Banham Locks Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Question re Banham locks... see below.

Banham1.jpg

This door has two Banham locks, that use the same key. Unfortunately the key is lost, and the card with the code cannot be located.

We can still open the door from inside (going into the property through another door).

My questions are as follows:

a. Can the locks be removed from the door, if the door can be opened from the inside? Or will I need to have the key in order to be able to remove the locks from the door?

b. If I take the locks to a locksmith, will they be able to fit a new key to the lock, or is the only option at this stage to buy two new locks?

I did ask a local builder I know, who in turn asked a locksmith, but it was all down to "must come and have a look", and I am trying to minimise the number of people I am calling to the property.

Thanks in advance.

a. Can the locks be removed from the door, if the door can be opened from the inside? Or will I need to have the key in order to be able to remove the locks from the door?

Usually - yes -you can remove as long as you can open the door. If the lock is in the door then there will normally be screws you can access once the door is open - but yuo'll have to work out how to release the barrel or cylinder going through the door.

If the lock is mounted on the back of the door then again there should be screws you can access once the door is opened and you can disassemble nd remove it.

Thing to do is get the door open and check what you can see and have a go. The problem is usually where you can't figure how to get the barrel or cylinder freed up - it may not be obvious even if it is simple (eg. a screwed on or clipped cover on the thumb turn side) that is liable to feel stuck and needs a bit of force but you don't know what you are forcing against).

b. If I take the locks to a locksmith, will they be able to fit a new key to the lock, or is the only option at this stage to buy two new locks?

In principle you should be able to get the lock rekeyed. But if this involves just replacing the cylnder or barrel then chances are you could do this yopurself if you can buy replacements (buying replacement locks may be easier depending on cost).

If it's feasible for you to get access and you have the time then I would try and get the locks out and you'll probably find you can replace them - or just the lock cylnder or barrel with new ones - you should be able to get a cost.

Thanks @Dryce , I'll give it a go over the weekend.

If you remove the lock and take it to a lock smith, they should be able to make you another set of keys for it. There's usually #'s on the lock that will give them reference.

Usually - yes -you can remove as long as you can open the door. If the lock is in the door then there will normally be screws you can access once the door is open - but yuo'll have to work out how to release the barrel or cylinder going through the door.

If the lock is mounted on the back of the door then again there should be screws you can access once the door is opened and you can disassemble nd remove it.

Thing to do is get the door open and check what you can see and have a go. The problem is usually where you can't figure how to get the barrel or cylinder freed up - it may not be obvious even if it is simple (eg. a screwed on or clipped cover on the thumb turn side) that is liable to feel stuck and needs a bit of force but you don't know what you are forcing against).

In principle you should be able to get the lock rekeyed. But if this involves just replacing the cylnder or barrel then chances are you could do this yopurself if you can buy replacements (buying replacement locks may be easier depending on cost).

If it's feasible for you to get access and you have the time then I would try and get the locks out and you'll probably find you can replace them - or just the lock cylnder or barrel with new ones - you should be able to get a cost.
If you can get the cylinder out then there may be a hidden number on it .

Question re Banham locks... see below.

Banham1.jpg

This door has two Banham locks, that use the same key. Unfortunately the key is lost, and the card with the code cannot be located.

We can still open the door from inside (going into the property through another door).

I did ask a local builder I know, who in turn asked a locksmith, but it was all down to "must come and have a look", and I am trying to minimise the number of people I am calling to the property.

Thanks in advance.
A couple of minutes with Yahoo and all is revealed .

If the lock is as per the ones on the website , they are similar to Yale type latches and you will be able to remove the latch once the door is opened from inside . Then the outside cylinder will probably be released once the latch is off the door .

Otherwise , if the cylinder is like the one in this clip ( basically a Eurolock ) you can get a 'bump key' to remove it , then either get keys made to number , or replace the cylinder .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Banham advise you need a locksmith to change the cylinders. Not sure what so special about them as I changed two cylinders of standard latch locks in oh about 30 seconds?

That 30 seconds included getting the correct bit in my electric screw driver.

Banham advise you need a locksmith to change the cylinders. Not sure what so special about them as I changed two cylinders of standard latch locks in oh about 30 seconds?

That 30 seconds included getting the correct bit in my electric screw driver.

I will need to see if I can remove the cylinder without having the key to hand (as I said, I can open the door form the inside, so have access to the side, but do not have the key). As said, trying to avoid having someone come to the property... but if all else fails, then I'll just have to get a locksmith to attend and sort this out.

My parents bought their house in 1982 as a brand new construction in South Ealing. At the time we lived near East Acton, close to Hammersmith Hospital where my mother was doing her PhD. There was a Banham store at Shepherds Bush Market. As with any new construction, it was light on security so all It took one house to get broken into before my dad had Banham come out and secure the whole house. They installed metal studs on the hinge side of the the doors that would go into the frame and reinforced the frame with steel. You can't kick that door down even if you tried (don't ask me how I know).

38 years on, a couple of the locks are still around and still function well.

Problem still not resolved....

Even with the door open, the cylinder can't be removed without the key.

I found a Banham key card which *may* be for this lock, but it says bring this card, photo ID, and the key.... so I am assuming that the code on the card is only for authorisation purposes, but they can't actually cut a new key just from the code.

A locksmith will presumably be able to pick the lock and remove the the cylinder then replace it with new.

I will update further once I manage to get the locksmith in....

Problem still not resolved....

Even with the door open, the cylinder can't be removed without the key.

I found a Banham key card which *may* be for this lock, but it says bring this card, photo ID, and the key.... so I am assuming that the code on the card is only for authorisation purposes, but they can't actually cut a new key just from the code.

A locksmith will presumably be able to pick the lock and remove the the cylinder then replace it with new.

I will update further once I manage to get the locksmith in....
Didn’t somebody here say it was a 30 second job?? Maybe get him round to do it!!

Didn’t somebody here say it was a 30 second job?? Maybe get him round to do it!!
Replacing a cylinder is indeed a 30 seconds job.... if you have the key :(

Given that this could be unlocked from the inside I think many people unfamiliar with the exact lock would assume that would be enough to facilitate extracting the cylinder.

So it looks like with this model this a bit more complicated.

Much as this is frustrating for @markjay it's sometimes threads like these that add usefuel information to tuck away for the future. So thanks to the OP keeping the story updated.

Have you called Banham? I use them and find them good, and they must have a procedure for this eventuality. Locksmiths might struggle - isn't a Banham selling point that keys can't be cut by just any locksmith, for extra security?

Ha , reminds me of a pub mate of mine who lost the keys to his gun safe - pretty much a crime in itself, but he blamed the kid's ! - Anyhoo, he called a locksmith to break into the safe.

He got a call from his wife to say the locksmith had been and sorted it out. He told her in no uncertain terms that as she did not have a firearms certificate she was not legally allowed to have access to the new keys and should keep them safe until his return from work later that day.

She said "What new key's ? ...he just drilled the locks out, opened the safe and left" ! :eek:

My mate went ballistic (literally) he had to hurry home , collect all his guns and ammo , take them to the gun dealer for safe storage , buy a new safe ,remove the fitted built in safe , install the new one and wait to get it certified by the local firearms officer.

I never say the word 'locksmith' in his company as this story is always repeated with various levels of indignation and a new rude name for locksmiths every time :).

I have the old safe now, I welded the holes up , replaced the locks and use it , but not for guns. Cloud/silver lining

Sorry for Thread hijack..as you were.

Have you called Banham? I use them and find them good, and they must have a procedure for this eventuality. Locksmiths might struggle - isn't a Banham selling point that keys can't be cut by just any locksmith, for extra security?

Wouldn't be surprised if the only option for a regular locksmith would be to drill out the old locks and replace the whole lot.

Theres's nothing wrong with Banham products per se, but I'm not keen on the mark-up and the incovenience.

My wife insisted on Banham locks here. I would have been more than happy having a cheaper brand that still needed a card and ID for new keys as, when anything goes wrong, it's easier to sort.

My local locksmith is half a mile away and has everything. The closest Banham place is 5 miles away.

I have made it very clear that I've taken a hit on the mark-up and the inconvenience is now all hers.

Theres's nothing wrong with Banham products per se, but I'm not keen on the mark-up
Banham are to locksmiths what Pimlico are to plumbing in that neck of the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom