Band of Brothers-tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
This award winning series is being repeated on BBC 2 STARTING TONIGHT at 12.20a.m. If you havn't caught this series before set your video. Forget all the Playstation , Xbox "cartoons" you won't get closer to WW2 front line combat than this. The first and last programmes are slow paced but stick with it.

Agree - amazing & moving series. I purchased the box-set for £12.99 delivered, play.com I think. It may have gone up recently :rolleyes: to £15.99 having just checked pricing but surely worth paying if not already owned.

Fully recommended

Agree again, and better on DVD with the 5.1DD sound.

Supurb series. Really moving too.

Episode 2 on again tonight at 12.20 a.m. After that-- who knows ( next week maybe??) since Wednesday has an episode of "The long way down" in the 12.20 slot.:confused: Sometimes I think the Beeb schedulers just throw a dice!;)

Its like saving Private Ryan but better.....

there's a good book on the subject too which goes more into the later life of Easy Company. Worth a look on Amazon

I think this series should be shown to Children in secondary education as part of "History". Actually included in the Curriculum.

It is such an outstanding representation of the events.

Last edited:
I think this series should be shown to Children in secondary education as part of "History". Actually included in the Curriculum.

It is such an outstanding representation of the invents.

Agree - the personal accounts at the beginnings bring it all home..

Also show to kids at school Schindlers List.....

My 10 year old watched it all on DVD thought it was brilliant..

I'm on the 5-6th round

Agree - the personal accounts at the beginnings bring it all home..

Also show to kids at school Schindlers List.....

The opener of the new series WW2 Behind Cosed Doors was rather good.

I thought I was pretty gen'ed up on the early part of the war - and the massacre of the Polish officers - but if you'd asked me I would have said that 7500 were murdered whereas the programme's number was over 20000.

Das Boot is excellent.

It's a pity there wasn't something equivalent to BoB on the North African campaign.

Damian Lewis may well do the most perfect American Military salute I've ever seen. It was a shock for me to hear him in his English accent in the "extras". Is it that easy for you people to talk American? Because I know I don't do an English accent worth a hoot.
Although Steven Ambrose's book has fallen under some fairly serious criticism (the Band of Brothers were not the first to the Eagle's Nest, as shown in the series), and other of his works even more so, he is still very comfortable to read.
There are many incidents in BoB that simply bring me to tears, particularly the last chapter where they tell what became of the men. One of the most amazing films of any sort, ever.
If you don't have the DVD set, seek out the behind-the-scenes documentaries online. Some of the special effects are amazing.

Is it that easy for you people to talk American? Because I know I don't do an English accent worth a hoot.

I think there's more variation in what is considered a generic US accent in any region of the US. So if you get it a bit wrong it still sounds right.

There's not the same leeway with a 'British' accent because there are so many variations of accents that if you get it a bit wrong you actually change accent.

(I think what I'm trying to say is that the US has macro-accents and the UK has micro-accents!).

After all, we have so much more room. :)

I think there's more variation in what is considered a generic US accent in any region of the US. So if you get it a bit wrong it still sounds right.

There's not the same leeway with a 'British' accent because there are so many variations of accents that if you get it a bit wrong you actually change accent.

(I think what I'm trying to say is that the US has macro-accents and the UK has micro-accents!).

Also the US accent is more "nasal" therefore easier to copy........

Hugh Laurie is reknowned for his american accent in House, he did a whole skit on it at the Emmys with his co-host saying "you dont have to speak like a Brit "and him saying "I am a Brit honestly"

Most americans i know think he is American.... good stuff for a little bet:devil:

You can also buy the dvd set in glorious blu ray now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom