Baby Stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi all

As the arrival of our little one gets nearer.... only 5 weeks to go.

I have to start buying the baby stuff, I know we are leaving it quite late, but we didn't want to buy things too early.

We have decided on some stuff, but needs advice on some of the other stuff.

Buggy: Quinny Buzz 3 wheel in Red (I wanted Racoon but was overruled).

Carry Cot: Quinny

Car Seat: Maxi Cozi with isofix base

Cot: Johnlewis with spring and foam mattress

Here is the stuff I need advice on:

Sterilizer kit: I am thinking mains at the moment, unless there is any reason that these should be avoided, still need advice on which brand.

Baby Monitor: Have not idea which one to get, only thing that I have decided against is the video as it seams way to expensive.

Baby Carrier: The device that looks like a back pack, but you can carry the baby infront of you? Some people suggested the slings, but they dont look safe to me.

Nappy disposal machine: are these worth it or just a waste of money?

Hello and congrads...

Enjoy your last 5 weeks of un broken sleep

Baby monitor we went for the one that sences breathing...or lack of it. I know it seems odd but it quite reasuring knowing its there.

Sterilizer kit we used a tommy tippie set up with milton tablets

Baby carrier, early years a Baby bourg? think thats right fitted on front. Now we use a more job on one which I forget the name but its like a little life only apparently better (straps adjust). Slings are meant to be more natural but the carriers seem to work for our little one...

Nappy disposal machine....never used one. Nappy sacks in bin..cheap and works

Others things possible to think of..

Seat protectors for car seats.
Mirror to see little one through your mirror (although mrs A210 sat in the back with ours...)
Baby theomonitor
Tea machine for when your up at 11, 2am, 5am etc..etc... :)
Breast pump, ours was breast fed so dad pretty useless unless we has some expressed milk ready to use if mummy very tired...

Hope all goes well.... best thing in the world, Your life will never be the same again but FOR THE BETTER :)

monitors come in all sort of sizes and prices. We had at one point a cheap one, bought after the previous expensive one had died.

It had a temperature sensor that would beep if room is too hot. In summer room was always too hot and the bloody thing beeped if turned on.

We used a microwave steriliser which worked well. You will find that you quickly need a toy box too!

Hope all goes well and that you enjoy the new delivery.

Our babies are going to be close together... ours is due around the middle of August.

You sound well organised. I have a recommendation for a baby monitor. Well a few infact...

Having read the Which? best buy reviews they reckon there are 4 to choose between.

BT Baby Monitor 100 - 88% - £50RRP
BT Baby Monitor 150 - 87% - £70RRP
Philips Avent 499 Monitor - 86% - £90RRP
Philips Avent 496 Monitor - 86% - £60RRP

We went for the BT BM 100 as it got the best score and I found a good deal online for £25.

Here's the link : BT Baby Monitor 100 - £24.99 at Telephones Online - Digital Baby Monitors

The reception is excellent. (We live in an old victorian house and the walls are really thick)

Hope that helps and the birth goes well. :thumb:

Last edited:
Here's the link : BT Baby Monitor 100 - £24.99 at Telephones Online - Digital Baby Monitors

The reception is excellent. (We live in an old victorian house and the walls are really thick)

Hope that helps and the birth goes well. :thumb:

That one is the one that we have now. We no longer use it as a monitor (daughter is 3!) but it does have a little night light and soothing music which are part of her bed time routine.

Also works very well when the doorbell goes if I am in the garden!

Congratulations Tan.

Re. Nappy disposal machine - If its the same one we had, then a total waste of space and money.

We had a Baby Bjorn too and I used it most of the time. Loved it :)

No real need for a new born - they'll go everywhere in the car seat initially!

See above!

Good choice - a Which? Best Buy I believe

John Lewis stuff is generally very good value. Sprung mattress is definitely the best option.

Sterilizer kit: I am thinking mains at the moment, unless there is any reason that these should be avoided, still need advice on which brand.

Avent/Tommy Tippee ones are good - we used the microwave versions.

Baby Monitor: Have not idea which one to get, only thing that I have decided against is the video as it seams way to expensive.

Really necessary yet? We didn't need one for ours until she was a year old! Depends where little one sleeps - if bedroom is next door, then you won't need one! New borns snuffle like hedgehogs and you'll wake at every whimper if you have a baby monitor!

Baby Carrier: The device that looks like a back pack, but you can carry the baby infront of you? Some people suggested the slings, but they dont look safe to me.

Baby slings good if you need to keep the new born next to you around the house. Matter of choice - we wouldn't use one.

Waste of money. Use the cheapest nappy bags from your local supermarket! Better still, use washable nappies - we use Little Lamb. Fantastic value for money, very 'eco-green' and encourage baby to potty train earlier!

Enjoy! :D

monitors come in all sort of sizes and prices. We had at one point a cheap one, bought after the previous expensive one had died.

It had a temperature sensor that would beep if room is too hot. In summer room was always too hot and the bloody thing beeped if turned on.

We used a microwave steriliser which worked well. You will find that you quickly need a toy box too!

Hope all goes well and that you enjoy the new delivery.

Ikea is very good for one of these!! V Cheap and easily replaced if broken.

dont bother with the nappy bin thing - we had one but soon got rid of it as it was next to useless. nappy-bags and in the bin.

something for the future; once the baby can hold his/her neck get a Bumbo Seat - these are really good.

In reality you need very little for a newborn. Clothes, nappies, steriliser, bottles, a moses basket and a car seat. Thats it.

Oh, plus bags of patience.

The rest you can pick up as and when you feel you need it. There's loads of stuff out there that is just unnecessary and a complete waste of money.

Hi all

Excellent choice, just accept that the seat will be in store for the next 9 months, you can use from new born but are more likely to use:
Handy but we had to stop using after 6 Months as Poppy kept making a break for freedom (she's only allowed 5 point harnesses now!)
Used instead of cot or pushchair seat for first couple of months, just been replaced with a bigger seat (also maxi cosi)

Mains is handy and we found the Tommee Tippee one took up the least space on the worktop.
Have a Phillips Avent one that was really handy in the early days (as a reassurance rather than necesity) has spent he last month turned of as keeps beeping about temperature!
Baby Bjorn front carrier has been fantastic, my favourite way of taking her out and about, bought a sling that she vanished into the depths of and hated.
Ours was good for a couple of months then began to smell worse than the contents despite sterilising etc. Nappy bags or just a bin that gets emptied each day seem to work for us.

Thanks for bringing back memories of this time last year, I now go on to contemplating the forthcoming birthday party.

We have decided on some stuff, but needs advice on some of the other stuff.

Better, cheaper, easier to use:

View Product

With babies practicality is king, a buggy may look funky, but if it's a mission to unfold or put up...

All other stuff hit kiddecare:

Kiddicare - Pushchairs | Prams | Car Seats | Baby Equipment | Online Baby Shop

Also consider NCT nearly new sales, we spent a fortune on new stuff for our little one, but in reality some of it only gets used for a week or two, and in hindsight we could have saved $$$ by shopping around or buying used but mint stuff.

One word that can sort a lot of your troubles -

FREECYCLE

Did wonders for us - we had more new clothes than you could shake a stick at!

I'm with Sp!ke ... you can go completely mad, but a lot of stuff is unnecessary really.

Anyway in reply to the OP:

- Had a simple steriliser that went in the microwave.

- We never used a monitor.

- I used the Baby Bjorn (front carrier) a fair bit when baby BTB was smaller. Switched to a rucksack-style carrier as he grew. Either is a lot more convenient when out & about than a buggy. Keeps you fit, too!

- Nappy bags and bin.

Good luck!

My 2p

Nappy bin has been great
Has anyone mentioned high chair?
Lo-fi Microwave steriliser works great, takes up less room
One of those bouncy wire framed seats was good - can't remember the proper name
Breast feeding pillow?
+1 for Bumbo and Baby Bjorn - great things
Whatever musical toys you buy, make sure you can live with the tune - Bridge Over Troubled Water has never sounded the same...

Everyone has a different view on buggies - I'd go to Mothercare and prod them, some are unstable, some you can't fold whilst holding a screaming poo streaked child, some require a large estate car and their own garage etc. etc. We have a Maclaren XT something, can't fault it.

Happy days ahead

Ade

Yes, Bumbos rock!! Baby can safely sit in a Bumbo from a very young age, and it's only now - at 7 months that - that new Baby D can wriggle his way out. Great for feeding or keeping them safe whilst doing stuff, like ironing. So I'm told. ;) :D

You won't need a high chair for ages yet.

As per BTB we never used the monitor with Junior D as she stayed with us until she was old enough to sleep in the childrens wing alone, and we'd keep her with us downstairs until we went to bed. I suppose Baby D will be much the same.

But of course some people prefer to get the routine started straight away - and makes sure there's a bit of 'you' time (without being Mom & Dad) - in which case a monitor would be a good idea.

In fact the most important top tip on babies is to make sure Mom & Dad still have some time where they can be themselves. Mrs D and I have never really done that, and whilst we don't regret it for a second, I'm sure the right the to do is to have a break once in a while even if it's only for an hour or two. Easier to do that from day one than it is to start from year six!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom