Bad Bodyshop Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi guys,

I had my tailgate resprayed at a bodyshop local to me, ultimately them messed up.
To be fair they did a good job painting the actual majority of the tailgate HOWEVER they clearly failed to 'prep' enough.

Under the third brake light, it appears that they masked incorrectly or something (see photos) , and they didnt paint under the badges hence cant de-badge the car :(

fd4cef31-7273-4afa-b065-371bcfc11eb9_zps0a47wavf.jpg

IMG_2116_zpsmthwtijr.jpg

IMG_2236_zpsunjehib5.jpg

IMG_2234_zpslak0jv1r.jpg

The rest of the tailgate looks perfect, and there is an excellent paint match.

Is there any chance of just painting that section of the tailgate that they have messed up (i.e the section where the badged and brake light are located, between the spoiler and on top of the number plate section, it appears to be a seperate panel) (see photo)
8026b034-2cd6-4fa8-b875-506154538dda_zpsojp9jsl2.jpg

as the rest looks OK, and I am trying to get this resolved as cheaply as I can. Anyone offer any advice?

Is best best getting it sprayed again?
Cheers

Its not that noticeable from far but its still really bugging me haha
IMG_2119_zpstt16hdr1.jpg

Last edited:
I think you know the answer as it's in your title. They should not have masked it for a respray. Everything off, prep, paint, lacquer, everything back on.

For a blow over which this is. You get what you got.

What were they asked to do?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I think you know the answer as it's in your title.

They should not have masked it for a respray. Everything off, prep, paint, lacquer, everything back on.

For a blow over which this is. You get what you got.

I payed for a full respray including removing all old paint, rust treat etc etc. Over £400+ I was just asking for advice on how best to proceed

I payed for a full respray including removing all old paint, rust treat etc etc. Over £400+ I was just asking for advice on how best to proceed

Just contacted bodyshop again they said under 5 year warranty they will put right. I'll keep updated

clk320x said:
Just contacted bodyshop again they said under 5 year warranty they will put right. I'll keep updated

Writing with a smile and trying to help here.

If they were happy to charge you first time around for a "full respray" then do a blow over and charge for a full respray? You may want to ask them for pictures of the work being done this time.

Writing with a smile and trying to help here.

If they were happy to charge you first time around for a "full respray" then do a blow over and charge for a full respray? You may want to ask them for pictures of the work being done this time.

I'm pretty sure they sanded the old paint down as it was rusting and bubbling before?

I'm pretty sure they sanded the old paint down as it was rusting and bubbling before?

Ask them to take all of the fixtures off - or do it yourself before you take it there. Most body shops would just mask sections which do not require paint (I really don't agree with that..).

At £400, they should have taken all of the badges and lights off, but wouldn't be surprised if they have even left the number plate on whilst spraying the tailgate.

I think it would be possible just to do the section that you mention, as the lower section is an additional panel.

I'd have thought they would have removed the tailgate off the car before doing any work? However I don't think they did

I'd have thought they would have removed the tailgate off the car before doing any work? However I don't think they did

Most probably not, but would probably be the best way to do it...

usually bonnet and tailgate would stay on the car but should be completely stripped, at least they said they will look at it.

usually bonnet and tailgate would stay on the car but should be completely stripped, at least they said they will look at it.

they seem very apologetic and happy to put it right however what kind of bodyshop would make that mistake to begin with :/

Perhaps I should see if I can get the tailgate removed and just drop the tailgate of seperately and keep car stored indoors for a few days

Perhaps I should see if I can get the tailgate removed and just drop the tailgate of seperately and keep car stored indoors for a few days

If the option is there, then it is best to make it as idiot proof as possible for them. But consider damage that can be caused in transportation, how are you going to take it to them?

I would not take the tailgate off the car. Even a back street, under the arches body shop should be able to prep and paint this. These guys charged for a re-spray but did a blow over. A blow over is not the same, takes no time at all and cost next to nothing in labour. A respray is all about the labour & prep. Both of which are missing from this job.

If the option is there, then it is best to make it as idiot proof as possible for them. But consider damage that can be caused in transportation, how are you going to take it to them?

I could take it to them in family members car. It's just I don't have a garage to keep the CLK parked in for a few days so would need to try and sort that out :(

I would not take the tailgate off the car. Even a back street, under the arches body shop should be able to prep and paint this. These guys charged for a re-spray but did a blow over. A blow over is not the same, takes no time at all and cost next to nothing in labour. A respray is all about the labour & prep. Both of which are missing from this job.

What would you recommend I do? Give them another chance? Or not?

They should have taken off the brake light as part of the prep. stage. This would have solved this issue occuring, looks like this tired to get away with it using a lazy masking job. Question is, will they remove the brake light to ensure a clean finish... and can you trust them to remove interior parts without breaking anything?

They should have taken off the brake light as part of the prep. stage. This would have solved this issue occuring, looks like this tired to get away with it using a lazy masking job. Question is, will they remove the brake light to ensure a clean finish... and can you trust them to remove interior parts without breaking anything?

I'm going to ask a local MB indie to remove tailgate and strip it so I can give it to them like that. Hence eliminating the chance of them messing up again. No idea how much I'd have to pay for that

Removing the tailgate leaves you exposed to colour blending issues. I would leave it on the car and take the car to body shop that you can trust to do a proper job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom