Back from the Alps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chattonmill

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E55 AMG
Just back from my Hols, a weeks skiing in Les Arcs.
Here's a quick video from my head cam, no, not of the Merc, watch from about 2 mins 15 secs for the best bit.
The joys of technology!
Crash! (Linky!)

I also have a GPS tracker, we notched up 64.5 mph on one slope! Lucky that the ANPR boys had a day off!

Last edited:
Errr Yep but that was not the half of it!
Trying to follow my mate is seriously damaging to your health, we did a long run from the top of Aiguille Rouge 3280 Metres high down to the next village 1200 Metres 9 km run dropping 2km in height in 8 mins 30 secs!
Luckily that was the last evening because my knees and legs had had it after:crazy:

I was using a GPS on my skiing hol a couple of weeks ago....it logged a max speed of 41mph....we dismissed this as fancifal....are you sure you reached 64.5mph....seems very fast for a recreational skier on a normal piste

I wouldnt say that I was a recreational skier, I have been skiing for 33 years and have done two full ski seasons, I am also an adrenaline junkie.
The 64 mph was not on that run, it was a clear Red run which was as smooth as glass, Newly prepped ski's and perfect snow!
I will upload the track to Sportsdo.net when I can get a mobile signal and you can have a look.

By recreational skier, I meant one who does not race.

Your recorded speed may well be right its just that downhill racers on specially prepared courses and special skis don't go that much faster.

I too have been skiing for about 30 years, including 2 seasons in Chamonix, but I doubted the max speed recorded to 40mph by my gps, especially as it was a powder day and it was unlikely that my speed would have got that high....I have noted problems with max speed readings in mountains on skis, mountain bikes and horseback.

Well done on achieving that speed....must have been really flying then!!

I have a Garmin Fortrex 201 wrist mounted GPS unit.

I use sportsdo, it seems to be fairly reliable. I have had spikes which are obvious especially when I recorded over 85 mph!
To me it seems correct as the Bob recording correlated with the time we did down the track.
We were really flying, the skis are Atomic SX12's Link The best ski I have owned. The punishment they can take is unbelievable!

Nice looking skis!

More of an all-terrain / off-piste / powder man myself....ski on Salomon X-Wing Furys......not into high speed but love steep tricky stuff

I love the Powder, but the last few years the snow has been awful so I went for these.
I have to say I was surprised how well they cope off piste, enough floatation to have a lot of fun!

Would the rapid reduction in altitude "fool" the logger into giving a high mph?

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out which resort you went to as I knew I recognised the slope... remembered it was Les Arcs just last year and then i re read your post...

There is a lovely black run at the lift where you started, takes you directly down to where your mate fell over..

What a great resort eh? Looks a bit chilly though...

Nice mulled wine in that little cafe you stopped off at...

Very good Jay!
The best run was from the top of the Aiguille Rouge down to Valroger 9 kms of great snow and almost empty pistes!
As for cold......it went down to -27 on one day:eek:

-27 deg! no wonder the slopes were empty!....went down to -10 whilst skiing in Jan...that was cold enough for me!

Was -14 in Resort and - 27 up the hill, so cold that the skis would not run on the snow, almost frozen in place at times, luckily that was only on one day!

Gawd, thats bad....have skied in -20 and that was bad enough....had to keep having coffe breaks to get warm...

Had my first skiing trip over the Christmas holidays, spent two weeks in the Caucus mountains in Russia (resort called Dombai, or Dombay no firm spelling due to translation). First couple of days on the nursery slopes was frustrating and it took a while to get used to the whole leaning forward thing, felt very un-natural. But as soon as I got confident and found my feet (or skis) I started to love it and was complimented on my technique by one of the ski guides.

Can't wait to go again.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom