Background check

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by oorjim2, Sep 18, 2008.

1. oorjim2

oorjim2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2
    I had to get a police background clearance check done last week £70 for it to be done in two days. Posted it on Wednesday got a call on Thursday to say that there were two convictions against my name one in Devon and one in Lanarkshire up here. The most I have ever had is a parking ticket in the last 27 years, so as you can imagine I was not to pleased to here this and the only way to resolve this was for to get my finger prints taken at the local police station and have them sent down so they could check them against the ones on record. Got a call on Monday to say it had all been fixed out and that I had been telling the truth and the NPC had been updated to show this. I just wonder how long that had been against my name, scary stuff. :eek:
    Jim.

2. recycled

recycled Hardcore MB Enthusiast

could be a trick just to get your fingerprints on to the database:D

nb:Just a joke. no bashing here

3. Defiant

Defiant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 C320 Coupe\71 220 gas, 4-speed\95 Talon TSi AWD\97 J30\79 GS1000S\80 SR500\'69 Datsun 2000
    Not many names are truly rare anymore, although them to think it might be you without the date of birth and whatever you folk use for a driver's license or other governmental ID number also matching up is fairly absurd.
    I don't know. I've never had enough of a criminal intent to much care who knows what about me.
    Try it out here in California with a Mexican name. The system nearly collapses on itself.

4. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    Scary stuff indeed:crazy: . Glad it's resolved though.

5. kth286

kth286 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Coupe

6. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    My gf started a new job this week with the police (accounting) and I had to be checked out as part of the process, apparently I passed (not surprising really, I'm fairly boring!).
    So running away to America with my new name "Miguel Sanchez" isn't going to help me?

7. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Hold on.
    Your name is oorjim.
    In Lanarkshire.
    By my reckoning there would be a couple of million with the same name as you.
    Try changing it to something unique for the area, like bigshuggie or wee-eck

8. fyonn

fyonn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d
    obviously the police must have decided not to hold against you the evidence I gave them...

but you should be okay with "Santos L Halper"...

9. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    With an innocent face like mine? Nothing would stick! :)

10. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Pretty outrageous charge for a computer lookup at that was incorrect.

Ther should be a rule of principle that if you have a check done then you should get a refund where there have to be corrections. This should apply to credit agencies as well.

11. SimonsMerc

SimonsMerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, VW Passat B6, Suzuki GSX-650F, Suzuki DRZ-400SM
    Absolutely agree.

My BMW failed HPI when I came to sell it - there was a record of outstanding finance. I had never taken finance out on the car, and the finance company mentioned on the HPI check had never heard of the car, my name or the "loan account number" from the HPI check. And it still took two weeks to resolve, and I had to pay to get another HPI check to confirm that it's removed (they wouldn't do one for free and wouldn't write to me confirming removal).

12. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I would introduce a 'reference libel' law for any agency that holds information on you.

1) they are obliged to disclose all information they hold on you for £1.

2) if that information is materially wrong they are obligated to correct within so many days and pay you £10.

3) If they have disclosed information to third parties that was incorrect within a period (eg. 60 days) they are required to notify those parties with the correction.

4) and if they fail to meet the obligation to correct and subsequently disclose the information to a third party then they are deemed to have libelled you and pay damages.

It infuriates me that the onus is assumed to be on you to check 'your credit file' when the responsibility should be on those holding the information to ensure that it is correct. It seems to me that they get paid by their customers for checks and expect you to sort out their mistakes. Win-win with no responsibility for them :mad:

13. OP
    OP
    oorjim2

Car:
    03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2
    When I sent the form away I had to provide DOB and every address that I have stayed in and a passport picture as well and they still wanted me to get the finger prints done before they resolved the matter. Just happy they got it fixed out in the end. :bannana: :bannana:

14. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    No No! There has to be at least one 'Z' in the surname and be suffixed by Sr. or Jr.

Santos L Hzalper Sr.

15. recycled

recycled Hardcore MB Enthusiast

What exactly does £70 cover, the check and the correction, or just the checks and the paperwork with it?

16. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)

Well, you're almost right.

Best wishes,

Santos L Hzalper III

(oh - and mum says "Hi, Grandpa!")
    :D

17. fyonn

fyonn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d
    not even facial hair... ;)

<duck>

18. OP
    OP
    oorjim2

Car:
    03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2

Just the check and the paperwor and to have it returned in two days.

19. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    :confused: She knows me then? LOL

Speaking of which, off to pick up my grandsons so they can stay over tonight Carpet picnic, high caffine coke, bue smarties... :devil: :bannana: :bannana:

20. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Glad to hear that oorjim2 has had the problem sorted out (at least on the surface), as it obviously had the potential to cause him problems in the future. I say "on the surface" because how can he be certain that it hasn't caused him problems in the past that he is unaware of? He'll probably never know...

And what is often forgotton is that there's another side to this coin. Whoever the convictions really related to could easily have had a background check carried out on them that came back clean, thus potentially allowing them into a position of trust that they shouldn't be in.

But don't worry, if you've not done anything wrong you have nothing to fear about the State keeping records on all aspects of your life. Now where have I heard that before :rolleyes: