Ban for Mercedes driver braked hard in front of policema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tali

MB Enthusiast
Car
qashqai
So the copper was in the 3rd lane doing 60 and the middle lane was empty?

Looks like the seat was driving without due care and attention.

Obviously the guy lost it and deserves the consequences.

But ... that was a pretty dodgy move from the SEAT, pulling out into the outside lane in the first place (20 secs in)? And it then appeared to brake for no reason in front of him at 45 secs?

Obviously the guy lost it and deserves the consequences.

But ... that was a pretty dodgy move from the SEAT, pulling out into the outside lane in the first place (20 secs in)? And it then appeared to brake for no reason in front of him at 45 secs?

The first move( with lots of benefit of doubt) could be a bad mistiming or momentary inattention , the braking, however, seems petulant and provocative

Typical police, thinking they`re above the law imo. What did he get for his dangerous act.....f all probably.

"Although no-one was injured and no crash occurred Judge Berkson said Broxton’s aggravating features included a previous conviction and community order for dangerous driving and the high speed he drove off at."

After his initial move out, which was poorly-timed, and which Broxton tried his damndest short of a collision to prevent, the copper's driving wasn't beyond reproach either; it certainly looks like 'brake testing' Broxton, who was then right up his boot, seething with rage and adrenalin. I wouldn't have done it, but I hope I wouldn't have moved out like that either.

Broxton overtook on the inside first chance he got, cut hard back in front of the copper, and jammed his anchors on, thereby 'winning'. Now if he had been driving an Audi, no-one would have been at all surprised...

I fail to see on the evidence provide by that video why the Seat driver wasn't prosecuted as well. The Seat driver clearly decides that it's for him to enforce the speed limit with his own vehicle by continuing to pull out on the Mercedes even though had he checked his mirrors he should have seen the Mercedes had already moved to the outside lane and was travelling considerably faster.

He then clearly brakes in front of the Mercedes as he starts to pull alongside the last articulated lorry for no apparent reason. It can be seen when the Mercedes passes him there is absolutely nothing in front of the Seat that would have necessitated him braking. Why is it acceptable for one to do it and the other not?

The legality of passing on the nearside is questionable, the Mercedes driver may have been impatient in passing on the nearside but if there was room for him to do that there was room for 'Mr. Off Duty' police officer to move over.

...but what an idiot the Seat driver is- i wouldn't want him driving a police car in emergency !

Agreed, but then not all police officers drive police cars.... he could be a bobby walking the beat, a detective, or just have desk job.

The first move( with lots of benefit of doubt) could be a bad mistiming or momentary inattention , the braking, however, seems petulant and provocative

Very good point.

Given that , if anything , a higher standard of driving is expected of police officers , than is expected of the general public , I would say the driving of that particular police officer fell far below the standard expected of a police driver .

He clearly pulled out into the path of the Mercedes when unsafe to do so and caused the Mercedes driver to take evasive action ( the act of putting on a trafficator did not negate his responsibility to ensure his intended manoeuvre was safe in the first place , nor did it confer any authority or priority ) . Having moved out into the overtaking lane , he then failed to ' make progress ' , perhaps intentionally impeding the car behind , then clearly applied his brakes for no visible reason other than to antagonise the following driver .

While none of that condones what the Mercedes driver did in retaliation ( and his previous conviction makes the somewhat harsh sentence understandable ) , it does appear that the Seat driver instigated this incident and should at the very least be charged with DWDCA if not dangerous driving himself .

I'd also have concerns that this ' off duty police officer ' sees himself as some sort of vigilante on patrol in his spare time to ' police ' the roads . While it is entirely possible , even probable , that the Mercedes driver was speeding prior to the incident , this does not in any way excuse the Seat driver pulling out into his path in some self imagined act of
' enforcement ' ; if he did want to do something about it whilst off duty the correct thing would have been to pull out after the Mercedes had passed and follow for a distance whilst noting his speed , then either call in a traffic car if warranted , or just report it back at his station . What he did was inexcusable .

Let me relate to you something like this on the other side of the pond.
Probably unbelievable to Brits but!
Location Aurora Colorado . Outcome very different !

Man driving and woman passenger driving a Texas registered car on interstate I/225.
Off duty Aurora cop got into an altercation similar to this one posted !
Forcing the couple to the side of the road on an exit he leaped from the car using the door as a shield and aimed his service revolver at the couple.

Problem was that the two (the couple) in the car were Texas uncover Cops---Texas Rangers.
And being more agile, they suspecting a hold up, rolled out of the car and peppered him and the car with two semi auto assault machine pistols . One of Aurora's finest dead in the road !
Moral I suppose, be careful who you get into an altercation with!
Outcome?
No Charges
Make my day law of the the West --Dirty Harry and all that!.
Tuecas Viejas

Last edited:
When (many years ago) I was summonsed to court for a motoring offense. I elected (correctly) to plead not guilty. The case was passed to a higher court and I had to employ a Barrister. He explained (and I suspect that this is still the norm).

It is just easier, for the courts to accept the word of the Police:

a) They are the Police so should not lie or have any need to lie.
b) You (the courts) don't get into trouble for accepting their version of events.

I won my case (but lost heavily financially on fees). To the layman, me, It was simply staggering to see just how blase the Traffic Police Officers, in my case were, with their approach to the truth.

I learned then that both a) & b) can be sorely tested and should never be assumed.

I have to say, I would hope that in my case I was just unlucky. However, these officers turned up at court with a prepared story and no thought for what happened to me, were they to be believed and they must have thought they would be.

It appears from what we see on this clip that there was portion of blame on both sides. Why the sentencing was decided in the manner it was, I do not really understand.

I have nephew who was in the London Met (he is now with Gloucestershire constabulary as a plain clothes DS) and two nieces in Thames Down Constabulary.

My nephew went over to the US and did a two week stint with the local "Old Bill" in Jefferson County Colorado., This is a police force that deals with a more wealthy section of Denver. The population much like Surrey police where he was before as a young constable before joining the Met.

I asked him about his impressions of American policing. This is what I got as as answer Quote:-
They Enforce -- We Police.
It adds up to the same thing but!
Americans have constitutional rights which we Brits don't have.
Consequently they can sue the police force and the county over breaching of their Constitutional rights and no official is immune from those laws. Consequently American police forces have to be careful how they deal with the public at large.

We as the British Police forces have much more latitude to interpret the law , arrest, and detain, and it is very difficult to sue us or rebut our official testimonies in court .
We do have some internal discipline procedures which are better but that is largely kept from the public eye !

Interesting perspective of American versus British policing for sure.
TV

So off duty copper pulls into the path of an overtaking vehicle.

Then doesn't pull over when he could to let vehicle overtake. Also appeared to apply the brakes for no reason.

I'm not saying the other driver is innocent but the Ibiza driver seems to have a very antagonistic driving manner!

I'm surprised that this officer decided to pursue the case, there was always a chance that he came out of it badly.

I cannot abide liars of any description but I do sometimes feel sympathy for the police when they are expected to never lie yet it's accepted that nearly everyone that they deal with will do,or say, anything to get out of hot water.

I'm surprised that this officer decided to pursue the case, there was always a chance that he came out of it badly.

I cannot abide liars of any description but I do sometimes feel sympathy for the police when they are expected to never lie yet it's accepted that nearly everyone that they deal with will do,or say, anything to get out of hot water.

Had it not involved an off-duty police officer the case wouldn't have been pursued.

Members off the public report this sort of thing all the time and the police aren't interested - "nothing we can do", "there are no witnesses", "we haven't got the resources", "we'll take a few details (in about 3 weeks)" etc. etc..

However, since the person making the complaint was "job" it seems that there is a lot they can do after all - when they choose to bother their ar$e.

The case is also an illustration of why dash cam footage can work both ways.

I'd like to think that this policeman will , at the very least , receive a rollocking from his inspector .

There is no reason why , on the basis of the video evidence , he should not also be charged with at least DWDCA .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom