Bad Vibration care to guess the cause.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had exactly the same symptoms on my S211 a few weeks ago - shaking over about 60mph and just getting worse and worse the faster I went. Took it to WIM and found the NSR wheel was 40gms out of balance. Sorted now, totally smooth! So, if not balancing, must be tyre connected, possibly something a bit weighty somehow got attached to the inside of one of the rear tyres?

I had exactly the same symptoms on my S211 a few weeks ago - shaking over about 60mph and just getting worse and worse the faster I went. Took it to WIM and found the NSR wheel was 40gms out of balance. Sorted now, totally smooth! So, if not balancing, must be tyre connected, possibly something a bit weighty somehow got attached to the inside of one of the rear tyres?

Tony was going to be my next phone call but some smart Subaru driver who's car we had in came up with a suggestion we thought impossible, but he was bang on the money.

Tyre slightly coming away from the rim?

Previous repair with tyreweld causing a weighted lump on the inside of the tyre ?

I'll let you keep guessing a little longer and will reveal all after dinner a little later.:)

OK - here's obscure. How about the tyre rotating on the rim, therefore effectively throwing the whole thing out of balance? But - how could it remain fully inflated in such circumstances?

Big pointy thing that pierced the tyre, got lodged yet left the tyre sealed but threw out the balance.

In Russia, I once had a vibration caused by a large amount of mud literally sticking to the inside wall of the tyre and upsetting the balancing!! Could this have happened to your car?

Something loose inside the tyre so it can't be balanced.

a flat spot due to sideways skid?

OK I'll put you out of your misery it was uneven Tyre wear across the tread of the rear tyres so going outer/middle/inner tread depth was as follows.

O/S/R 3mm/4.5mm/2.5mm
N/S/R 2.5mm/4mm/3mm

This caused stepping of the tyre leading to the vibration. After the Scooby driver had mentioned it to us we changed the rear tyres for some used we had that were awaiting collection with an even 1.8mm across the tread, the car drove absolutely perfect. Contacted our tyre supplier who thought it may be a tyre problem related to differing hardness of compound across the tyre, sent us 4 brand new tyres free of charge in return for the faulty ones (great customer service) 4 new tyres on and all balanced and tracked and the car drives like the day I drove it out of the showroom.

Next step is to book it in with Tony and the boys at WIM just to check it's not something on the car that is causing the problem.

So beware any vibration check for tyre stepping.

Forgot to mention we gave the Scooby driver a voucher for a free MOT for his trouble.

OK I'll put you out of your misery it was uneven Tyre wear across the tread of the rear tyres so going outer/middle/inner tread depth was as follows.

O/S/R 3mm/4.5mm/2.5mm
N/S/R 2.5mm/4mm/3mm

This caused stepping of the tyre leading to the vibration. After the Scooby driver had mentioned it to us we changed the rear tyres for some used we had that were awaiting collection with an even 1.8mm across the tread, the car drove absolutely perfect. Contacted our tyre supplier who thought it may be a tyre problem related to differing hardness of compound across the tyre, sent us 4 brand new tyres free of charge in return for the faulty ones (great customer service) 4 new tyres on and all balanced and tracked and the car drives like the day I drove it out of the showroom.

Next step is to book it in with Tony and the boys at WIM just to check it's not something on the car that is causing the problem.

Forgot to mention we gave the Scooby driver a voucher for a free MOT for his trouble.
Being a true yorkshireman you made sure you let us know the cause before someone guessed correctly so you wouldn't have to buy anyone a pint at the next gtg:eek::D;)

Being a true yorkshireman you made sure you let us know the cause before someone guessed correctly so you wouldn't have to buy anyone a pint at the next gtg:eek::D;)
He didn't say a pint of what exactly....
That's a true Yorkshireman;)

O/S/R 3mm/4.5mm/2.5mm
N/S/R 2.5mm/4mm/3mm

so I was closest .. and I am not even technical :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom