Bad injector?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ms500

Banned
I built myself a code reader to investigate the starting trouble on my W124, and got 17 flashes.

According to the attached file I found in another thread, this indicates a problem with the injector in cylinder 4. No other codes were found.

I'm not very experienced when it comes to the fuel system, what could this code mean and how would I fix it? Could it be the cause of my starting troubles?

Attachments

• PIN 8 ECU.doc
    22 KB · Views: 27
ms500

It does not work like that on your car.

Your car does not have the ALL electronic ignition AND fuel control in one module - they are split systems.

You have KE5.2-Jetronic (fuel) and EZL ignition.

There will be a need to read the fuel codes, and seperately, the ignition codes.

Only the ignition codes go as high as 17. That shows 'vehicle speed sensor VSS' or VSS circuit problem.

ms500

It does not work like that on your car.

Your car does not have the ALL electronic ignition AND fuel control in one module - they are split systems.

You have KE5.2-Jetronic (fuel) and EZL ignition.

There will be a need to read the fuel codes, and seperately, the ignition codes.

Only the ignition codes go as high as 17. That shows 'vehicle speed sensor VSS' or VSS circuit problem.

Sorry but I don't much trust your judgement in this case; I've seen other posts from people who have W124s from the same era with the KE-jetronic injection system who have used this diagnostic method just fine.

I'm talking about the squarish socket by the brake fluid reservoir under the bonnet, and the LED tester described in the following picture. I got 17 flashes when following the method outlined in it.

vid4wz.jpg

ms500

By way of further explanation let me expand.

Your tester is OK.

BUT see No 8 on your X11/4 diagnostic socket diagram - it says HFM SFI.

It stands for 'Hot Film Management - Sequential Fuel Injection.

It is a Bosch Motronic system.

You do not have that system - which I have already stated.

I have already told you what your 17 blinks from the ignition socket means.

The other diagnostic socket (9 pin for the fuelling Oxygen Sensor percentage code retrieval) should be located on the left hand inner wing.

The codes on that one go up to 15 max.

ms500

By way of further explanation let me expand.

Your tester is OK.

BUT see No 8 on your X11/4 diagnostic socket diagram - it says HFM SFI.

It stands for 'Hot Film Management - Sequential Fuel Injection.

It is a Bosch Motronic system.

You do not have that system - which I have already stated.

I have already told you what your 17 blinks from the ignition socket means.

The other diagnostic socket (9 pin for the fuelling Oxygen Sensor percentage code retrieval) should be located on the left hand inner wing.

The codes on that one go up to 15 max.

Then what is pin 8 monitoring on my car then? and what does 'Vehicle speed sensor' refer to?

Also, can I read codes from the round 9 pin connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom