Bad day for me, engine cut out!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
Not had a great day today, first off get a flat tyre, = hours and expense, then I slam my already bad thumb in a door for a second time then onto my third bad thing of today.....hopefully no more to come?:mad: :confused:

Driving home tonight, engine cut out on me as I was driving, maybe at about 20mph on a bend. Luckily I already had my foot over the brake pedal and was able to stop sharp on my side of road, fiasco of putting into P then restart and off we go.

Now this has happened once or twice before, once as I was going over a mini roundabout, talk about timing, managed to get car round roundabout and into a lay by, with no PAS it is a very heavy car to steer and to brake!

I have noticed car sometimes idles around 500rpm or lower and sometimes cuts out but as soon as switch off, immediately restart idles around 900rpm and is nice and quiet, ie as it should!!

The cut out when driving is the most worrying and dangerous, seems like it could or should be something simple as otherwise car runs and always starts fine. Any ideas, need to get this sorted asap really, be scared to drive it soon!:crazy: :mad:

And I never got anything for valentines day, mind you I expected as much! :D

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.:)

Not had a great day today, first off get a flat tyre, = hours and expense, then I slam my already bad thumb in a door for a second time then onto my third bad thing of today.....hopefully no more to come?:mad: :confused:

Driving home tonight, engine cut out on me as I was driving, maybe at about 20mph on a bend. Luckily I already had my foot over the brake pedal and was able to stop sharp on my side of road, fiasco of putting into P then restart and off we go.

Now this has happened once or twice before, once as I was going over a mini roundabout, talk about timing, managed to get car round roundabout and into a lay by, with no PAS it is a very heavy car to steer and to brake!

I have noticed car sometimes idles around 500rpm or lower and sometimes cuts out but as soon as switch off, immediately restart idles around 900rpm and is nice and quiet, ie as it should!!

The cut out when driving is the most worrying and dangerous, seems like it could or should be something simple as otherwise car runs and always starts fine. Any ideas, need to get this sorted asap really, be scared to drive it soon!:crazy: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: sorry to hear that..cannot help on the cutting out side of the car:mad: xxxx jon:)

That would make it Motronic, with this system when the switch on the throttle body goes it gives high Idle, so one can forget that.

I do know to much about Motronic, but I do about love and valentines day

That would make it Motronic, with this system when the switch on the throttle body goes it gives high Idle, so one can forget that.

I do know to much about Motronic, but I do about love and valentines day
you old romantic:D

It happened to Jukies car not long ago. Its the OVP relay that is knackered.

It happened to Jukies car not long ago. Its the OVP relay that is knackered.

Thanks, could you explain what it is etc and what it does for my knowledge? I like to learn! And might help when I take it to a garage...:)

its a little relay basically... doesnt really do a lot but seems to be the culprit for a whole host of common issues... it costs about £20 from Euro Car Parts for a genuine bosch one...

Thankyou. Silly question - what's fitting like, not that I have a clue as to where about it is or anything, easy job? Maybe not for me but curious :)

Thankyou. Silly question - what's fitting like, not that I have a clue as to where about it is or anything, easy job? Maybe not for me but curious :)
Its situated behind the battery and is about 1 1/2 inches square. It has a 10 amp fuse on the top of it (it may be covered with a black plastic cover). For someone with small hands its easy to change. For the Butch members its not that easy as thick fingers get in the way. What it does I can, in all honesty, say I am not sure, as electrics are not my strong point. OVP = Over Voltage Protection. So I would hazard a guess that it restricts the voltage to sensitive parts of the cars system. Television or Oli (BlackC55) will be better at informing you.

Last edited:

There you go - sorry I can't solve your car problem.
ts

The purpose of the OVP relay was to protect expensive ECUs from blowing, working in a crowbar fashion it contains 2 x 7.5 volt zener diodes.

A zener diode is a device that keeps the voltage from exceeding the rated voltage, in this case the 2 diodes @ 7.6 volt add up to 15 volt, so should the voltage exceed 15 volt the fuse will blow or one of the diodes will blow only leaving 7.5 volt to the other circuits, in the early days it was used to protect the ABS pump but other things have been added over time and it was dispensed with around 2000, the 129 being the last car to use one

The new one have more pins than the early ones.

The ones made in Ireland are much better than the Austrian versions that were heavily dry jointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom