bad judder on acceleration and vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

satumashirt611

Car
mercedes e220
hi my car has bad judder when it accelerates kinda goes a bit when the auto box shifts into second gear but it vibrates in the other gears.before i bought the car i checked on the internet and thought it may be a flexi disk or propshaft thing,cant remember the name but i guess you will know anyway the symptoms sounded the same so i bought it.mine is a 1994 e220 w124.the cars on the internet were manual so im not sure.anyone recognise the problem,it sounds like the propshaft is banging of the underside of the car when accelerating hard in first and when it changes up the gears theres vibration through the car as if the tyres need balancing or tracking,any help would be great,getting to the garage during the week.

Could be the center bearing on the prop, it sits in a rubber mounting that can wear and allow the prop to bang on the car body.

As Alex says, most likely the centre bearing...if it was a flex disc and it was making these noises I would not drive it 100yards.

As already stated, it's probably the centre bearing, but might be engine mounts.

had it checked today and mechanic says its the front that has the problem up near the front of the car and the back is fine,is that the centre bearing?he hadnt time to put it on the lift just on axle stands as hes very busy.thats happening monday.how much is this part in the uk.

I'd wait till he's looked at it properly

If the car has been lacking maintenance than I'd expect it to need more than a centre prop bearing. Look at the prop doughnuts, diff bushes, engine & gearbox mounts to see how worn they are

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks,he reckons the front prop doughnut needs fixing,are these expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom