Ball joint separator tool and ball joint extraction and removal tool recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocious

Car
2005 E200 1.8 kompressor
I’m close to replacing both ball joints L/R and also both lower arms, looking for up to the job more than once quality wise tools as per thread title to do the job, without paying for the most expensive if avoidable.
Thanks

I struggled with some smaller ones first for a few hours ,until I borrowed one like this from a friend . Did the job in minutes.

I struggled with some smaller ones first for a few hours ,until I borrowed one like this from a friend . Did the job in minutes.
Have one of these, made as a homer in the tool room of a company I worked in. God knows what it cost the company. Actually came across it last week & had an "all our yesterdays" moment:)

Funny I never had any joy with that type, but ball joints on old US stuff are large and very obstinate, involving a lot of swearing and bleeding knuckles.

I don’t like using hammers on suspension parts, BUT, when you watch the professionals attack them they are brutal. I have all the separators shown, the forked chisel with a lump hammer wins every time for me, especially if you’re throwing the old joint away.

Ball joint separator could be anything from the tool mentioned above to pickle fork or a great big hammer. You will need a ball joint press and some are unique to specific Mercedes Benz models. I don't think a W211 needs anything special.

I did the whole front end on my s211 with a cheapo splitter off amazon and it work great but the fun really starts if you've gotta press the old ball joint out the arm then the new one in.

Thanks for reply’s, I have a pickle fork somewhere, need to invest in scissors type tool, I’ll try get the best I can, now the tool to press in and out the ball joint, they vary a lot in price online, any recommendations as to which one is good enough, use beyond first use intended, future proof

I was replying to the person that mentioned pressing out the old/pressing in the new mounts, and I'm saying at that point, just buy new Lemforder arms (if the mounts are part of the arm).

On the W212, the lower front control arms don't have ball joints and in the USA they seem to press out the rubber and re-use the arms. Over here, on forums and with indies, buying new arms seems the more economical route

The smaller upper front control arm (on the W212) has a ball joint on one side of the arm, which is separate to the arm, so you can just change the ball joint is the rubber on the other side is OK.

FWIW, OP, I found this video useful, it shows the use of the pickle fork and ball joint tool on an E63 W212, but the principle is the same:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom