ball joint tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flt.eng

Car
E320 avantgared
hi. I need to replace a lower front ball joint on my w211 e320 (03).
Does anyone have a,: joint installer/remover, they are willing to hire or
sell to me. If so please reply & email. thanks

If you don't have the tool take the whole hub off and put it in a vice and tap out the joint.

The proper hydraulic too is about 2k so I doubt anyone will lend you one!!

Last one I did took 8 tons to shift it out. Not a nice job.

Last one I did took 8 tons to shift it out. Not a nice job.

+1 I used up all my energy with the manual tool. lots of energy drinks needed to do this job on your own.

I hate this task and why do they wear and the rubbers split so often, its not a complicated job, its just the fact that the design of the ball joint sits in the hub, wish it was bolted on instead.

Its easier to take the complete lot off and take the ball joint off that way.. we have a bearing press which we use for this.

+1 I used up all my energy with the manual tool. lots of energy drinks needed to do this job on your own.

I hate this task and why do they wear and the rubbers split so often, its not a complicated job, its just the fact that the design of the ball joint sits in the hub, wish it was bolted on instead.

Thats odd. I very rarely see the front lower ball joints on the 211's have split boots.

Pardon me for saying but 8ton in a press is shadoogie all. Are these the type that just press into the bottom of the stub axle ?

What sort of time are we looking at to replace the ball joint by removing the complete hub, & are there any related problems to watch out for. Thanks everyone
for your answers.

You will need some wheel bearing grease from MB.

It takes about 40 mins to strip and you will need some hefty ball joint splitters.

I use a Claas fox wedge and a good lump hammer .... if the ball joint is shot (and you have a new one) then you can't hurt it. Mind you if it comes apart then you definitely will need the hydraulic press ............ or an even bigger hammer!

I think it's well worth the effort to strip the whole lot of. It does really take very little time when you get stuck in with big hammers to hand etc. Spray with WD40 regularly before hand. Undo bolt and beat the daylights out of it. Then remove and put into press. Apply many tons of pressure. Beat with the hammer (big) while under pressure and POP ! (press breaks) Beat some more. Joint out. Install new and refit hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom