Backing up your Phone Contacts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
I just read an article about how most people only have their contacts on their phone... If i lost my phone, i think id be in deep trouble...

Sooo I have a Nokia 6230... I borrowed a Nokia USB cable (from another of my brothers nokia phones) and downloaded software from Nokia site... However, just doesnt seem to recognise the phone....

Anyone got any ideas of how to back this up?

Jay

Bluetooth can be used to link the phone to a pc/laptop. Or Pop your sim card in your bro's phone and transfer them up to the computer software.

Failing that, Carphonewarehouse and vodafone both do contacts back-ups.

what model is your brothers phone? If is not a Nokia 6230, that could be your problem - I had 6100 previously - cables look the same - fit the same - but are not compatible

I keep my contacts synched regularly on my phone, iPaq and laptop using Outlook and bluetooth. I have suffered a total loss of contact information once in the past and you only let it happen once!

you need to load the nokia software that came with the phone - you can then backup via IR / Bluetooth and serial. the nokia Cd has a contacts backup.

alternatively argos sell sim card backups for under a tenner i believe.

Iv'e backed up all my contacts and Gallery from my 6260 onto my computer using USB connection and Nokia PC Suite, just to be on the safe side. ;)

The Nokia suite is indeed very powerful and useful. Rather large for what it does, but it is free.

Be wary of the type of cable - loads of them look the same, but they are quite different. It's probably what's causing you the issue. Check the Nokia site for the right type of cable. Alternatively the right cable is available off eBay for around £7.

Sim backup devices will truncate the long names, and you will lose the multiple numbers per entry, which is common place on modern phones.

Also worth checking if your SIM is indeed holding the numbers at all.... Most modern phones now use built in memory by default. Relying on your SIM can be a very bad idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom