Back again, got a decision to make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technoholic

Car
CLS 350 SB, TVR Tuscan
You may remember (you probably won't!) that last year I was debating between selling my CLS 350 and moving up to an E63 or a CLS63 for family duties. What I did in the end was buy a BMW M6 Competition and a BMW 540i Touring. I love both these cars, the touring especially is just perfect, being an ex BMW HQ car, it has every box ticked and is a place of luxury for the family. The M6 on the other hand is properly raw and a huge thrill to drive.

That being said, it's been a year, and I'm bored!

I'm keeping the 540i, that's not in question, but I will be selling the M6, because used prices are through the roof and I will comfortably get back more than what I paid for it.
I'm also selling my Megan R26 track car and putting in some extra money to get the replacement.

My choices are a V10 Audi R8 Manual Gen1, or recently I've started looking at an AMG GT S

I would like to see if anyone has any opinion on this. Very different cars. I think the R8 is deserving of it being called a supercar, especially in V10 form. The AMG I don't think crosses that line but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ive posted this question on Audi focused groups so wanted to get a non Audi biased response to the question of pros and cons. Indeed, if anyone can suggest anything else that isn't an Audi or Merc I'd be open to hear.

Thanks very much!

The Alfa Giulia GTAm looks a bit of a weapon!

You may remember (you probably won't!) that last year I was debating between selling my CLS 350 and moving up to an E63 or a CLS63 for family duties. What I did in the end was buy a BMW M6 Competition and a BMW 540i Touring. I love both these cars, the touring especially is just perfect, being an ex BMW HQ car, it has every box ticked and is a place of luxury for the family. The M6 on the other hand is properly raw and a huge thrill to drive.

That being said, it's been a year, and I'm bored!

I'm keeping the 540i, that's not in question, but I will be selling the M6, because used prices are through the roof and I will comfortably get back more than what I paid for it.
I'm also selling my Megan R26 track car and putting in some extra money to get the replacement.

My choices are a V10 Audi R8 Manual Gen1, or recently I've started looking at an AMG GT S

I would like to see if anyone has any opinion on this. Very different cars. I think the R8 is deserving of it being called a supercar, especially in V10 form. The AMG I don't think crosses that line but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ive posted this question on Audi focused groups so wanted to get a non Audi biased response to the question of pros and cons. Indeed, if anyone can suggest anything else that isn't an Audi or Merc I'd be open to hear.

Thanks very much!
Hi , I would purchase the Mercedes in that the Audi is common ( sorry ) but the Mercedes is raw and the shape reminds me of a Porker 928

The Mercedes does have a boot but the best thing for me it's rear wheel drive , engine where it should be, really long bonnet and what a view from the driving position.

I would be happy with either car but the Merc gets my vote.

Hi , I would purchase the Mercedes in that the Audi is common ( sorry ) but the Mercedes is raw and the shape reminds me of a Porker 928

The Mercedes does have a boot but the best thing for me it's rear wheel drive , engine where it should be, really long bonnet and what a view from the driving position.

I would be happy with either car but the Merc gets my vote.
You think the Audi is common? I don’t know is the Merc would become common if it had been around as long?

RWD is great but I’ve had a lot of them recently, and mid engined was a bit of a change to try something different.
The other minor thing is that I’d like something that will hold its value or maybe climb. The v10 manuals are appreciating quickly, it’s probably a bit early to know if the AMG has reached the depreciation curve bottom.
Thoughts?

You think the Audi is common? I don’t know is the Merc would become common if it had been around as long?

RWD is great but I’ve had a lot of them recently, and mid engined was a bit of a change to try something different.
The other minor thing is that I’d like something that will hold its value or maybe climb. The v10 manuals are appreciating quickly, it’s probably a bit early to know if the AMG has reached the depreciation curve bottom.
Thoughts?
Hi , I did say ( sorry ) on my comment regarding the R8.

Did not mean to offend you.

Caution
AUDI
"Oil burners all" & you will be lucky to get better than 1 qrt per 1000miles.
Audi has even been sued over it on this side, all to no avail.
Still guzzling along & folks keep buying 'em!
Tuercas viejas

Caution
AUDI
"Oil burners all" & you will be lucky to get better than 1 qrt per 1000miles.
Audi has even been sued over it on this side, all to no avail.
Still guzzling along & folks keep buying 'em!
Tuercas viejas

Is oil consumption a bad thing for the engine? Does it clog tbe cats or foul the plugs? As long as you don't mind topping-up from time to time, obviously.

Well, I did my tests and in the end, and in the flesh side by side, the R8 edged it for me. The AMG is so curvaceous and sexy I admit but it feel visually too lost in a sea of 911s. The Merc is definitely better looking than the 911s but the R8 feels more purposeful and I love the angles. It might be much older and I would kill to have the AMG interior in the R8 but in the end I put a deposit down on a V10 manual R8, manual had to be done as I wanted to get back to one after being in dual clutch cars since my TVR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom