Back in Saarland- Völklinger Hütte visit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Back visiting my wife's folks again. One of you suggested visiting the iron works in Völklingen. Great shout. A world heritage site and very interesting. Great views from the top of the biggest blast furnace (50 meters up). Worth the 15€ ( under18 free).This year a Buddha photo art exhibition to see as well.

image-2947165592.jpg

image-3949509648.jpg

image-2371229387.jpg

image-4078934942.jpg

My phone camera don't do the place justice . The last one is taken in the blower room. Gas from the coked coal powers this massive engine which drives an interesting air pump that combines an oil mist to make the 'blast' for the furnaces.
There are good models and display areas a-la science museum, great for children. Your free to roam around as well, it's a big site!

Tim. That looks amazing. Thank for the pics. But I can imagine it's so much better for real.

Ant.

Got excited thinking I'd see asbestos everywhere but none in sight! (Externally)

Sites like that over here still have the cladding over the furnaces and flues

Great pics, would love to have a wonder round it

Today we went to the Saarschleife where the river Saar does a 180 degree on itself. I haven't been here for a few years and now the've built an 'I'm a celebrity' style tree top walkway up to 23 metres high through the forest culminating in a 47 meter high viewing platform that is wheel chair friendly giving even better views than before. The whole structure moves a bit in the wind, not everybody's thing! Spectacular views and worth the trip if your in this part of the world .

image-2200020938.jpg

image-804912444.jpg

image-1122215557.jpg

image-2018451736.jpg

The last picture shows the top of the viewing platform to try and give some perspective .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom