BACK TO THE FUTURE - Literally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Gents, Ladies, so today i went to collect my car from Mercedes-Benz of Lincoln. What an amazing experience, and what a dealership!

They come highly highly recommended.

Anyhow, putting my car aside for just one minute, look what i spotted on the showroom floor, for sale, and may i say, put some class back into the Mercedes Dealerships showroom!

I have not seen such a wonderful example, and i can't recall how they looked in a showroom when new during the 80's.. so to see such a great car gracing the dealership was really something special!

Anyway, here are the pics, and the car has a very special owner - can't recall the name, but some one on here must know the history on this baby..

for sale at £39k

asl107-1.JPG

asl107-2.JPG

asl107-3.JPG

asl107-4.JPG

asl107-5.JPG

asl107-6.JPG

asl107-7.JPG

asl107-8.JPG

I would buy it in a flash,but the government are taking €1200 a month now & its going to get worse,but then again we are going to be bank rolled by the uk why not spend it like beckham :D:D

keep payin those taxes:bannana:

Too dear.

You think so? How much would a 1-year old, 7000-mile V8 5-litre convertible from Mercedes, Lexus or BMW cost?

Buying one of these is a lifestyle choice, it's not like buying a new/newish car. If you want a smooth, wafty convertible that's stylish, why not buy one of these in preference to a new car? The new car will lose 60% of its value in 3 years whilst this will lose maybe 30%

So not only do you have a cooler car with the R107, it'll cost you less to maintain, less in depreciation, less to insure and probably less to tax

You have to see past the capital cost

Nick Froome

Well said Nick, plus it oozes so much more class than any modern tin!!!:cool:

Nice one Darren.. yes they have it on show.. the owner also has a very very low mileage original gullwing, with even less miles on it.. and then he has other classics..

he is a famous guy... but i can recall the name.. obviously not famous enough for me..lol

i think his name is Terry.. or Trevor something..

That is beautiful - I am almost tempted...

WoW!! Lovely car!! I really like those SLs - after having one from CCC I'm really impressed with how modern they feel too. Excellent spot Boss! :)

I always feel these cars are a bit of a poisoned chalice. Its high price is a true reflection of its low mileage BUT if its new owner was to put some miles on it by driving it as it should be driven-- long roads trips across Europe, the impromptu top down trip down the pub of a nice summers evening etc it will rapidly drop in value to the price of a higher mileage well restored example. The worst case scenario is buying it and using it a couple of times a year for shows for fear of it losing that low mileage value.:dk:
I guess what I am saying subtract the value of a well restored higher mileage example from the asking price and ask yourself if you are prepared to lose that price premium if you use the car as intended ?

Last edited:
I always feel these cars are a bit of a poisoned chalice. Its high price is a true reflection of its low mileage BUT if its new owner was to put some miles on it by driving it as it should be driven-- long roads trips across Europe, the impromptu top down trip down the pub of a nice summers evening etc it will rapidly drop in value to the price of a higher mileage well restored example. The worst case scenario is buying it and using it a couple of times a year for shows for fear of it losing that low mileage value.:dk:
I guess what I am saying subtract the value of a well restored higher mileage example from the asking price and ask yourself if you are prepared to lose that price premium if you use the car as intended ?
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement....^
Cars like this one become a bit of an oxymoron, where you buy it for its condition and mileage, then don't give it the drive it deserves.
I think it is a shame that it will only be bought by someone who will then dry store it and do about 100 miles a year...:rolleyes:

Looks lovely right up until you get to the 'spoiler' on the boot, which looks Halfords esq. Can't believe that MB used to put these on, totally spoils the look.

I agree that's a lovely car, but I also believe that it's seriously overpriced, even with 107s at the prices they're fetching now. I seem to recall there was an unregistered SL which went for about the same price a few years ago, and although it may have been worth it, I think this one isn't. Admittedly it's a lovely car and is very unusual with such a mileage, but I'm afraid I'd rather spend a great deal less on a similarly attractive car with a higher mileage which I wouldn't feel guilty about using. As soon as someone buys the above SL and uses it with a degree of regularity, the value will plummet, as the mileage is really the only thing which seperates it from other SLs, in my view anyway.
It is great to see some classics in modern dealers, just makes it that little bit more interesting, and perhaps shows classics to people who may not have seen one at close quarters before.
Nice car, but seriously overpriced.

Value is a funny old thing, but basically its what someone will sell something for, and what someone will pay.
Any old numpty can "put a value on a car, house...etc" but until a deal is done, then in real terms the figure is pretty irrelevant. The 107 seems expensive and the fact it has been for sale a long time indicates its current price tag does not reflect its true market value. However, if it eventually sells at 38k or near enough....then its value will have been correct all along;)

Looks lovely right up until you get to the 'spoiler' on the boot, which looks Halfords esq. Can't believe that MB used to put these on, totally spoils the look.

Oh, dont start that again !

We have been throught this sooo many times.:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom