Badge and exterior trim removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
I read earlier about someone who was having trouble removing part of a broken badge without damaging the paintwork. I use a length of fishing line, it slides under the trim/badge and cuts through the 'sticky pad' somewhat similar to a cheese cutter. Adding a little WD40 to the line helps. For a tougher job I use a plastic washing peg, most of these are wedge shaped at the end.

Last edited:
Will have to try these methods. My method is to use dental floss, works a treat, takes no time at all.

Will have to try these methods. My method is to use dental floss, works a treat, takes no time at all.
I did the same thing to remove the badges from my car and as a bonus it left the bootlid smelling minty-fresh! ;)

Dental floss (pref. unwaxed) works better than fishing line as it has a rougher surface so 'saws' better.

Hi Bill, good thinking, thank you, I will give it a go.

On my W124, the central three pointed star on the boot lid has 3 lugs that press fit into holes. The designation E320 is stuck on and can be removed as stated above but I would recommend additionally, careful use of a hair dryer to soften the glue.

Hi, Yet another good tip, thank you, Perhaps we should have 'A Tip Of THE DAY'

"sometimes" after softening the adhesive with some heat the badge peels off fairly cleanly

I removed the E220 CDI from the back of my S211 using a credit card (well, a card of the same dimensions and material that I didn't care about damaging).

I "aimed" it at the thin points - the tines of the E, for example - to maximize the pressure at the contact point, and pushed, keeping the whole card as close to the car as possible to avoid pushing into the paint.

This tore the foam adhesive and removed the badges. The remaining sticky bits were dispatched with hot soapy water and fingernails, followed by a good wash down then some clay and Autoglym SRP to finish. Can't tell they were ever there now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom