Back From Hol's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Yes unfortunatley I am back from a great week in the South of France. Bob (Motard) is a really great bloke, he should offer his services to Thomas Cooke. Set out an iternary because the weather was not as you would expect and the wow factor is beyond words.

Now starting at the begining, under pain of the unmentionable, I have to post a few pics. I will apologise now if anyone thinks this post is too long.

We arrived at Montpellier Airport and I went to collect the car. Two cars were in the designated spot, a black one and a sil.. silv ....dull chrome thing. I hit the keyfob, not knowing which was mine for the week and was gutted when I didnt see the black ones lights flashing, there had to be a mistake? Nope I got this, Oh the shame, I will never be allowed to live this one down.

hol2.jpg

Even tried to hide it in a truck stop so other Mb owners wouldnt see me in it
hol3.jpg

Caught by the wife

hol1.jpg

Now here is nothing wrong with French cars, so I have been told, but no Auto Transmittion, no power steering, no air con, you sit on the passengers side, no sun roof (no sun either), the engine was gutless and sooooooo small and finally the visibility from the drivers position needs looking at. The A pillar gets in the way at road junctions. But it was a car and cheap. I would like to say that this is what we hired and where we stayed

hol6.jpg

but I cant. We stayed in St Thierby, a quaint French Village where everyone is really so helpfull, polite and good fun to be with. The streets take some getting used to as they are so narrow. The house that we stayed in was unbelievable. All mod cons, comfy, warm and gave you the feeling that you belonged, were part of the population.

hol7.jpg

The local pub was 150 yards away. Wife liked that, not too far to stagger after some of the local red produce
:D

Day one saw us in Pezenas. Great town to visit, full of history and tradition.
Now where was that bank?
hol11.jpg

There was a bridge built by the Romans 2000 years ago, near where we stayed
hol12.jpg

Pity the Italians have forgotten how to make cars last that long

Next day was off to Carcassonne. Wow factor went through the roof here.

hol9.jpg
hol10.jpg

hol5.jpg

Its a Castle and inside lives a whole population. Very touristy though but the views from the walls were incredible.

Went to Roquefort next, you know, the cheese place.
hol13.jpg
hol14.jpg

Went for a visit through the caves where they mature the cheese. Now I have to mention this. This thing about bats and Garlic, all wrong, the French bats are immune to garlic, one followed us for a while in the caves. We, unfortunatly were not allowed to take pics inside this set of caves, it is trully awesome. We did the Cheese tasting thing. Beautifull flavour. Have a fridge full of it now, cheese butties will never be the same. One the way there we had the oppertunity to go under the higest road bridge in Europe. The Eifel Tower would slide under this bridge. Cant wait for it to open as I would like to drive across it one day.

hol15.jpg
hol19.jpg

Another day was spent at Grotto des Demoiselles. A system of caves where millions of years of errosion have left a spectacular show.

hol16.jpg
hol18.jpg

hol17.jpg

I Managed to get my hands dirty, Bob needed his wheel bearings re packing as one was rumbling quite a bit. Needless to say we are going over again next year. But going in the Green Machine. Dont trust these French Car Hire Firms, they will probably palm me off with another Shiny Grey thing and we are not having any of that, No Sir!!

Bob is a very good host and although not active here on a regular basis, has told me that there is a glass for anyone who happens to be down Florensac way. You should go, you wont regret it.

I will leave you with this.
hol8.jpg

Put a caption to the pic for some fun, like "I got bored with your Service Sir"

Last edited:
Ian B Walker said:
.... Even tried to hide it in a truck stop so other Mb owners wouldnt see me in it ...

Quality comment ! :D :D :D

Glad you had a great time.

See you there next year perhaps?

K

Kinky said:
See you there next year perhaps?

K

You can bet on that but the odds will be terrible

Very Good write-up Ian, glad that you enjoyed yourself mate. :bannana: :bannana:

Yup - excellent pics and write up Ian - so good to see you have crossed that divide :cool:

GRAV888 said:
IBW = New member of the SILVER brigade. :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Oh the shame, how ever am I going to live this down. I even had my wheels changed from shiney grey to be rid of the ailment. I need a colour infusion, is there a doctor in the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom