Bailiffs impounded £60,000 of booze from a Tesco store

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
The supermarket had failed to pay damages to a bloke who filled his Sprinter with Tesco diesel which was contaminated with water in 2003.

£3,400 repair bill. Tesco admitted liability but only prepared to pay 25% so he sued Tesco for the full cost of the bill. Court hearing in December, where Tesco offered no evidence.

CCJ made against the Tesco and it was ordered to pay along with costs and damages. Three months later he has to send the baliffs in!

Now claimed to be an "administrative error" but you have to wonder what will actually happen with the current claims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/wiltshire/6423923.stm

Well done Tesco: first class bit of foot shooting :confused:

I can see how an organisation such as Tesco's overlooks this as an administrative error - they wouldn't have the systems to sort out non-trading claims in the same way.

Given their recent public apology, and ongoing sensitivity, I would have thought that Tesco will bend over backwards to be fair - although I also suspect they'll receive some suspect claims as well.

They will simply pass on the cost of any claims to their fuel supplier, so they may not be too bothered about checking out each one.

I always have been wary of filling up with "supermarket" fuel and have completely ceased in doing so for past 16 months.

this also illustrates what a bunch of crooks the bailiffs are. Theya re supposed to seize goods to the value of the monies outstanding and any reasonable costs yet for a debt of less than £3,000 they manage to "seize" goods worth £60k - they should have their licences revoked immediately

Andy

this also illustrates what a bunch of crooks the bailiffs are. Theya re supposed to seize goods to the value of the monies outstanding and any reasonable costs yet for a debt of less than £3,000 they manage to "seize" goods worth £60k - they should have their licences revoked immediately

Andy

Good point - no doubt they probably "helped" themseves to some of the stock seized...:rolleyes:

Andy

But they just make an assesment of the value and have to sell it afterwards at whatever they can get.
The Bailiffs costs go onto the costs to be recovered so given that their own costs have now accrued then 60K retail value might be about right.

Andy

No more crooked than Tesco me thinks ..I think its power to the people.Big organisations are dangerous,incompetent, and sometimes can be very powerful.Often run by dysfunctional types that have no EQ, .... Good on this guy for fighting them.Its not as easy as you think fighting big organisations and systems.You have to have strength and strong ethics...and hey, who gives a sh**t if the bailiffs kicked their ass ... as long as its not some poor vulnerable individual who hasnt got enough money to pay his rent good on the Bailiffs ........Hope they never took any perishables ....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom