Background check

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by oorjim2, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Part of the prtoblem of this record keeping is the disconnect.

UK residents and citizens pop up in lots of databases.

NHS
    HMRC
    Electoral Roll
    Council Tax
    DVLA
    TV Licensing
    DHSS - or whatever it's called these days

And then you have the police. The police have a huge problem all of their own (making) just by themsleves. However their problems are not dissimilar to the problem of joining up the other databases.

So for example if you are 'John Smith' it's really hard to join up the different records - your health, tax, driving licence, etc. You can make assumptions that this 'John Smith' is the same as that 'John Smith' if you have decent matches for things like birth date and address. However information gets misentered and becomes out of date. There are a lot of residents in the country so even if 5% of the database records have bad or out of date information then you have a huge problem.

Now in principle if you have an ID number that is used across all these databases a lot of the problems disappear.

In practice - remember this is the UK - and the government and its agencies and police will just mess up an ID system and screw over the taxpayer big time, yet again.

2. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    A colleague of mine, after moving house decided to make sure all his accounts and utilities had his name in the same format, with no short names and no middle name or initial. After doing this he had the council, banks and bailiffs on his door within days because they'd all been looking out for someone matching his name in that city for months/years. He was accused of not paying utility bills/council tax, defaulting on mortgages, CCJs etc. It took a couple of court appearances to get it all taken care of!

3. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    :eek: is that how much disclosure scotland checks cost

4. OP
    OP
    oorjim2

oorjim2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2

No this was not a Disclosure Scotland but I had a Disclosure Scotland check about 2 weeks before and they asked the same thing as the police did about Devon, but after I spoke to them on the phone they sent out the certificate so I thought it had all been cleared.

5. Dragon

Dragon Banned

£45 at CRB Scotland.