Bag of spanners (aka my 300d engine) sorted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

legrandfromage

Car
300TD
My w124 300td engine sounded like a bag of spanners crossed with some angry typists and a nail gun. It smoked quite badly, and it was weeping oil from the head gasket around the chain cover.

I did a diesel purge with 1l of "diesel purge" which quietened the engine quite a bit - it sounded great while it was running on purge alone! When warm, there is now no smoke - success! Much cheaper than the many hundreds of pounds I was quoted to have my injectors done.

I changed the oil for some 15w40 mineral oil. I was suspicious that the garage put in oil they had lying around, which was probably too thin. Now the engine sounds pretty much as one would expect a 21year old engine with 150k to sound! The nail-gunner's gone home, and the typist is in a much better mood.

I was quoted large sums of money to replace my head gasket. Instead I just put some "Liquid Metal" glue along the leaky bits and it has worked!

Now I don't have to scrap the car!!!!

An added bonus - the engine now starts at the first hint of activity from the starter motor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom