Backing up and reformatting laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Hi everyone,

My 2.5 year old IBM ThinkPad T43 has been getting very slow and cluttered over the last few months/year.

I'm hoping to reformat and reinstall the OS (Windows XP) later this evening.

IBM/Lenovo appear to list most drivers (later versions too) on their website, so that should be OK I hope.

I've backed up 'my documents' (pics/music/videos) and copied the favourites accross to a portable HD (iPod).

Trying to think if I've missed anything before I take the plunge and reformat. Can anyone think of anything to check/backup before I go for it?

I can't find the original XP Pro disks, but I have a spare licensed copy of XP Media Centre Edition here, any problems envisaged with this?

Any advice most appreciated :)

Will

If I were you; I'de download the netork adapter and cd-drive drivers to a USB stick... I've seen a few re-installs where windows refused to recognise both the CD drive and the Network adapter without a driver which meant getting another computer.

Also, if you use outlook you will want to backup that (or other email/contact manager software)

Bookmarks? Web-site passwords? Programs that you would have a hard time finding the disks for? Data that those programs might save in obscure locations?

As for XP - not totally sure, but I think XP media center might be a restrictive compared to pro... but im not too sure here (It's Vista, 2000 or OsX for me - in that order!)

Cheers Spinal,

Hmm, I'd prefer XP Pro to be honest, but if I can't find the disk, I am kind of stuck I guess.

As my machine has a proper license for XP Pro (license/key is on a sticker underneath), can I use another XP Pro disk do you think (if I can find anyone who's got one?)

Is MCE ok? Anyone else have good/bad experiences?

Re: web site passwords, I'll probably remember most of them, but some of the ones that are stored - is there an easy way to copy them accross (I guess not!)

Fortunately, there is more than one computer at home, so if it all goes pear shaped I'll have a bit of leeway (still be able to get one mbclub :bannana:)

Cheers again,

Will

I'd be nervous about doing this anyway, but I wouldn't dream of doing it without a copy of XP Pro, or, worst case, a clone of the existing drive using something like Acronis True Image to fall back on.

You'll probably find that once you re-load it, add all the updates, anti-virus etc, that it won't make much difference (beyond what a normal clean-up could do).

Cheers Rory,

Basically, it's in need of more than a good clean up and update, there's 2.5 years worth of junk on here - old programs that are no longer used, bits of programs that have been uninstalled/stopped working etc.

I've had 3 different anti-virus programs from over the years and I'm sure they've not removed themselves 'without a trace' (Norton trial which came with the system, AVG which I used for a year or two, and MS live onecare - current).

Old programs such as WIS which is/was very temperamental, DVD software, music software etc etc.

From past experience, a clean install gives a new lease of life to most PCs and laptops that I've had before, also forces oneself to have a proper clearout by only backing up stuff you really need!

Anyway, having spoken to someone it looks as though my thinkpad laptop might have a recovery/restore of XP pro on the HD in a hidden partition, I'm about to have a look so that might be me busy for the next hour or two!

Anyone think of anything else to back up that I might have forgotton??!!

Will

Anyway, having spoken to someone it looks as though my thinkpad laptop might have a recovery/restore of XP pro on the HD in a hidden partition, I'm about to have a look so that might be me busy for the next hour or two!

Anyone think of anything else to back up that I might have forgotton??!!

Will

Actually, I was going to mention that you'll lose the "Access IBM" button, and the recovery partition, but I've never used it in 2 yrs of having a T43 anyway.

Crikey, that was easy!

It's pretty much all done, last few IBM 'customisations' are going through.

Other than that, and re-installing a few programs, reloading my documents back on it's finished!

Most worthwhile.

I'll report back once it's all finished but first impressions are that it's running faster than it ever has done (it's got 1GB RAM now too :) )

Brilliant.

Will

Spooky. I'm about to do the same to my Brother-in-Laws HP Pavillion.

Not looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will only take me an hour too!!

I'm sure you'll be ok :)

I remember about the 'IBM Rescue and Restore' feature from when I first got it thinking back. Since I moved I can't find the original discs (assuming there was one!), but this rescue/restore is exactly the same. Complete format of the main partitioned hard drive, a clean XP install and then it automatically installs all of the IBM stuff - drivers/applications.

Just need to run all the updates, win-doze, IE, etc.

So much faster, should have done this months ago (until I remember something, that I forgot to remember to back up.... :eek: )

Will

Any many thanks to 'Kinky' (Mark) for his help and reminder about the R+R feature that I'd forgotton ;)

Will

Re: web site passwords, I'll probably remember most of them, but some of the ones that are stored - is there an easy way to copy them accross (I guess not!)Will

I'm happy it went well!

Actually, yes there is a way to get them out of I.E.'s depths! There are several tools out there, but a quick search for:

USB Switchblade

will reveal a quite powerful tool. Personally, I think it was designed for malicious use - but I've found it extremely helpful in preparing for a format as it gives you one organised file with all your bookmarks, most of your passwords (i.e., chat, windows, etc), your windows key (no need to read the sticker) and a few other settings.

Oh yeah - and they go straight onto a USB stick, so once you format you can still access them!

Michele

Cheers Spinal,

Noted for future use!

I managed to remember my .NET details, most of the other stuff should be easy enough to remember (I hope!)

System now runs so much better, snappy!

Just updating everything and downloading various apps (iTunes, Live OneCare, IE and Media Player updates etc)

Will

Tried to repair first but unsuccessful.

Format and re-install was quicker than I expected, but the driver disk is taking forever!!

I'm happy it went well!

Actually, yes there is a way to get them out of I.E.'s depths! There are several tools out there, but a quick search for:

USB Switchblade

[snipped]

Michele

My god, the most powerful version is at the bottom of that link and is dangerous as hell.

I ran it with my Ethernet cable unplugged on a spare machine here and I'm still unconvinced that it was safe to do as part of the install involved temporarily disabling your AV program whilst extracting the rar file.

Anyway, the information it gathers about any PC that the pen drive was plugged into is truly shocking. So much so, I think I have to show this to our IT security chap. No wonder some companies are disabling USB drive usage by group policy. I cant begin to express my shock at what this thing did, and it did it without alerting my AV program or my spyware program.

Firstly it gathers all stored passwords in I.E., no surprise there really, but scary if your Banking or paypal and ebay passwords are cached... (makes mental note to delete all cached IE passwords. Then it lists your mail account and password details and your IM account and password. It also lists the security updates (so if there's any missing, and there's a vulnerability, the attacker knows). It also grabs all your licence keys and installs VNC.

Now here's the really scary bit for me... It also also found all the passwords to all the servers I'd ever ran a remote session to in the past from this PC. Once done, it emails the info to an address of your choosing. Frankly, with this info, an attacker could bring my company down on its knees.. and were talking about a big multinational company here. :eek:

All the attacker has to do to get all this info is to get you to plug the USB stick in your PC for 20 seconds. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm now running a thorough virus check on the PC and a manual check to make sure nothing is left behind that might attempt to ftp this same info to the creators or affiliates of this clever suite of programs. Its not going back on the network until I am sure its clean (this may not be possible and may require a reformat).

I need to research this some more but in the meantime, be very careful with this as this is exactly how people get their paypal accounts and bank accounts compromised.

Last edited:
My god, the most powerful version is at the bottom of that link and is dangerous as hell.

It is - we've been fairly lucky being mostly Macintosh based.

Needless to say, disabling autorun is the first step (but not the solution).

There are quite a few different versions of the program; some of which (USB Hacksaw) will install a script that emails you the data from all future USB sticks plugged in.

If you don't disable your av while extracting it (I seriously recomend trying it if you're interested) you get an alert for a "HackTool".

Also to note, is if you go through the components it has on the USB stick, its fairly simple. (so simple in fact, that I doubt anyone of great knowledge compiled it!). It takes an existing program (a version of pwdump) and simply puts it as an autorun; while changing the icon to a folder.

One last thing - I'm not usually the alarmist type; but in this case... DON'T save any critical passwords in I.E.! Paypal, bank account details etc are best kept in a properly encrypted location!

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom