Bagged & Grilled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Well I'm a happy bunny .... for now !

Have had my airbag replaced with Chrome-Star version (acquired incredibly cheaply on eBay at a tenth of MB price - what a stroke of luck!)

steerstar640.jpg

and fitted MB Avantgarde Grille (bought from http://www.bluestarmercedes.co.uk) - who also did me a great discount on the MB Original price - worth a call if you need any new MB part at a discount - speak to Stuart who was very helpful indeed.

grill.jpg

The rest of the weekend will be spent wiring up my Nokia Car Kit & Phone Console with speaker - might have to ask some questions to those of you who have already done it, although it looks simple enough. Debating where to get the power source from, if not from the Stereo wiring loom... any advice welcome !

Cheers, Simon.

From experence , i would use the dashmount lead . Easy as pie , everything is done for you and you just plug it into the ISO , plug the new iso into the back of the stereo and there is a mute section and the speech is put through the front speakers and the stereo is muted .... Wonderful :D

SOunds a lot better too than the mercedes or nokia speaker

do a search on Nokia and u can see my detailed install.

Originally posted by fuzzer

Sounds a lot better too than the mercedes or nokia speaker

I wish I'd known that before I bought the console with integrated speaker - could have saved a bit - is the MB speaker not that great then ?

S.

Simon...

I'm so sorry, I totally forgot about the phone bracket I was going to send you..
I suppose you dont need it now as you've bought the console....
I also wish I'd known about the "dashmount lead" as I think I'd prefer it coming out of the door speakers..

Nice front pic... all you need now is the Phillips Vision bulbs to take away the orange in the indicators for a totally clear look.. don't worry though they do shine through orange...

Its alright , does the job , but , the speakers in the doors just sound better.

If you have bought the speaker , it does not matter because a mute lead would have cost you just as much.

Just remember to work out the mute connection on the back of the stereo and scotch block onto it from the nokia radio mute connection.

Greg

Don't worry about the dash-mount bracket - I thought I might as well fit the full monty anyway !

Do you think my indicators look orange in that picture ? I actually already sprayed all my orange bulbs with some silver decoration spray (99p mod!) - I think it has done the trick - although it does decrease the brightness of the bulbs very fractionally - might have to get some of the philips ones at some point (although £20 for 2 indicator bulbs is pushing it a bit !!)

S.

In your signature pics you can see the orange more than the main picture you posted. Where they taken before the mod?

I've changed mine for the Phillips bulbs and I'm very please with them.

Yeah - I know, I need to change my signature pics now - 1 days modding and they are COMPLETELY out of date !!

Fitted the phone kit and console this afternoon - was a bit of a fiddly job trying to get the nokia "brain" unit inside the MB console with speaker - quite a tight fit but it looks great now its in place.

One question for anybody that has fitted the Nokia CARK-91 ... I connected up the ignition sensing lead, as per the instrucitons, but the cradle doesn't seem to recognise whether the ignition is on or off - there seems to be power to the unit regardless - is this normal - does it switch the unit off a certain amount of time after the ignition is switched off or something ? - have waited about 3 mins, but it stays powered up.

Cheers,

Simon.

If youve done it right it will work with the 6210.

The 6310 and 6310i are on all the time in the cark 91

Ohh , and behind the carpet in the passenger footwell is a steel plate. Take the steel plate off and there is a nice hole big enough for the Nokia brain to go into to save you squeezing it into the console ..

Cheers Jason - that explains it - mine is the 6310i. I pondered for ages wondering whether I had wired it up right !!

Where is that little panel you speak about situated - on the side, or at the back ? I'm going to have to take it all apart again anyway to fit a slave handset that I've just got hold of, so can re-position the "brain" !

S.

Hi Sym , here are some instructions on how to get into the footwell compartment. :

Put the passenger seat right back.

You should be able to see the seam in the carpet.

Remove the kickplate on the door . It just pulls up with about two clips.

On the left hand side in the footwell is a plastic pannel with a blanking plate in the middle of it . Take the blanking plate off and remove the screw. Pull that pannel off.

Go to the top of the carpet in the footwell where it meets the dash and pull it forward. Push the sides down and the carpet should just come out with some of the foam soundproofing on the bottom revealing the metallic bodywork underneeth and cable runs and heating ducts.

You should now be able to see the kickplate on the back of the footwell. Remove the black plastic nuts and stick them in front of the gearnob in the rubber well. ( you can tell ive lost stuff like that before and spent ages looking for it)

The kickplate should just come forward don't pull too hard as the alarm control box in on there . There is enough slack on it to allow the pannel to slide forward.

You should now be able to see the space for the brain to go. I secured the brain with some numberplate double sided tape type things as they are really strong so the bain does not bob back and fourth and make a banging noise.

Put back together in reverse order.

For anyone reading this with a W203 , its exactly the same , just a few more control boxes in there and the kickplates are harder to remove :):bannana: :bannana:

Ive seen the slave handset a few times , but ive always talked myself out of buying it as i just thought it was as easy to lift the phone out of the console as i would have to be stoped before i picked up the slave handset in theory :)

Jason

Slave Handset not for me to use - certainly not while car moving, anyway ! Bit of a gimmick, I agree, but for passenger use only ( & while our 1 year old is sleeping !!).

Thanks for the footwell panel instructions - blimey, that's going to keep me busy for AGES !

S.

Nah , its nice and quick , i was just quite detailed...

Good luck , any problems , get back to me.

Hi All

Sym

great mods, 90although i cant see the pics as my firewall at work blocks em all!) i have used bluestar mercedes for loadsa things, and Stuart is a top guy, as long as you have a part number he will try and source it for you!

busy installing tv module in car, what a nightmare! Alpine products are the best, but so many little components needed, hence ends up costing a bomb!

Car Kit Fitted

Car kit now RE-fitted (thanks for the instructions on hiding the "brain" Jason, it worked a treat !)

carkit640.jpg

Also fitted Slave / Privacy Handset unobtrusively in Passenger footwell

slave640.jpg

:bannana: :bannana:

S.

Nice one dude , looks good.:bannana: :bannana:

How well does the Extra Handset work ? might get one and stick it in The back of the car .. how long was the lead going to the Brain from the handest??

The lead had another 20-30cm or so - you would be able to mount it on the centre console in the back, no problem.

Sound quality is excellent through the handset - it even has its own volume control on the side !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom