balancing of radiators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
Just a thought but does anybody know how to balance rads ????? I have spent a few hours looking on the net and tried a couple of ways just I just seem to make it worse and now the weather is starting to get a little colder the kids and the misses their moaning that it's 'cold' in the morning.

Have taken the in and return temps for each rad but just want someone to point me in the right direction.

thanks

Paul

Does your pump have a variable output you might need to speed it up a bit? That said some of the modern ones are automatic.

Turn the lockshield valves all the way down on the rads nearest the boiler and work back fro there.

Balancing, If I remenber correctly you want to aim for a 12deg drop across the pipes.

Your system may be in need of a bit of a clean or you may just have to set the timer an hour early to compensate for British Winter Time

Turn the lockshield valves all the way down on the rads nearest the boiler and work back fro there.

I do it the other way round. Open the lockshields then turn down the hot ones to make the cold ones go hot.

I would open them all then start the boiler. Make sure all the thermostatic valves are fully open. On the first one to get hot, shut the lockshield valve down until it is only an eighth to a quarter of a turn open. The next one to get hot shut down the lockshield valve to slightly more than the first....... and so on through the whole house. Last one to get hot could be fully open.

Do you have radiator thermostat valves fitted?

TRV's fitted on 6 of the 7 rads.

Have made a list of how they heat up in order pump on slowest speed and the boiler on the lowest setting (i have no room stat) got the list and as many people have said turn the 'hot' ones down (all of the hottest one are upstairs) measure the supply and return pipes to each rad they range between 4-8degrees differance but the two down stairs one rad k2 1800mm x 500mm which is the biggest in the house dont get warm but has a luke warm feed (no TRV on this rad) the one in the back room K1 1600mm x 600mm as also the same but does have a TRV fitted and is working. So i thought maybe just needs the pump on abit more so turned the pump upto speed two now the rads do get warmer but not great and the temp differance between the supply and return are 6 or below so i'm not heating the rad with the water most efficiently so turn down the hotest ones again (as when change pump speed i opened up all lockshields and done the measurments again) tried this and was the same as when it was on the slowest speed:wallbash::wallbash:. now you see why i heed to bang my head against the wall lol

They will never get hot if full of air ,,,so bleed them first--ie,,let the air out
If you have a combi boiler ---it should have a pressure gauge on,,this should show at least 1 atmosphere or 15 lbs

After that,,,the hottest rad,close down some,,,the cold ones ,open them more

I do it the other way round. Open the lockshields then turn down the hot ones to make the cold ones go hot.

Thats what the lockshields are for. Balancing.

Once they are set the system should be set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom