Banging Noise when on Full Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, mine does it too.....

I reached the same conclusion as you Peter ..... the cold is making the tread compound hard and its 'crabbing' slightly....

Its a horrifying noise though ...... really sounds like something awful is happening .....

Just saw a post under Wheels/Tyres by Quantum2+2, who had similar problem (so it sounds) with his C-class. Replaced the ball joints which cured it. Worth trying perhaps....

Will try and replicate the noise at the GTG and see what Steve thinks it is.

996jimbo said:
I get a judder (and accompanying noise) when reversing slowly on full lock. I've put it down to the cold tyres crabbing slightly and the rubber being cold having less flex.

It started doing it all the time then I put new tyres on and it stopped. Now the tyres have bedded in it is coming back again.

Exactly - I get the same thing on the Porker.

It only happens when it's really cold, there's been a thread on the Porsche Club forum about the exact same thing. Seems that it's very common. I was expecting a big repair bill the first time it happened.

zishan03 said:
Hey C43AMG,

Did this problem get looked at at the GTG?

Thanks,

Zishan

Yes Steve seems to think it is the tyres. On full lock when the tyres are cold, the wheel is going one way and the tyre because it is cold wants to go straight on creating a noise as if the wheel is running on the rim.

exactly the same problem here as well, took it to george fraser and he replaced the steering rack (£400 all up), it hasn't solved the problem.

I am due new fronts soon which, along with the warmer weather will probably solve the problem.

May I have my old steering rack and £400 back please?

sasha said:
exactly the same problem here as well, took it to george fraser and he replaced the steering rack (£400 all up), it hasn't solved the problem.

I am due new fronts soon which, along with the warmer weather will probably solve the problem.

May I have my old steering rack and £400 back please?

Ouch

My indy said he could replace some steering parts (at c£500 inc labour) but said it wouldn't necessarily help the problem - hence I haven't bothered.

He also said that MB have refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem regarding the steering creaking on CL W215 models - it is a feature apparently! :rolleyes:

I am not going to worry about it anymore, life is too short!! Same goes for the sub20 mpg figures :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom