Balanced rears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Probably a dumb question but here goes.....

With a staggered set up where the rear wheels are never going to be put on the steered front axles, is there any detriment to not having those rears balanced?

You'd still feel the vibration from any significant imbalance - just not though the steering wheel.

There certainly is.

No balance on rears leads to vibration up through your seat. Tyre wear issues etc. No different to the front, just the other end :^)

Thank you. I imagined that to be the case but needed the reassurance to leave things alone was the best way forward. I'm just a bit disappointed with the weights that have been used since a recent full tyre renewal thats all, I suppose I will get used to them.

Thnx

I am assuming that you have stick on weights on the inner face of the wheel? Not the hammer on weights that are for steel wheels only?

Some people (this is true) cover the weights with metal chrome sticky tape. That can disguise them. Big amounts of lead can be an indicator of other wheel/tyre problems or an indication of a poor tyre fitter/balancer.

I am assuming that you have stick on weights on the inner face of the wheel? Not the hammer on weights that are for steel wheels only?

Some people (this is true) cover the weights with metal chrome sticky tape. That can disguise them. Big amounts of lead can be an indicator of other wheel/tyre problems or an indication of a poor tyre fitter/balancer.

Yes, its the stick on variety. There's not many in reality its just that they are not quite as "OEM" looking as before, which is were the slight deflated feeling is coming from, no pun intended!

When I get a minute I think I will take the rears off and see if I can disguise them a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom