Bad Weather Sets OFF Car Alarm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Yesterday we had a thunderstorm. Torrential rain with Hailstones and Thunder and Lightning. My wife drew my attention to the fact that my Car Alarm was going off in the drive. I grabbed my keys and went and reset it. It was the first time ever that an alarm on any of my cars has been set off by weather.:eek: :eek:

I was on a cross ferry seacat going to the Isle of Man once and was called over the tannoy because my alarm on my E Class was set off by the choppy movement of the boat. Others were having the same problem, and we all had to disable our alarms and lock the cars manually until we docked.:(

Anyone else had a similar experience of weather setting off alarms??:confused:

Last edited:
Our SLK alarm used to go off a fair bit in even moderately windy weather. I was advised to leave the dashboard air vents closed at night.

I didn't believe it but we did so and never had a problem since.

Doesn't stop my wife waking me at the sound of ANY alarm and asking me to check it's not ours though!

Not my Mercedes because I have a Clifford fitted.. (WHICH I HATE!) bad weather wont set it off, but the shock sensor is set off by everything else, i.e loud exhausts on cars and motorbikes set my alarm off all of the time.

Wind used to set of the alarm on my Mondeo ST because the wind was slightly lifting the bonnet and movements in the bonnet switch where triggering the alarm!

I was on a cross ferry seacat going to the Isle of Man once and was called over the tannoy because my alarm on my E Class was set off by the choppy movement of the boat. Others were having the same problem, and we all had to disable our alarms and lock the cars manually until we docked.:(

I'm sure you're going to tell me to RTFM but just how do you lock an E Class without setting the alarm?

Rather more On Topic, our next door neighbour used to have a Suzuki Vitara with a soft top. The alarm on that car was more accurate than a Beaufort Scale for detecting high winds. :D

I'm sure you're going to tell me to RTFM but just how do you lock an E Class without setting the alarm?

Rather more On Topic, our next door neighbour used to have a Suzuki Vitara with a soft top. The alarm on that car was more accurate than a Beaufort Scale for detecting high winds. :D

Simple on a W211, the metal glovebox key held within the fob can also be used to operate the door locks, without setting the alarm IIRC.

I have a special bad taste alarm fitted to my car.

It does off if a sad urban cowboy goes past on a Harley Davison.

I'm sure you're going to tell me to RTFM but just how do you lock an E Class without setting the alarm

Tow-away protection*

An audible and visual alarm is triggered if your vehicle's angle of inclination is altered while tow-away protection is primed. This happens if the vehicle is jacked up on one side, for example.

Priming tow-away protection

nav_left_grey.gif
Lock the vehicle using the key. On vehicles with KEYLESS GO*, the locking button on the door handle/boot lid/tailgate can also be used.
Tow-away protection is primed after approximately 30 seconds.

To deactivate tow-away protection

When you unlock your vehicle using the key or KEYLESS GO*, tow-away protection is automatically deactivated.
Deactivate tow-away protection manually to prevent a false alarm if your vehicle:
  • is being transported
  • is being loaded, e.g. onto a ferry or car transporter
  • is being parked on a movable surface, e.g. split-level garages
imgcda716671e42a8c3351f190e410d2991_1_--_--_JPG72.jpg
mbsymb5_0031.png
To deactivate tow-away protection
mbsymb5_0032.png
Indicator lamp
nav_left_grey.gif
Remove the key from the ignition lock.
nav_left_grey.gif
Press button
mbsymb5_0031.png
Indicator lamp
mbsymb5_0032.png
lights up briefly.
nav_left_grey.gif
Lock the vehicle using the key. On vehicles with KEYLESS GO*, the locking button on the door handle/boot lid/tailgate can also be used.
Tow-away protection remains deactivated until the vehicle is unlocked and locked again.

NB The items marked with an asterisk * [] are items of optional equipment. As not all models have the same standard equipment, the equipment in your vehicle may deviate from some of the descriptions and illustrations in [the] Interactive Owner's Manual.

Last edited:
I've seen this Tow away protection thingee, I wanted to know what the button was for. Its a handy feature but I think other parts of the security system are active, namely interior surveillance IIRC (I could be wrong).

If I wanted no alarm, I'd just lock the car manually with the key, a CLS must have the same equipment as a W211.

I've seen this Tow away protection thingee, I wanted to know what the button was for. Its a handy feature but I think other parts of the security system are active, namely interior surveillance IIRC (I could be wrong)...

Interior motion sensor*

If the interior motion sensor is primed, a visual and audible alarm is triggered if movement is detected in the vehicle interior while the vehicle is locked. This occurs, for example, if someone breaks the side windows of your vehicle or reaches into the vehicle's interior.

Priming the interior motion sensor

nav_left_grey.gif
Make sure that:
  • the side windows are closed
  • the sliding/tilting sunroof* or panorama sliding sunroof* is closed
  • there are no objects, e.g. mascots, hanging on the rear-view mirror or on the grasp handles on the roof trim.
This will prevent false alarms.
nav_left_grey.gif
Lock the vehicle using the key. On vehicles with KEYLESS GO*, the locking buttons on the door handle/boot lid/tailgate can also be used.
The interior motion sensor is primed after approximately 30 seconds.

To deactivate the interior motion sensor

To prevent a false alarm, deactivate the interior motion sensor if you lock your vehicle and
  • people or animals remain in the vehicle
  • the windows remain open
  • the sliding/tilting sunroof* or panorama sliding sunroof* remains open.
img9b87f7fa1e491bb9351f190e0ac56ebd_1_--_--_JPG72.jpg
mbsymb5_0031.png
To deactivate the interior motion sensor
mbsymb5_0032.png
Indicator lamp
nav_left_grey.gif
Remove the key from the ignition lock.
nav_left_grey.gif
Press button
mbsymb5_0031.png
Indicator lamp
mbsymb5_0032.png
flashes briefly.
nav_left_grey.gif
The interior motion sensor remains deactivated until the vehicle is unlocked and locked again.

NB The items marked with an asterisk * [] are items of optional equipment. As not all models have the same standard equipment, the equipment in your vehicle may deviate from some of the descriptions and illustrations in [the] Interactive Owner's Manual.

Mr Saunders has been most helpful in his research of E classes, I wonder if he will get one :D ;)

I don't have problems with bad weather as I park the car inside a garage :D.

However, as Robert already points out modern Mercedes cars have a tow-away alarm and motion detectors inside the car. If the car is rocked because of bad weather and something inside the car moves around as a result (like something hanging from the mirror), that is another possible cause in addition to the tow-away alarm.

I often travel on a ferry, so am a regular user of the button indicated here: ;)

alarmb.jpg

When on the ferry, before leaving and locking the car, I will press the top side once to deactivate the tow-away alarm, then also the bottom side of the bottom to also deactivate the motion detection (those tickets they give you at the ferry checkin to hang from your mirror otherwise set that one off as the ferry moves about ;)).

You can then just lock the car as per usual, with the relevant alarm sensors deactivated. No need for manual locking/unlocking.

In bad weather with the car parked outside I guess you have to make a judgement on the risk of deactivate the tow away alarm for the night.

If I wanted no alarm, I'd just lock the car manually with the key, a CLS must have the same equipment as a W211.

Yes you can use the key on a CLS to manually lock the drivers door.;)

Not something I would recommend though when parked on a drive at night.:D

If you leave some keys in the centre console of an SL (230) that causes the alarm to trigger.

Brian -- you don't think the car was trying to warn you of an impending flood....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Not only the weather - I had to relock the car without the tow-away protection - on some of the Fjord Ferries in Norway.
les

Simple on a W211, the metal glovebox key held within the fob can also be used to operate the door locks, without setting the alarm IIRC.

Thanks for that. I'd always thought that the metal key was a means of gaining access when the battery was flat or for preventing the boot from opening when the unlock button on the fob was pressed.

Are you sure about the fact that it would not set off the alarm? :confused:

On the W220, it will definitely set it off. That seems to me the right course of action too, after all if you open it with the metal key there has been no exchange between the key and the car's security electronics to authenticate the door opening. If you can open it with a metal key and not set off the alarm without first pressing the unlock key and having the alarm deactivated, that would constitute a serious security risk, as picking a mechanic lock is a lot less complicated than circumventing the electronic authentication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom