Bajie’s C63 AMG 507

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These cars are very well made indeed @Bajie , I’m glad you like it .
And the paintwork has come up really well - someone worked there manic in it I see .

I’m not sure whether you know or not , but Mercedes did actually make a twin Turbo’d E500 V8 cab 212 chassis , and I mean this thing was rare . Only ever saw 1 at work .
Was a beast and did it sound mean . Right hand drive as well which I was shocked about .

i knew there was an E500 but I did not know about the twin turbo. I definitely did not know there was a convertible one!
The SL500 I showed earlier in the thread is now up for sale, I don't have the funds but it is a very, very nice car. If only the missus would like it enought to force me to buy lol.

I've looked a bit further into exhaust mod over the past few hours and have booked the car into Infinity Exhausts Bristol for X pipe and resonator removal. Below 3000 rpm will still be ... docile :D so hopefully neighbour friendly. My insurance allows for some mods so I will be letting them know.

Thanks all for the positive comments on the car :thumbsup:

Added another 40bhp [at least] ....

Before

8f8802244199ed9a1216ac07075a8d46.jpg

After

7321bd9460dfbea94391b9fdfce593e2.jpg

Subtle difference

f39bce10c3576a9d221d26c12feb1045.jpg

7bb093045dba347b2563fb68c4dc09a5.jpg

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shops that use non-mandrel bent piping shouldn’t be working on performance cars like yours.

Can you expand on this please Alex
I had a choice between Infinity and MSL but as I work in Bristol occassionally and there were positive feedback regarding Infinity I was happy to go there.

Can you expand on this please Alex
I had a choice between Infinity and MSL but as I work in Bristol occassionally and there were positive feedback regarding Infinity I was happy to go there.

Look closely at your X-pipe - the inner wall of the tubing does not repeat the curve of the outer wall. It is "pushed in", reducing the pipe's diameter and unnecessarily restricting the airflow.

Mandrel bends on the other hand don't change the diameter of the pipe. E.g. your original exhaust pipe at the top of the picture.

MSL are Highly Recommended

Look closely at your X-pipe - the inner wall of the tubing does not repeat the curve of the outer wall. It is "pushed in", reducing the pipe's diameter and unnecessarily restricting the airflow.

Mandrel bends on the other hand don't change the diameter of the pipe. E.g. your original exhaust pipe at the top of the picture.

They basically touch each other like the pic below rather than feed into each other

8969f1ec649abc982e500f00445f60a0.jpg

This explains it pretty well....

Consider a straight plastic straw that you might use to drink a soft drink. If the straw is completely straight, it's very easy to blow air through the straw, as there are no restrictions. However, lets say you decide to bend the straw 90 degrees into an "L" shape. Now, blowing air through the straw will be very difficult, as the opening at the straw's elbow will have
changed from a circle to a very narrow slit.

mandre1.gif
Press Bent
mandre2.gif
Mandrel Bent

This is exactly how the pipes your car's intake and exhaust system work. Air is drawn through pipes, which, when "compression bent," become very restrictive to the flow of air. Mandrel bending is the solution to this problem. Mandrel bending works much like the flexible straws that you can buy in a grocery store.
When the straw is bent, a flexible section of the straw expands to maintain the round opening no matter how much of an angle the straw is bent at.
When an exhaust or downpipe is manufactured with mandrel bends, the steel is allowed to stretch on the outside of the bend and compress on the inside of the bend, maintaining the nominal pipe diameter. Exhaust gas follows fluid dynamics. You want to eliminate backpressure while maintaining exhaust gas velocity. Mandrel bending allows the hot exhaust gases to flow with less turbulence.

Thanks Alex and Abb for the explanation. I understand.
I had not seen any negative feedback regarding this cat replacement. In fact all had been positive.
Seems I am ‘stuck’ with this solution until i
A- map the car [highly unlikely]
B- LSD install[this may happen sooner than I expected now]

Thanks Alex and Abb for the explanation. I understand.
I had not seen any negative feedback regarding this cat replacement. In fact all had been positive.
Seems I am ‘stuck’ with this solution until i
A- map the car [highly unlikely]
B- LSD install[this may happen sooner than I expected now]

You still don’t get it bud. A map is not going to fix the tubing and it’s nothing to do with cats.

You may not see the effects of what Abb and I are talking about so I guess there’s nothing to worry about. The exhaust shop didn’t do a particularly bad job, they just could do it better. That’s all.

Well the clean is completed and I am a happy chappie ...

2e7dbef217e41e790e6b524830808aa8.jpg

7d832c2453dbc7339b1e0cbc16017d9e.jpg

a69d9fe983ad03b133c493ae80256cea.jpg

I am considering resonator and secondary cat removal to allow better breathing but want the sound below 3000rpm to stay as it is.

Any further mods would be increased tyre width to 245 front 265 rear and LSD

I’m loving the car. It’s awesome [emoji41]

Very nice indeed!

You still don’t get it bud. A map is not going to fix the tubing and it’s nothing to do with cats.

You may not see the effects of what Abb and I are talking about so I guess there’s nothing to worry about. The exhaust shop didn’t do a particularly bad job, they just could do it better. That’s all.

I did understand you, I was clumsy in my reply.
When I take the car to MSL I will budget for lsd and x-pipe

I am less worried after your reply but this may we’ll be an itch I will have to scratch

Lovely motor :D

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what’s the benefit of the x pipe?
An X-Pipe or and exhaust H-Pipe are at the heart of a performance system and bolted in the center of the car. Also known as a crossover pipe, each system works by balancing the exhaust pulses from either side—or cylinder bank of a V-style engine. The result is a smooth exhaust flow and a more efficient engine.

An X-Pipe or and exhaust H-Pipe are at the heart of a performance system and bolted in the center of the car. Also known as a crossover pipe, each system works by balancing the exhaust pulses from either side—or cylinder bank of a V-style engine. The result is a smooth exhaust flow and a more efficient engine.

Thanks for the information, I can see the logic now you have explained it. That raises another question why didn’t MB do that as part of the original exhaust design? I would have thought that the cost of incorporating a x pipe as part of the original exhaust system would have been negligible.

Thanks for the information, I can see the logic now you have explained it. That raises another question why didn’t MB do that as part of the original exhaust design? I would have thought that the cost of incorporating a x pipe as part of the original exhaust system would have been negligible.

They weren’t my words andy I asked myself exactly the same question as your post and googled. I asked myself the same question again when i read it.
When engines are dynode they don’t have the full system on obviously they just exit through the manifolds but I can sort of see the logic maybe more so on a cross plane crank.

Not an AMG, but an interesting watch nevertheless...:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom