Backing up iPhone Contacts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to upgrade my phone (read transfer to a new phone) and want to export my contacts...

The new phone is NOT an iPhone, and will happily read vCards or CSV files...

That said, I can't figure out how to export from the iPhone... iCloud doesn't work as many contacts come from sync'ed contact lists (e.g. exchange).

Ideas?

M.

I'm not familiar with Iphone but my suggestion would be to try a sync with outlook or gmail contacts, then sync from there to the new phone.

I shall watch this thread with interest because I have the same issue.

I can sync the contacts to my MAC but not sure if it will sync to any other non apple phone.

I can't work out how to export contacts to my SIM card on IPhone.

But what do I know.

Connect iPhone using iTunes and look under the Info tab. There is the option to sync contacts with Outlook.

I keep all my contacts details in a Rolodex anyway.

Paper backups are the best at times.

Google exports to vcf (this is how I got my contacts onto COMAND), so as Igurisu said if you sync the iPhone with a Google account you can take it from there.

Both options are built into iTunes interface, Google contacts or Outlook plus windows contacts and Yahoo address book

I keep all my contacts details in a Rolodex anyway.

Paper backups are the best at times.
Aye but you're 104 years old

Sync with computer doesn't work... at least not on my Mac...

I get a warning that contacts are already synced with iCloud; but I can proceed. When I proceed, there are no contacts synced...

If I disable iCloud contacts, then do this - it only Sync's the 3 contacts I created on the phone, and not those connected to my exchange server... which I would rather keep a backup of rather than have them only on the server...

Oh - and I'm on a mac, so no outlook to sync too...

M.

Last edited:
Found a solution.... in the form of a free app "My Contact Backup" (or something to that effect, will check after I bring the dog out). Backs up all contacts and pictures to vcard or csv...

Exported all 300 contacts in less than a minute to a 7mb package (I chose not to shrink images).

m.

Just sync it with outlook on your pc or mac - or even an exchange server. Then connect new phone to same. Job done.

Wot matter if it is iOS, android or WP7. If it is none of these then you need to reconsider choice of phone.

''My contacts backup'' is good which places a file on your desktop with all your contacts, also i use ''Orange backup'' as I'm with orange.

Sync with exchange wont work - the iPhone is annoying and if Synced with multiple services, won't let you (natively) copy everything...

I have it synced with an exchange server, 3x imap servers and linkedin. All provide some input into my contacts list... I could reconnect my new phone with all these services, but then I would lose the built-in phone contacts...

Hence, ended up using "My Contacts backup" a free iphone app - worked a treat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom