Back in a product of Stuttgart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
Got bored of driving a tractor of a Landcruiser so decided to make the switch back to a nice smooth German car:D.

I did try and upload a pic direct from my phone but it says image too large so will have to tinker around on the computer later.

I picked up a very clean, well maintained 2004 Cayenne Turbo, it handles really well and absolutely flies for something so big!!, feels solid too, only negative is it’s thirst for petrol but it’s so fun flooring it at the moment.
No major plans to change much on it except ditch the blingtastic 22 inch wheels for some standard Porsche 20s and probably get it remapped which will take it up to 520 BHP.

Ok ok I know it’s not a Merc, but they’re neighbours so why not :p .

It’s a 4.5 V8 bi turbo.

I thought the 04 4.5v8 makes 340bhp stock doesn’t it?

You reckon you can get another 180bhp from a remap?

I thought the 04 4.5v8 makes 340bhp stock doesn’t it?

You reckon you can get another 180bhp from a remap?

That’s the naturally aspirated V8 in the Cayenne S, the Cayenne Turbo makes 450 in standard trim.

That’s the naturally aspirated V8 in the Cayenne S, the Cayenne Turbo makes 450 in standard trim.

Ah okay enjoy!!!

Also my respect...I have no issue taking on big lumpy cars but I'm not even sure I'm that brave. Fortune favours the brave apparently so I hope it does. Enjoy [emoji6]

Passes most things apart from petrol stations.
Enjoy. Lovely motors even if they are a tad amphibious fugly.

When Porsche decided to enter the SUV market, one of their very first criteria was to decide how fast it would get around the Nurburgring.....(!)
They may not pass fuel stations, be the belle of the ball or be ridiculously practical, but they do pass the 'fast' test.....and make up well over 50% of Porsche's production numbers

Well done,they are great cars,ok so it is a 2004,there are a possible couple of problems with this car,first is a ticking noise from the bores,you have the turbo which has a different coating to the cylinders and should be ok the other is the coolant pipes running along the top of the engine these were plastic and they get brittle and leak,there are now metal ones on the market to get over this problem,now if you are a hands on sort of guy ,handy with the spanners owning one can be great,but the trade sell these cars cheap or what looks like cheap because the problems are well known and if you think mercedes charge for garage time,you will faint clean away when the Porsche boys give you the bill,just to lift the bonnet is £500:rolleyes:

Huge amount of car for the money.... a good indie for any issues and your sorted... and as i see your in Surrey.. Contact Ray Northway @ "Northway Porsche", I've used him for 4 of my previous cars, he was the 1st tech at Reading Porsche HQ many many many years ago and is now one of the UKs best indies...

Reactions: Oli
When Porsche decided to enter the SUV market, one of their very first criteria was to decide how fast it would get around the Nurburgring.....(!)
They may not pass fuel stations, be the belle of the ball or be ridiculously practical, but they do pass the 'fast' test.....and make up well over 50% of Porsche's production numbers

I remember the press at the time being astonished at how Porsche had managed to hide the height and weight with the then-trick suspension.

Huge amount of car for the money.... a good indie for any issues and your sorted... and as i see your in Surrey.. Contact Ray Northway @ "Northway Porsche", I've used him for 4 of my previous cars, he was the 1st tech at Reading Porsche HQ many many many years ago and is now one of the UKs best indies...
I’ve never heard of this crowd but looking at their website I might have a trip down there.

It’s nice to see on their used car section, a 996 C4S with pretty much the same mileage as mine for over £27000. Makes me a happy bunny.

You, Sir have my respect for having plums the size of footballs to buy a 14 year old Cayenne.

Says the guy with a 14 year old 996 Carrera :D

Well done,they are great cars,ok so it is a 2004,there are a possible couple of problems with this car,first is a ticking noise from the bores,you have the turbo which has a different coating to the cylinders and should be ok the other is the coolant pipes running along the top of the engine these were plastic and they get brittle and leak,there are now metal ones on the market to get over this problem,now if you are a hands on sort of guy ,handy with the spanners owning one can be great,but the trade sell these cars cheap or what looks like cheap because the problems are well known and if you think mercedes charge for garage time,you will faint clean away when the Porsche boys give you the bill,just to lift the bonnet is £500:rolleyes:

I did do my homework quite extensively before taking the plunge, the engine bore issue is only on the N/A V8, both the Turbo and the 3.2 V6 are immune from that one.
Thankfully I found one that has already had the coolant pipes changed for the newer,metal ones and has had a replacement prop shaft as well as the air suspension compressor, all within the last 25k Miles!.

It is definately fast, in fact it doesn’t feel miles off my old E55 or SL55!, which is amazing in something that big.

It is bad on fuel though, fortunately I don’t do that many miles, which is why I decided to get the Turbo over the V6, with diesel cars death knell well and truly sounded I fancied a nice smooth petrol again.
I’m going to see what it’s like to live with fuel wise over the next few weeks and make the decision to either carry on with it as is, or get it LPG converted and run it for the next 4 years or so.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of this crowd but looking at their website I might have a trip down there.

It’s nice to see on their used car section, a 996 C4S with pretty much the same mileage as mine for over £27000. Makes me a happy bunny.

When I got my SL55 a few years ago I was also considering a 996 Turbo and looked at one from them, ultimately I went with the SL but regret it now, looking at the value of 996s!.

When I got my SL55 a few years ago I was also considering a 996 Turbo and looked at one from them, ultimately I went with the SL but regret it now, looking at the value of 996s!.
996 Turbos are a different kettle of fish than the C2 or C4. They don’t have the IMS problem and are worth good money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom