Back in a Mercedes and Loving It.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
After a while of self imposed exile I'm back in an S124. You just cant get them out of your DNA. Thank you to Charles Morgan and Tron for their stewardship of this motor car too.

Well first time Ive used this way of posting a picture lets see how she blows.

Looks lovely. I love the S124s. Let me know when it's time to sell

And there she blows. Just turned over 222222 (six little ducks) miles. A history file that goes way back. A previous owner ever has a "google" He is or was one Peter Coxhead MBE but unfortunately an obituary in The Telegraph now to go with his MBE.

Cost new when ordered some £36,537.44 cost to me, - priceless. It still has the original stereo fitted but it is an "extra" A Pioneer with the cassette player behind the radio head and a six stack CD Player houses near the First Aid Kit. Leather ICE cold Aircon but an hilarious outside temperature and the standard comedy fuel gauge - most endearing qualities to me. Oh electric and autho drivers seat, front passenger is poverty spec "shift it yourself job" The colour is Mercedes Blue/black though really grey. Therefore and henceforth the car shall be called Lady Jane Grey.
I plan no modifications whatsoever but so wish Mr Coxhead has ticked the "cruise control" box but what use would that have been in a London car.
Engine you ask, why 300D 24v, if Carlsberg did diesel engines - exactly this would have been their offering.

Last edited:
Congratulations TJ, I saw the car at the Brooklands GTG a few weeks back and she wears the miles very well indeed. Having followed Charles home for a few miles, I can confirm she can pick up her skirts when needed too! Enjoy.

Cheers,

Gaz

In all my ownership of W124s I'd never come across one with a history file so complete and so comprehensive. A long term owner for 13 years who had her serviced on the dot by an independent who used only MB parts (and charged handsomely for the privilege) and a lot of bodywork, plus all the necessary suspension part replacements. Tron had found her and sorted the glowplugs and loom, I had the steering idler, engine mounts and K1 springs done, and she is on the button. Like all cars that have been properly maintained you don't buy yourself the ability to run the car into the ground, but you do buy some peace from unexpected problems hitting you hard when you least want.

I had bought her as a runaround but decided she was far too good for that, so passed her on at my cost to John, who I know will look after her and treat her properly. She rides like an S class and drives beautifully, like all multivalve non-turbo diesels, she needs to be revved like an Italian car, but the acceleration (by dint of a low ratio diff) is there, the cruising revvier than it should be, but that's the compromise.

Very nice.

I saw one very similar to this on the M40 or M42 on Saturday, had to slow down a little to admire it. Wasn't you was it?

Possibly, Charles Morgan bringing her North. We did the ownership change in Birmingham. If you are any good at remembering number plates it contains the number 100 and is N Reg. The letters represent the measurement of dark matter, so it says on google. Mercedes detachable tow bar too if that helps.

If it was this Saturday just gone sadly not as it was the week before the deed was done. It may though have been Asad R. who has just had a glass out respray on his car which is exactly the same colour as mine.

Last edited:
Congratulations John, I do love an E-Class estate of any vintage!

Morning Lee I dread to think what you are driving round in now. No doubt something ending in the letter "i"

It came up on Saturday 19th via the M40 and M42 (then M6) enabling me to collect my Alpina from Brum and John to continue on north on the M6 (a brilliant spot for changing over cars if one of you lives SE and the other NW!).

Well done John (and Charles & Tron) that's a handsome car :thumb:

Morning Lee I dread to think what you are driving round in now. No doubt something ending in the letter "i"

Morning John, it's good to see you posting again, you've been much missed pal!

Sadly driving nothing exotic at the minute (a 4Motion Passat Alltrack) got three businesses to run and until we get our first dividends more is going in than coming out!

Yes much admired at the Brooklands GTG. Enjoy.

Photo's of the Alpina Charles, please.

The more I look at the picture the more I like the colour combination. These are (IMO) timeless wagons that would grace the driveway in any country house. That colour has a very classy look to it. Certainly well worth the investment and looking after for years to come. Good luck John.

well done Mr B and Mr M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom