Bananas - blimey!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll never look at a banana the same way after my holiday to Thailand ;)

Perhaps they are a cure for my rusting rear wheel arches !!
They seem to be good for everything else.
:D

I'll never look at a banana the same way after my holiday to Thailand ;)

Howard, that wasn't a banana in her pocket ...

My favourite fruit :bannana: :bannana:

I have always said bananas are one of the best foods.
Unfortunately most of the nanas we get in this country are rubbish and taste nothing like 'the real thing' - I think it must be the way they are grown.
If you ever get the chance, Windward Isles bananas have the best flavour (or they did when I used t help out at a greengrocers)

Really good bananas are best when they start to go black - most people think they are going 'off' but they are much sweeter and have a better taste - unfortunately most of the bananas you get today don't seem to sweeten up so well.

And the best supermarket for nanas? I have always found that Morrisons are the best.

Unfortunately most of the nanas we get in this country are rubbish and taste nothing like 'the real thing' - I think it must be the way they are grown.
I think it's more to do with how they're stored and ripened.

A guy I used to drink with when I lived in the east of England was a banana ripener working for Geest. It was quite astonishing the effort they used to go to to ensure bananas were properly ripened back then. Judging by the rubbish that's sold in UK supermarkets now, they don't have the same commitment to getting it right :(

I think it's more to do with how they're stored and ripened.

A guy I used to drink with when I lived in the east of England was a banana ripener working for Geest. It was quite astonishing the effort they used to go to to ensure bananas were properly ripened back then. Judging by the rubbish that's sold in UK supermarkets now, they don't have the same commitment to getting it right :(

I'm in the trade and can tell you that the public want to buy yellow bananas with slight green tips and won't buy bananas with any blemishes or if they've gone even slightly spotty; the irony being is that this is when they're at they're ripest and best tasting.
The British public have been fooled into thinking perfect looking fruit and vegetables are best even when its at the expense of flavour, if you go into an ethnic shop here the stock is not as perfect looking but will usually taste better and the bananas will be very spotty and even black.

UK ones are great compared to Australian

UK ones are great compared to Australian

I have to take issue with this, IMO some of the most delicious bananas I have ever tasted came from road side barrows around Innisfail, which is the centre of the banana growing industry in the tropical north. The market in Cairns or even the roadside fruit sellers on the Bruce Highway North of Cairns always has different varieties, and especially tasty are the small sugar bananas or " Lady Winifreds Fingers".
But of course its all down to personal taste, like having "Birds" or "Ambrosia" custard with them.
Am I allowed to mention Mango's??? mmmmmmmmm yummy.
For fruit lovers Tropical North Queensland is a paradise for wonderful tasting fruits of all shapes sizes and colours.
In 2013 I went to Dominican Republic and found the bananas there were extremely tasty, kissed by the sunshine and no packaging additives.
The rum there is also very tasty.

The Bananas in Queensland are great, as long as the bats don't get them!

I stopped eating bananas when I learnt the carb and sugar content...

I had a diabetic group diet session last week and the dietician was very clear that a banana was perfectly acceptable, just have it less rather than more ripe and not too much fruit a day compared to veg.

I used to love the tiny bananas in India that were close to black and absolutely delicious. So did the baby elephant we bought a whole bough for - as our driver Eldo said, to an elephant a little banana is like eating something the size of a pill to us.

It's Indian and Pakistani mangoes I could kill for, but they are seriously off the agenda now.

Last edited:
That was a carrot cake at MB World Bryan - I treated it as one of my five a day...

Glad then that Bananas are my fav fruit and have two a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom