemingly identical products varying in price 3-5 times from the cheapest to the more expensive.

Further to my previous answer the key is really what you are going to be doing -

daily trips in the car mean you are really going to prioritise ease of use and then a travel system makes sense. but don't forget that prams are only really good on the flat - if you are going to a place with steps - you'd never get the pram out of the boot. similarly supermarkets are set up with trolleys that take a car seat alone on the top and off you go.

if you are only going to do occasional trips to see relly's or friends then the travel system will spend the vast majority of its time in just one configuration. Childcare websites will also tell you that two or three hours in one seat/position is the max so after a reasonable journey you want to move them into something softer/flatter.

with ours we really didnt drive (London based) but we wanted daily trips on foot - we then had the best pram and car seats as a separate system. in retrospect the car seats needn't have been so good.

just one other piece - when you are ready to fly with "young-un" it's worth getting a really cheap and lightweight pushchair for the airport/plane. In my experience using something everyday that is easy to fly with is an impossible combination!

We had a Recaro travel system initially and it was fab, especially with the isofix. That said, our wee one grew out of the seat quite quickly and it was replaced with a Recaro Young Sport. Excellent seat which fits a w202 brilliantly.

I would go to Halfords for the forward facing ones (from about 6 months old onwards) and have them try a few to see what fits best. For the first stage if you get isofix/have isofix then the right base will ensure the seat fits perfectly ok.

m.

Having direct experience of a baby in a 2 door coupe, couple of observations:

We bypassed the travel systems: huge, expensive and useless after 8-12 months.

For us space is a premium both in the flat and in the car and we managed with a rear facing Maxi Cosi baby carrier thing and a Maclaren Techno XT (still going strong) which drops flat and is therefore suitable for newborns.

Ideally you need to be able to drop/set up the pushchair with one hand.

I'd check the baby carriers for fit before buying - both halfords and mothercare offer free fitting and have loads on display that you can prod - you can try a load out and then purchase online if you want to save a few quid (of course we didn't and bought our forward facing child seat from Halfords - Another Maxi Cosi of some sort without ISOFIX as the CE doesn't have the fixings - the baby carrier was a gift and was also ISOFIX free).

Seat belt length and seat positions were the issues in the CE. The baby carrier would fit in the front with the seat back and seat belt at max extension (no rear legroom) or the back with the front seat forward (little front legroom). There were no airbag issues as the CE has none.

If you are fit and flexible, getting junior in and out of the rear seats is actually easy as you can stand in the footwell with seat back forward and fiddle with the straps as required. Once Junior B could walk, he'd climb in himself in any case.

MB stuff is just rebranded Brittax according to MB Croydon

Sadly we've just retired the CE from family duties as we couldn't engineer a simple solution of fitting a baby carrier and child seat in the car without affecting driver legroom badly, Junior B #2 due in 9 weeks.

You can certainly manage one tot easily with a 2 door car unless you or your other half have mobility issues, and afaik, you'll have no issues finding a seat/carrier to suit.

Congrats by the way. :)

Ade

We've got child seats for Baby BTB permanently fitted in the Vito and the Audi. The Audi one goes in the SL OK, but the one in the Vito doesn't - the seatbelt is too short.

Agree with the comments about travel systems.

bear in mind that the little one is only actually going to be small enough to lift straight out of a car and onto the wheel bit of the travel system for six months or so - after that its just too heavy and very cumbersome from a two door car.

IMHO the travel system prams are often a compromise too - give them a good run around the shop and compare with out and out prams before committing to a system.

We had (very) expensive maxi cosi bases that meant we could click the seats (twins!!) in and out with ease but if we didn't have two to deal with it wouldnt have been a necessity. within 12 months or so - seats and bases are redundant as they move on a stage.

welcome to the arterial wallet injury that is parenthood!

oh and as a PS I think kids can travel in an SLK - especially when very young and with the rearfacing seats properly secured. just disable passenger airbag in this instance.

Thanks for the input appreciated and noted :thumb:

I'm a step dad and this is my daughters first stab at parenthood, which means more worryingly for me, grand parent or (grump parent as my other half happliy delares :doh:) :D;)

Having direct experience of a baby in a 2 door coupe, couple of observations:

We bypassed the travel systems: huge, expensive and useless after 8-12 months.

For us space is a premium both in the flat and in the car and we managed with a rear facing Maxi Cosi baby carrier thing and a Maclaren Techno XT (still going strong) which drops flat and is therefore suitable for newborns.

Ideally you need to be able to drop/set up the pushchair with one hand.

I'd check the baby carriers for fit before buying - both halfords and mothercare offer free fitting and have loads on display that you can prod - you can try a load out and then purchase online if you want to save a few quid (of course we didn't and bought our forward facing child seat from Halfords - Another Maxi Cosi of some sort without ISOFIX as the CE doesn't have the fixings - the baby carrier was a gift and was also ISOFIX free).

Seat belt length and seat positions were the issues in the CE. The baby carrier would fit in the front with the seat back and seat belt at max extension (no rear legroom) or the back with the front seat forward (little front legroom). There were no airbag issues as the CE has none.

If you are fit and flexible, getting junior in and out of the rear seats is actually easy as you can stand in the footwell with seat back forward and fiddle with the straps as required. Once Junior B could walk, he'd climb in himself in any case.

MB stuff is just rebranded Brittax according to MB Croydon

Sadly we've just retired the CE from family duties as we couldn't engineer a simple solution of fitting a baby carrier and child seat in the car without affecting driver legroom badly, Junior B #2 due in 9 weeks.

You can certainly manage one tot easily with a 2 door car unless you or your other half have mobility issues, and afaik, you'll have no issues finding a seat/carrier to suit.

Congrats by the way. :)

Ade
Thanks for all the input appreciated and noted
thumb.gif

I'm a step dad and this means more worryingly for me, i'm a step grand parent or (grump parent as my other half puts it:crazy::(;)

Hello

We used the Maxi cosi base systems that fit into the car with isofix and seatbelt. You leave them in and just click the Maxi cosi car seat into them. Very handy, and also you can move the little one in and out without waking them.

As much as you 'can' live with a 2 door car, for everyday use if your out and about as much as us then it will annoy you. I had a 330 Convertible and wife MX5 before our current tanks.... There is however far more room for everything. If its occasional use then fine. Anyone watching be get the car seat in (for a practice) in the back of the BM....roof up, roof down...etc etc just not happening...

I think the 'mercedes' car seats have the transponder that switch the airbags off if on front seat. You can however buy these seperatley on a popular auction site.

Our current seats are Maxi Cosi Tobi, that had one of the best Which reports (I wanted recaro on looks....), the Maxi cosi are very good being the only ones we spotted that harness springs open to help get the little wiggle worms in.....

Hello

We used the Maxi cosi base systems that fit into the car with isofix and seatbelt. You leave them in and just click the Maxi cosi car seat into them. Very handy, and also you can move the little one in and out without waking them.

As much as you 'can' live with a 2 door car, for everyday use if your out and about as much as us then it will annoy you. I had a 330 Convertible and wife MX5 before our current tanks.... There is however far more room for everything. If its occasional use then fine. Anyone watching be get the car seat in (for a practice) in the back of the BM....roof up, roof down...etc etc just not happening...

I think the 'mercedes' car seats have the transponder that switch the airbags off if on front seat. You can however buy these seperatley on a popular auction site.

Our current seats are Maxi Cosi Tobi, that had one of the best Which reports (I wanted recaro on looks....), the Maxi cosi are very good being the only ones we spotted that harness springs open to help get the little wiggle worms in.....

Thanks for the heads up here, and to everyone who has responded regarding this matter.

As I've never had kids of my own, I am a step father, I inherited an instant family of two youngsters 11 and 13 from my other half’s previous marriage 12 years ago, (and no I was nothing to do with her marriage breakdown the loser of a husband walked out on her following his second brain). His loss my gain as I see it. :bannana:

As you can imagine, I’ve never experienced the joys of prams, nappies or projectile vomiting, all aspects that up until now I cunningly conspired to avoid all these years. If I say so myself, a job well done. :thumb:

However, much to everyone I knows general amusement, I have all the aforementioned and some to look forward to, better still, they're nurturing the thought that these bodily functions will undoubtedly occur with the monotonous regularity at all the very inopportune moments, i.e. while I’m holding the baby. (if you know me, you’d understand my horror)

So, as you will appreciate this is all a new ball game to me at the grand old age of 48......... (not sure I’m ready for this yet :crazy:)

So, as you will appreciate this is all a new ball game to me at the grand old age of 48......... (not sure I’m ready for this yet :crazy:)
I was 47 when Baby BTB (my first, and probably only!) was born - so I know exactly what you mean! :)

Have got two step-sons (aged 7 and 10) as well.

Looking at the positives:

grandparents = free child care ;):D

Sadly for us we have restricted access to this excellent facility as my parents are 200 odd miles away up north and mother in law lives on the other side of the world (although some might argue that is about the correct distance)...

Judging by my parents' responses to their currently 5 grandchildren, you'll enjoy it far more than you might think. :)

Ade

we currently have a Bebe Comfort (maxi cosi by another name) Streety travel system which is desinged to take up minimal space and weigh as little as possible. Its very good for leaving in the boot and folds down to very small footprint, only £200 inc. the car seat.

We had a M&P Ultima to start with but it was way too big even for the B class boot!

main advice would be if you fancy a travel system (and they do have their benifits) then dont be seduced by the super fancy "we do it all" sets they are overpriced and generaly do a lot of things in a medioca way at best.

Maxi cosi streety, Lula or Lula Up would get my vote.
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...w.preciouslittleone.com/maxi-cosi/&filt=334-/

Looking at the positives:

grandparents = free child care ;):D
Ade

:eek:, I've only just got rid of the kids and have enjoyed 18 months sanity :eek::crazy:;)

Sadly for us we have restricted access to this excellent facility as my parents are 200 odd miles away up north and mother in law lives on the other side of the world (although some might argue that is about the correct distance)...

Judging by my parents' responses to their currently 5 grandchildren, you'll enjoy it far more than you might think. :)
Ade

Ah yes, easily said when they live 200 miles away :D

My daughter on the other hand, lives way to near for their convenience for my liking :(:eek::D (though I have a feeling my better half may have a different view on this)

Last edited:
I was 47 when Baby BTB (my first, and probably only!) was born - so I know exactly what you mean! :)

Have got two step-sons (aged 7 and 10) as well.

I take my hat off to you, and speaking as someone who's taken on someone else’s children as well, I understand the challenges that you face and have still yet to, maybe. Boy I could tell you some tales that changed my life for sure. That said, I have no regrets and while I get on Ok with my stepson now, who never really got over the disappointment of his Dad, my stepdaughter and I, we love each other to bits, as a father and daughter would, though she’s driven both my wife and I to despair at times, believe me.

Anyway, a new challenge to face in early September, ( I can wait!!!) That should read can't shouldn't it ;)

we currently have a Bebe Comfort (maxi cosi by another name) Streety travel system which is desinged to take up minimal space and weigh as little as possible. Its very good for leaving in the boot and folds down to very small footprint, only £200 inc. the car seat.

We had a M&P Ultima to start with but it was way too big even for the B class boot!

main advice would be if you fancy a travel system (and they do have their benifits) then dont be seduced by the super fancy "we do it all" sets they are overpriced and generaly do a lot of things in a medioca way at best.

Maxi cosi streety, Lula or Lula Up would get my vote.

Thanks for the heads up here and I appreciate the comment regarding the travel system, as my daughter I think is being seduced by the super fancy looking "we do it all" Quinny, and perhaps not really thinking reality or practicality say. She drives a VW polo which isn’t the biggest car on the planet. It’s also easily done to get swept along when I said I'd pay for whatever she requires regarding baby transport, (CAR SEAT TROLLY BUGGY THINGY), which is one of the reasons I’m asking questions regarding other peoples experience.

Several of the other new parents were also seduced by these huge expensive systems and they've never used them, too big.

The Recaro one we have is more like a plush buggy than anything with normal wheels etc. Its been brilliant and is still in use at 16 months (not the travel seat as stated earlier) but the buggy and lie back 'pram' setting are still very useful everyday. Our wee man goes into it for his daily naps so he doesn't roll about and hurt himself.

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom