Back touring in Scotland...business as usual!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by st4, Jul 6, 2011.

1. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    On Sunday I decided to take a run upto Pitlochary to see my friend Greig (who the Scots forum members have met) for some lunch and a day out. He was coming down from the Highlands so it was a convenient place to meet.

Needless to say I could have gone up the boring way by the A9, but I thought, no, nice day, lets turn this into a mini tour of Perthshire and the less westerly parts of Scotland.

Sunday was a lovely day and it was good to be piloting the shed back on its home turf. I headed up the A82 up the “bonnie banks of Loch Lomond” and then onto Crianlarch.

[​IMG]

Being hilly and wet Scotland does let itself nicely to Hydro electric power.

[​IMG]

On From Crianlarch down the A85 to Lix Toll and onto Killin.

[​IMG]

I stopped and took a stroll and some pics as I had plenty of time on my hands and was nice to be out and about (as usual really). Then onto Pitlochary down Loch Tay. This road is fun, but narrow and its easy to overcook it if you are not carefully. I nearly bent my last car up on this road (too fast into a bend)….this time I treaded more carefully.

The pub we went to was called the “Moulin Hotel”. It was lovely to sit outside and eat. Local cuisne was order of the day with Venison, and Aberdeen Angus. Yum.

[​IMG]

Some of the Scots chaps may wish to consider a lunch here, its reasonably priced and a bit of a drive, which is good.

Greigs pal Craig also came along, in an Impreza. Having been subjected to the charms and pitfalls of such a car the day before, it was time again. We all took turns of driving up the hill. This is a good driving route, as would the droves of classic cars (TR7’s etc) charging up.

With roads like this, who can blame them

[​IMG]

Taking the shed up here was a lot of fun….

Craig enjoyed taking his Impreza up here (city boy)

[​IMG]

And I was being myself

[​IMG]

Greig and Craig left the scene and I thought, sod it. I need to do more driving and touring and headed for Kinloch Rannoch (via Aberfeldy), and down the Loch Rannoch and over to the station. This is a brilliant drive and wonderful scenery.

[​IMG]

1st Stop, Tummel Bridge, another power station and a shed parked outside

[​IMG]

Loch Rannoch, some pics.

View westwards from Kinloch Rannoch

[​IMG]

View South East Half way along

[​IMG]

Yep, you are not seeing things

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting to Rannoch Station, the road stops, you cannot get westward. If you were to cross the moor you would hit Kinlochleven and Glencoe.

The feeling of “being in the middle of nowhere” does not quite cover it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, I was due back at work on Monday and wanted one last hurrah before hitting the grindstone.

After Loch Rannoch it was a sprint back to Pitlochary via Loch Tummel and queens view

[​IMG]

Back down to Crief via Dunkeld and over the Sma Glen. This is another brilliant driving road, very well sighted and you can take in the scenery or press on. The choice is yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here, back down Loch Earn via St Fillans and Comrie and through the Trossachs to Loch Lubnaig

[​IMG]

To make things harder on the shed and better for me, I took the Dukes pass and really gave her stick. With her sports suspension, wheel mounted buttons and more heavily bolstered seats, she came alive and drove with real conviction down that road.

After that, I took her home gently, she gave me a great day out.

Loch Lomond looking onto Ben Lomond

[​IMG]

The figures speak volumes

[​IMG]

Narrow tight roads a lot of the way. Was reading 40mpg by Pitlochary but a spanking up the hill from Moulin, and a tight run down Loch Rannoch and a complete hiding on the Dukes pass was never going to give good MPG.

What it did do was get me to see my friend in comfort, then gave me a lot of fun for the rest of the day.

Full Album here

07 July pictures by stephentaylor4 - Photobucket

23 people like this.
  2. d w124

d w124 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    Some nice pictures there Steve,thnx for sharing them

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    My pleasure, I just love getting out and about and what a way to do it mate. Behind a Mercedes:cool:

4. Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
    I absolutely love this picture, great camera work :)

4 people like this.
  5. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    lovely!!
    I miss Scotland and all places 'northerly'

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Its not often Sunny though, but when it is, its lovely.

20 plus degree heat all the day, shorts and T ****s weather. Had both windows down most of the tour, and actually would have liked a wee sunroof to get the wind in my hair.

Today, so cold and wet, I needed the seat heaters. The shed has me covered....

2 people like this.
  7. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    Great stuff, Steve.

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

8. Dichtung

Dichtung Active Member

Car:
    W203 2.2Cdi

1 person likes this.
  9. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Enthusiast

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    Great photo's Steve, many thanks for sharing. Do you ever stay in one place ?

1 person likes this.
  10. corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    Great photos Steve! Thanks for posting.

Do you work as a sideline for the Scottish Tourism Board?

1 person likes this.
  11. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.

Rumbled! :devil:

1 person likes this.
  12. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Enthusiast

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    And Cornwall :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I love your pictures mate.. wish I had as much time as you do... Makes me want to jump in the SL and drive up there.. but knowing my luck it'll be pouring the day i get the time.

1 person likes this.
  14. Londonscottish

Londonscottish MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500
    Yeah - amazing pic - really jumped out at me.

Another great road trip and great write up.

15. OP
    OP
    st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Thanks fellas for your kind words. I love driving and taking pics and getting about. Jay I've turned down a big career oppertunity as it would eat into my spare time. I am a work to live sorta bloke. Weather wise it can be iffy here. Worth it when its not. Why not check a weather forecast and go for it if its clear. Plus there is the driving weekend in the events section. Paul to work doing this for s living would be a dream come true. Right now I'm in the staff canteen tucking in whilst on the mbc app

16. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Would love to mate but on top of my 7 day work week ive just had a baby boy so he keeps me occupied every spare second i get...
    even had to service all 8 of my cars before he was born as I knew my time would be limited after.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sealandroader

Sealandroader New Member

Car:
    212 e class
    wonderful pictures and scenery, what a superb journey.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
    I go up to Scotland quite a bit, as my wife is from Dundee. Every time the weather is good I think I will jump in the car and go for a nice drive and take some photos, but I never get the time.

The best that I managed this last time was some shots with my phone of the beach whilst out on a training run in Monifieth.

19. OP
    OP
    st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    You are a credit to yourself I have it a lit easier. Tan try find the time and make a trip west scenery is magic over west of Scotland

20. developer

developer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    Great pictures as usual Steve,

I'm just a little worried though.

At your age there should be less nooks and crannies and more t*ts and bums in the frame.

When I was your age the phrase "up at the crack of dawn" didn't have me reaching for the car keys and the Nikon :D.