Ban trucks on the Motorway!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjester900

Car
C200 W202
I was driving home from work in the city and i was behind a truck,

i noticed it's load was unsafe and sure enough a rock about the size
of a football fell off the back and i ran over it as i had no where else to go!!

remarkably my tire didn't burst but it ripped off some side paneling
and i'm sure it total F*** my suspension as the car pulls to the
left and is shaky around corners.

The BEST part is the impact was soo hard and soo sudden that while i was trying
not to crash i couldn't get his details as his number plate was so
dirty that i couldn't make put the numbers and keep the car on the road..

I'm so ****** off i just got the car running well finally and then this.

i say ban trucks from the freeway (motorway).
This is **** now all the money i wanted to spend on MODS will have to
go to fixing, no doubt an extensive list of problems..
$$$$$$$$$$$$

:(

Totally agree. They should have to pay to go on truck only motorways which the hauliers should have to pay to build and maintain. I travel on the motorways a lot and, in 95% of cases, the accidents I see always involve a truck or juggernaut. The cost far exceeds the extra road tax they pay.

Unlucky matey - pays to keep a good distance from dodgy vehicles though. Hope the 'damage' isn't too bad if any at all.

yes i have insurance,

i have good insurance, but after you make a claim your
excess goes up. Then you have to pay more.

You lose your rating that you have gotten after years of driving
with no accidents.

You have to pay for the ****ful driving of others..

I haven't had it assessed yet but to make it worth a claim
the damage bill would have to exceed around 3 - 4000 AUD..

ARGH

Last edited:
Interesting thought -- banning trucks from motorways...

Just wonder how long before people complain there is no food in the supermarkets etc.. no fuel at the pumps...

Over here in UK there isnt any room for truck only motorways and the rail system has been so decimated that using that for goods is out of the question..

As for taxation not covering their useage of our roadsystem I have no idea -- someone with more knowledge would have to answer that one.

Interesting thought -- banning trucks from motorways...

Just wonder how long before people complain there is no food in the supermarkets etc.. no fuel at the pumps...

Over here in UK there isnt any room for truck only motorways and the rail system has been so decimated that using that for goods is out of the question..

As for taxation not covering their useage of our roadsystem I have no idea -- someone with more knowledge would have to answer that one.

Ok how about this banning open air trucks...

is that a little easier to swallow for you?..

Lucky it wasn't your car ey, next time maybe

Lorries over here have to have covers over loose loads.
If you saw the load was unstable, why not hang further back and be ready for the possibility of something falling off.

Shame it happened though.

Dangerous road debris

Dangerous road debris is a huge "hidden" problem which I believe is the cause of many high speed crashes, especially on motorways and dual carriages.:mad: :mad: :mad: The more miles you drive the more likely it is you will come across this phenomenon. In the days I was driving 20k miles a year I came across 3 examples in as many years. the first was a small tree trunk ( yes really) I literally "rolled over" at 70 mph.:eek: A few inches either way I would have demolished either suspension unit but by some miracle I went over the top of it rather than collide. :) The second was a broken metal section of an agricultural plough which destroyed a rear tyre.:( The third was a broken pallet which took out the sidewall of a rear tyre in a second. :eek: This one was the worst since it was at night and I had only a brief glimpse before hitting it. This was one occasion I thanked the design of Mercedes suspension which kept the car controllable in an unstable state on 3 wheels.:rock: I find that in general the huge fleet articulated lorries have very secure loads. The major culprits are medium size trucks or vans/pickups with insecure loads or badly covered loads of loosely consolidated material like demolition material. The other type of debris consists of bona fide vehicle "parts" which have broken off tyre fragments,exhausts, spare tyres/wheels/suspension components. This usually due to vehicles that havn't been properly maintained.
I know this is of little comfort to you but you are not alone and maybe lucky on this occasion to have escaped serious injury.:crazy:

is that a little easier to swallow for you?..

Thanks for your kind wishes...... I don't think you meant that to come over as it read...

I have had a near miss before -- but it wasn't on a motorway - but going through a city.. the lorry ahead of me had sheet iron and I didnt like the look of the load (uncovered) .. so hung back... a sheet flew off and luckily i was far back enough to avoid it.. If I had been closer the thought doesnt bear thinking about (decapitation was very much on the card)..

Luckily Plod was just two cars behind me ... pulled him over ...

I must admit to feeling a little anxious when following a car with multiple bicycles strapped to the back, they just don't look safe at all.

As a former artic driver myself the last thing you'd want is artics driving on all side roads. It would be pandemonium. It is the drivers responsibility to make sure his load is safe and you should have taken his details to claim off his firms insurance.

Sorry to hear about your damage by the way. My son and I were run off the road by an 18 tonner in february this year on a road restricted to 7.5 tonne vehicles. Not 30 seconds later a police car came around the corner and couldn't chase after him because I was causing an obstruction. I'm quite surprised I wasn't charged for the time incurred by the officer attending the accident.

There are good and bad lorry drivers out there. I would hope I was one of the more considerate ones.

I must admit to feeling a little anxious when following a car with multiple bicycles strapped to the back, they just don't look safe at all.

Am totally with you there and too many times they obscure not only their lights but number plate too.....

Lorries over here have to have covers over loose loads.
If you saw the load was unstable, why not hang further back and be ready for the possibility of something falling off.

Shame it happened though.

it was during peak hour and i was trying to change lanes when safe,
i was only behind him for prob 2 - 3 mins

As you'd expect i'm rather upset, so i just say the first thing to come into my
mind. I know it is very impractical and not going to happen. As i know i
use things delivered by trucks every day. I also am well aware of the fact
(i assume) as have never driven a big truck that they are quite difficault
to drive, and most likely are P**** off every day by the amount of cars that race to
get in front of them.. and so on

It's just when carelessness is involved that i lose my head..

I'm sure it will all work out, but i as i said i just got her running perfect :)

Brad

Good luck in getting her fixed...hope its not too expensive..

Dangerous road debris is a huge "hidden" problem which I believe is the cause of many high speed crashes, especially on motorways and dual carriages.:mad: :mad: :mad: The more miles you drive the more likely it is you will come across this phenomenon. In the days I was driving 20k miles a year I came across 3 examples in as many years. the first was a small tree trunk ( yes really) I literally "rolled over" at 70 mph.:eek: A few inches either way I would have demolished either suspension unit but by some miracle I went over the top of it rather than collide. :) The second was a broken metal section of an agricultural plough which destroyed a rear tyre.:( The third was a broken pallet which took out the sidewall of a rear tyre in a second. :eek: This one was the worst since it was at night and I had only a brief glimpse before hitting it. This was one occasion I thanked the design of Mercedes suspension which kept the car controllable in an unstable state on 3 wheels.:rock: I find that in general the huge fleet articulated lorries have very secure loads. The major culprits are medium size trucks or vans/pickups with insecure loads or badly covered loads of loosely consolidated material like demolition material. The other type of debris consists of bona fide vehicle "parts" which have broken off tyre fragments,exhausts, spare tyres/wheels/suspension components. This usually due to vehicles that havn't been properly maintained.
I know this is of little comfort to you but you are not alone and maybe lucky on this occasion to have escaped serious injury.:crazy:

The speed limit is 70 for a good reason, this is just one of them.

I have to tread on eggshells here and I will very tactfully suggest that the instant, and I mean instant we see a dangerous or insecure load then we should then start to take action.

I have seen trucks going round round-abouts and their load fall on top of a car, crushing to death the occupants. I have known trapped rocks to fly out from between two wheels and go hurtling through a car windscreen.

If we see an insecure load then we have any number of options, but please, please do not follow behind for any length of time admiring the view................... It might be your last.

Get vehicle details, phone the police
Attempt to signal the driver from either alongside or in front

Drop back to a safe distance and try to attract attention of the driver.

We might be thinking the truck driver might think we are trying to hijack their lorry, but most drivers will guess what the problem is and maybe even thank us, plus we might be saving someones life.
If we ban cars from motorways then that will also solve the problem:devil: ;) (tongue in cheek humour)

regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom