Bad jump start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam474

Car
C200 diesel auto 2.2
Hi,
First post and hoping for some advice please, I’ve had a read through the forum and fear the worst but I’ll ask any way. I have a 2005 c200 diesel auto 2.2. Woke up one morning to flat battery. Decided to jump it from my van, in the dark, assumed I knew what I was doing so didn’t check and got the polarity wrong on jump leads. Sparks flew and needless to say the car won’t start. What happens now : when battery is connected immediately the head lights are on, windscreen washer on constant, horn sounding continuously, wipers on full, dash board lit up like a Christmas tree, key will not stay in ignition neither will it turn to ignition let alone try and start.
Had RAC out to try and start it and he decided it was way past what they could do for me. Ive had a few people say it needs a new ecu or the alternator is knackered, I’ve gone through what fuses I can find and none have blown. I guess my question at the moment is has anyone had anything similar happen and what was the fix if any? Or any advice on what I can try looking at to see if it’s repairable. I realise that there are so many electronics on the car it’s impossible to diagnose via a forum but any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. Final question, is it worth breaking the car to cut my losses? Thanks In advance. Sam

Could be that you fried one of the SAM modules (Signal Accumulation Module).

See previous post here that may be relevant: W203 - Rear Sam

Could be that you fried one of the SAM modules (Signal Accumulation Module).

See previous post here that may be relevant: W203 - Rear Sam
Thank you, I assume that’s a module that you can’t really tell if it’s dead just by looking at it like a fuse.

Have now checked pre-fuses and all have continuity with ground, so i'm assuming they're ok.

The fact you have stuff coming on randomly would suggest a fried SAM
You need to get the car on STAR for a proper diagnosis.

Thanks, I've got an auto electrician coming round tomorrow, hopefully he can get a full diagnostic, ill update with the results in case it may help someone in the future!

Definitely sounds like the SAM is fried! You could break the car but unless you have space and time, you may end up sitting on parts for a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom