Bad Week for a Little Car and Supplier Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All refunded off course but been wary of giving out cc details since

Always pay by PayPal

Not sure about PayPal clk320x, many disturbing stories on web where customers have bought correctly but still been stuffed! Had a paypal account until I got an email to say it had been attacked so binned it, probably a false e mail but just do not trust pay pal. The days of trusting banks, Scottish gas and quickfit are long gone. :)

I'm sort of the same and will never use my debit card anywhere except a hole in the wall.

Presently surprised to get my cash back for this, I rarely use ebay now preferring dispatched from and sold by Amazon.

Not sure about PayPal clk320x, many disturbing stories on web where customers have bought correctly but still been stuffed! Had a paypal account until I got an email to say it had been attacked so binned it, probably a false e mail but just do not trust pay pal. The days of trusting banks, Scottish gas and quickfit are long gone. :)
Same thing happened to me. I received an email from PayPal acknowledging that I had changed my account password - which I hadn't. I tested to see if I could log in - I couldn't. So I phoned PayPal and the cheerful chappy told me not to worry and he'd change my password back for me. Upon pointing out that I was worried, as someone had had access to my account, including credit card details, he told me it happened all the time and it would be OK. I closed my account there and then (which took quite some effort on my part) and immediately phoned Barclaycard, who were very helpful and took the matter seriously. The chap went through all recent purchases with me to look for fraudulent ones. He then put a block on the card and issued a replacement which arrived a couple of days later.

Members if our household were repeatedly targetted by fraudsters over the past year (possibly a scam running at the local Royal Mail distribution centre, I do not know), involving NatWest, HSBC, Lloyds, and Experian.

NatWest initially did not take my security concerns very seriously, but when the fraud (which they could have prevented by actually listening to my concerns in the first place) became evident - they obviously refunded the monies taken - but also sent me a letter of sincere apology accepting they did not handle the situation correctly and a goodwill gesture of compensation (albeit a small amount). So it's a thumbs-up from me for putting their hand up and make amends.

HSBC on the other hand made me go through the rigamorle of a branch visit and endless form-filling and security details reset, after which they did nothing for three months, other than wronly instructing credit scoring agencies that the details should remain on my record because they were genuine and not the result of a fraud (in spite of confirming to me by phone that the acount is marked as fraudulent on their system), thus hampering my attemps to remove these erroneous entries from my credit record. After yet another complaint sent by me in the form of an 8-page written letter describing the various twists and turns of the saga of my attempt to get the bank to resolve the issue, they finally sorted things out, however all I got was a very short two-paragraphs letter saying (very dismissively to my mind) that they acknowledge I was a victim of fraud and that they have taken the necessary steps to rectify the situation. Not a word of apology, or an explanation as to why it took them three months to close a fraudulent account or why they wrongly advised the credit agencies that it was a legit account. So it's a massive thumbs-down from me on this occasion.

Last edited:
HSBC on the other hand made me go through the rigamorle of a branch visit and endless form-filling and security details reset, after which they did nothing for three months, other than wronly instructing credit scoring agencies that the details should remain on my record because they were genuine and not the result of a fraud (in spite of confirming to me by phone that the acount is marked as fraudulent on their system), thus hampering my attemps to remove these erroneous entries from my credit record.

A "company" in China once tried to scam us for payment in advance.
When we researched them we found they had cloned web site, letterheads, phone numbers etc. from an Irish company.

Payment was to be made to HSBC who we then got in touch with by phone, email and letter.
To this do not even a reply from them, that is how serious they take this kind of fraud.

Members if our household were repeatedly targetted by fraudsters over the past year (possibly a scam running at the local Royal Mail distribution centre, I do not know), involving NatWest, HSBC, Lloyds, and Experian.

NatWest initially did not take my security concerns very seriously, but when the fraud (which they could have prevented by actually listening to my concerns in the first place) became evident - they obviously refunded the monies taken - but also sent me a letter of sincere apology accepting they did not handle the situation correctly and a goodwill gesture of compensation (albeit a small amount). So it's a thumbs-up from me for putting their hand up and make amends.

HSBC on the other hand made me go through the rigamorle of a branch visit and endless form-filling and security details reset, after which they did nothing for three months, other than wronly instructing credit scoring agencies that the details should remain on my record because they were genuine and not the result of a fraud (in spite of confirming to me by phone that the acount is marked as fraudulent on their system), thus hampering my attemps to remove these erroneous entries from my credit record. After yet another complaint sent by me in the form of an 8-page written letter describing the various twists and turns of the saga of my attempt to get the bank to resolve the issue, they finally sorted things out, however all I got was a very short two-paragraphs letter saying (very dismissively to my mind) that they acknowledge I was a victim of fraud and that they have taken the necessary steps to rectify the situation. Not a word of apology, or an explanation as to why it took them three months to close a fraudulent account or why they wrongly advised the credit agencies that it was a legit account. So it's a massive thumbs-down from me on this occasion.

The update is that I have just received a second letter form HSBC... still no apology as such or even an explanation as to what went wrong, BUT this time they did make a goodwill contribution (albeit small) and they did write a page-and-a-half-long letter - and even if most of it is simply playing-back to me the facts I already know, at least it they took the time to write it and so this letter does not come across as dismissive in the same way that the first very-brief letter did. Just to set the records right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom