Bangers & Cash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
I'd like to introduce my new car, bought with sound bangernomics (ish) principles. :)

It's a 1989 W126 300SE, with 166,000 miles, picked up for a relative song from my local TVR/Noble dealership.

All of the original features are still working, including the heated electric seats, the electric aerial, the electric windows, the electric sunroof, and even the good old blast a hole in the ozone layer retro air conditioning!

It's got a year's MOT, new tyres all round, a solid service history, plus it's just had a service and won't need tax until August.

Given that it cost approximately the same as the following...
A year's worth of tyres for the M5.
or
The last two services on my recently departed Smart Roadster.
or
A week in the Caribbean for one.
...I think it's a bargain!

Some pictures (rough and ready - I've been using my Blackberry again).

IMG00093-20090519-1649.jpg

IMG00090-20090519-1648.jpg

IMG00092-20090519-1649.jpg

It's not without its shabbier bits up close. The paintwork is a bit scratched in places, there is the odd spot of rust (but the wings and the base of the rear screen is solid), the alloys are scratched and the leather is cracking, however for something pretty cheap and fun to smoke around in it's just the ticket and I'm very happy!

I plan to get it serviced every 6,000 miles consistent with the servicing schedule, and will run it on decent fuel, however going along with its banger principles it if needs repairs over the course of a year that reach more than 50% of its purchase cost it will be off to the breakers yard.

It may last 2 months, it may last 2 years, but I'm sure you'll agree it's a lot of car for not very much outlay.

Thanks for looking.

... going along with its banger principles it if needs repairs over the course of a year that reach more than 50% of its purchase cost it will be off to the breakers yard.
That's exactly the kind of thinking that makes me so hesitant about letting mine go...there are few good examples of 126's about and they are not cheap to maintain.

That is a lovely car. My father was close to getting onet in 1990, but kept his 230te, but the 126 is still one of my fav shapes..

this will last you years..

st neots.. out in Cambridge? they have a lovely golf course out there by a large lake that is over looked by the club house...... would make a great location to take some pics :)

Last edited:
Afterthought....I don't know the figures , but my guess is that the 300 will drink like hell.

My Father bought a 450SEL from a friend who couldnt sell it in London. It wa 8 Years Old and never been through a car wash(Chauffeur driven). He got it for £1500 in 1988 then it saved our lives when someone did a U turn on the A1........I have very fond memories of that car surprisingly!

Lovely car, well done you!. How about some interrior pics?

The first Mercedes we had in my family was a W126 380SE so I too have many happy childhood memories of cars like this. Just sitting in it and doing simple things like opening the glovebox or hearing the indicators tick reminds me of those formative years as a boy that cemented an appreciation of German engineering. :)

IanAlexander2 said:
Afterthought....I don't know the figures , but my guess is that the 300 will drink like hell.
I don't think any W126 could be called economical. Anecdotal evidence suggests that I can expect approx late teens to early 20s MPG from the straight 6 in my 300SE. The V8 models are slightly worse for economy but performance is better.

I do know conclusively that I managed to put £80 worth of V Power in it this afternoon! :eek:

IanAlexander2 said:
That's exactly the kind of thinking that makes me so hesitant about letting mine go...there are few good examples of 126's about and they are not cheap to maintain.
I think it depends on the car in question. Had I bought a mint condition W126 then the satisfaction gained from keeping it in that state would outweigh the occasional hefty bill and I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this way. Furthermore, I've been amazed at how cheap bits for these cars are! A quick search on eBay found dash components, seats, wheels, body panels, engine ancilliaries, lights, you name it! Granted maintenance costs will be higher than a Ford Mundano, but if a W126 owner is prepared to utilise breaker's yards and shop around I don't see why they should cost any more to maintain than say, a W203.

I'd be interested to hear what other forum members think of this - I was honestly surprised by the quantity and low cost of w126 items available on eBay. If they are cheap on eBay then odds are they can be found even cheaper somewhere else.

TheBoss said:
st neots.. out in Cambridge? they have a lovely golf course out there by a large lake that is over looked by the club house...... would make a great location to take some pics
Thanks for your kind comments. You may be referring to Wyboston Lakes, which is very close to where I live. I'm not sure driving over the fairways to get a good picture will endear me to the club owners though. :)

lots of cheap parts around for old mercs as they get broken for spares as soon as something expensive needs doing, always worth checking MB for parts as well as they have a a different pricing policy for older models, sometimes even cheaper to buy a whole car for a part and scrap/break the rest of it.

I've been amazed at how cheap bits for these cars are! A quick search on eBay found dash components, seats, wheels, body panels, engine ancilliaries, lights, you name it!

Hm...maybe because so many are being broken.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom