Ball joint splitter - w210 track rod ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
Tried to change a track rod end at weekend on the 1997 E300TD ... Only to find that my ancient ball joint splitter does not fit these ball joints. :(
Can anyone recommend a suitable tool at a fair price.
Thanks.
John

Use a big hammer and lever bar. No need for a splitter on these little ball joints.

Hi John,
Just put a jack under the wishbone to support it, near the hub, and wack the hell out the rod. Think of something that piss you off, it help wacking hard ;)
If you want to disgarf it make sure you wack it without the nut as if not it might be really hard to unscrew it once its bashed and the axle spin free...
Can I have a gaiter if you have a spare one?
Cheers.
Olivier

Thanks Gents.
It looks like brute force (and intelligence) is required here.

Olivier.
The gaiter is on the wrecked car ... Not the one I'm working on.
I was really intending to fit a new rod end, rather than the second-hand one from the wreck.
Let me see if I can get it for you this week.

Cheers.
John

It might be easier for you to put the track end and the track rod new? This is what I did on one side. No need to work hard on trying to separate the two... Also when you take the 2 out in ne piece that give you the proper lengh ;)
Thank you for the gaitor :)
Olivier

One like this works well.

jV7jSYheRud1aNxeIqUv8Uvq6_b9YKBm1D_s8H3bO2AQReAB7Gs88Se8d0SPFVYtuQh8iLuAHJOcNOaSL4A4sEH-nJ9LdTyT_axsQoq0S2OdNTHnycV84NW0d-Cg-ZynhA9CfwGZ1KtUW7P6MTrx8iW3cX64LE_AUObLcXtibWfxmz7FNATmwIk

I used to have one like that, but one of the points broke off.
The one I replaced it with was more like a thumb-screw, and was never as useful.
Cheers.
Johnsco

The trick to using a scissor one is to preload the screw then give it a clout with a hammer. Works everytime.

I've never been beaten by one yet !!
Euro Car Parts do splitters at a reasonable price.
I might just pay them a visit.

John,
just do as I said, support the wishbone arm with a jack to stop any bouncing, then unscrew the bolt and wack the axle as hard as you can several time. It will come off.
I did it several time no bother. No need for a tool, this unless you want to keep the thread/ joint intact as you need to be careful.
Olivier

Thanks guys.
I have one like the Halford's tool, but that's the one that won't fit.

Olivier - Your enthusiasm for the big hammer is inspiring !!

its releasing the acumulate stress of owning a W210 :bannana:

LOL, I actually hit my right hand 3 times banging on the little screws at the back of the spigot/ wheel axle... Welded by the rust they were, and 2 are still there, not bulging :mad:
3 times on the same spot... :crazy:
After the pain the pleasure? No? :p

Got one of these from Euro Car Parts.
Easy to use.
Fits well.
Works a treat.
Sealey ... Part No AK3811

Attachments

• BALL JOINT REMOVAL TOOL.JPG
    BALL JOINT REMOVAL TOOL.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread