Back from 1500 miles drive to Scotland:)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
This is a catch all thread for several different thoughts. I've just returned from a 1500 mile drive arrive Scotland where we experienced all 4 seasons over our fortnight and thoroughly enjoyed the countryside and sea.:D

A few thoughts:

1. My car C180K averaged 33mpg over the whole holiday but the best tank was 99 Ron Momentum Tesco which achieved 37.29mpg in far from ideal driving conditions.

2. I climbed "The Law" at last - I've been meaning to for the last 25 years!

3. My a service fell due while I was there and so I printed off the Service schedule from the Mercedes ESS website and worked down the list until I was left with "check brakes and change oil and filter" as the only remaining jobs. I took my car to a Kwik Fit I've used before and booked an for an Oil Change. When I got there they proceeded to give me a choice of Mobil1 0-40 or Mobil 1 5-30 ESP. I opted for 0-40 as usual. They then set about doing a full check of everything on the service schedule, so I said to them that you do realise it is in for just an Oil change, don't you? Apparently- Mercedes and BM drivers are taking advantage of the Oil change offer and KW are losing out on it and have instructed their dealers to check everything in the hope of finding a blown bulb or a worn brake to make back some money. Having already done all the checks I knew they'd find nothing but let them do their thing under my watchful gaze. At the end I was presented with a service schedule for everything on the car together with a bill for £44.95:bannana:

(I reset the service light and ran a fault code scan myself)

4. The sea and the beaches in Scotland are amazing-see the sea below:)

Had great fun and the money saved on the service paid for the fuel whilst driving about:)

Last edited:
Always Ltd, I love Scotland- it's roads, mountains, beaches. history, people, food-I don't do sitting around holidays, I love to explore and Scotland is wonderful everytime:)

Agree wholeheartedly. A beautiful country. We try to go to Tongue once a year but couldn't make it this year. Mind you the price of fuel in highlands makes the eyes water.

Mind you the price of fuel in highlands makes the eyes water.

It's not cheap at all ... :eek:

Saying that, cheap fuel and 70-80 mph on our soulless motorway networks or an extra charge and have great roads and scenery at your disposal.

Some things make paying a little extra worthwhile.

Agree it's a price worth paying. But it's not small. Firstly the fuel is quite a bit more expensive. Secondly mpg drops due to the winding roads and slowing / stopping for passing places.

Driving in Scotland is about as good as it gets. I am so glad all the wonderful scenery and roads are on my door step.

Wild Orchids next to the Tay, then the only way to see St Andrews, and a brave seagull!

Last edited:
My neck and hands feel freezing just looking at those surfers, brings back a few memories, good on them though.....!!!

Oooh I forgot to say. One afternoon my son and and I had left the girlies to do their own thing and we went to "shop" for C class equivalents, a kind of mystery shop excercise as Perth has many main dealers.

We tried
BMW for a 3 Series
Jaguar for an XF
Alfa for a 159
Audi for an A4
and Mercedes of Perth for a C class.

Well BMW were excellent, they sat us in several models and explained the differences, costs etc. they provided a lounge with coffee for us and literature. No pushiness but good sales staff. They offered to arrange a test drive as well.

Jaguar was friendly and showed us one car properly and provided literature.

Alfa offered 20% off list there and then (!) plus literature and the offer of a test drive. I love Alfas but when I sat in a 159 and the fuse box cover was missing as were the screw covers on the door-I remembered why I don't drive one anymore!

Audi politely pointed us to a car and said they had literature "on order".

Mercedes of Perth were useless. I parked my MB in their carpark and happened to be wearing my MB jacket. None of the sales staff looked near while we explored every C Class in the show room. None of the receptionists offered us a seat while we waited for a salesman or even a coffee or a hello. After we had sat in every seat in every c Class in the showroom we helped ourselves to literature and left. Well done MB of Perth just as good as usual.....

Mmmmm, should have helped yourself to a cup of coffee and a biscuit too - while sitting down and reading the paper. Maybe on the way out ask where the local BMW & Lexus Dealerships are, ask them to get a map for you because you're not too sure of the street layout since moving here; you know that sort of thing........:):)

Last edited:
I suspect that even that wouldn't have stirred them into action!

Thanks R2D2 - Between *** and yourself you are really making me look forward to my trip. I shall be travelling up on 5th Sept and expect to cover a total of 1,700 to 2,000 miles. Hopefully petrol will be back to less than a pound a gallon when I get up there
biggrin.gif

Take loads of photos. Do you have a route planned-I'm sure we could give you some tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom