BAD Stone Chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mw230slk

Car
230slk
Hi all,

I've got some stone chips that have gone down to bare metal on my roof :eek: No idea how they got on the roof but they did.

I'm all ready to touch them in this weekend - primer, paint, laquer etc - but how should prep the chip area? The bare metal has gone rusty at the bottom of the chip and I'm guessing it's not a good idea to put primer straight on top!

Thanks.

You need to get the rust out first – because its only a small area you may be able to sand it out with fine paper. It would be pointless just to simply leave the rust there and paint over it.

However in order to get the rust out you will need to make the affected area bigger (i.e. take of some more paint around the affected area) and then touch it all in afterwards. Very time consuming task.

That's what I was thinking - some of the chips are really small in area but deep enough to get to the metal (useless MB paint!). The thought of trying to get some wet and dry paper into the hole to get the rust out makes me cringe...I'm going to end up with a much bigger area to paint :(

The roof on a SLK is quite small and low to the ground (ie visible to passers-by) Why not get the roof resprayed? A decent (ie kind) bodyshop should be able to do it for £150. Touching in the rust spots will stand out like a sore thumb.

stop following the grit lorries.

Full respray do it right the first time!

the halfords kits come with a small circular sander... very useful to clean up the surface rust..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom