Bank holiday driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In that case they are normal and we are the weirdo element.

I'm going to switch sides, in fact I've already started. Drivers around where I live are too slow so I have started overtaking rather than stewing and tutting, the old grunters love it, you should see them flashing their headlights in appreciation.

My view of motoring is to expect all other motorists to behave like idiots on the road. Surprisingly most of them do not disappoint.

I will exceed the speed limit to overtake if it is going to get me into a safer bubble.

Yesterday I was driving behind some guy (although it could have been a woman) who was towing a huge eff-off caravan in a car that I would never buy that was painted a really cr@p colour with a "Honk If You Bonk" sticker on the rear bumper who was eating a full Sunday roast whilst they were driving and had a Three-Toed Sloth hanging out of the rear window and who was doing 28mph in lane 3 of the motorway before finally exiting at Stoke Poges AND THEY DIDN'T USE THEIR $^%*ING INDICATOR !!!

My whole year was ruined.......

Yesterday I was driving behind some guy (although it could have been a woman) who was towing a huge eff-off caravan in a car that I would never buy that was painted a really cr@p colour with a "Honk If You Bonk" sticker on the rear bumper who was eating a full Sunday roast whilst they were driving and had a Three-Toed Sloth hanging out of the rear window and who was doing 28mph in lane 3 of the motorway before finally exiting at Stoke Poges AND THEY DIDN'T USE THEIR $^%*ING INDICATOR !!!

Well lucky I wasn't behind them as I would be honking every 10 seconds until they pulled off, at their own invite ;-)!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I was behind a campervan last week with a number of crap stickers on the back. One of them read:

'Sorry for driving so close in front of you'

Get thee behind me satan.

Fortunately I’ve managed to avoid the caravanners so far this year. Often wondered what the attraction was on driving somewhere late Friday, or even Saturday itself, only to return home on the Sunday? Am I missing something?

We have a chap at work that has a caravan which he uses most weekends. I asked where he was going one weekend.....His reply Wigan.

He lives in Manchester :rolleyes:

We have a chap at work that has a caravan which he uses most weekends. I asked where he was going one weekend.....His reply Wigan.

He lives in Manchester :rolleyes:
I have friends who just travel 8 miles or so to a different beach from the one that we live on.

Must crave a change of scenery I guess.

I was behind a campervan last week with a number of crap stickers on the back. One of them read:

'Sorry for driving so close in front of you'

Get thee behind me satan.
Must have been pretty close to be able to read it:D

I've held a full driving licence for 59 years and during this time have seen traffic volumes increase to the extent that rush hour begins at about 5 am and lasts to 7 pm; in some areas I appreciate that the period of rush hour is greater. Although in the main, the standard of motoring in the UK is acceptable, there are some to55ers whose driving manners are non-existent and their presence is a danger to all those in the near vicinity.

Being retired I do not to have to join the scrum to get to my destination by a certain time. If I am unlucky and happen to meet one of these cretins, I am of a certain nature to refuse to get wound up keep my distance from them even if I have to reduce my speed until they have long gone. I like to think that I am more valuable to my family alive.

I forgot to mention - other warning signs: Headlights on whatever the weather! Started with Volvo (now that is a name synonymous with decrepitude / auto pilot driving / halitosis).
Morons cruising on the inside lane appraoching an onslip - only to drift sideways into the outside lane to allow another moron to glide effortlessly onto a main carriageway causing oneself to brake hard and slow to formation speed of 69mph!!!. Would you give way to someone joining from another direction while you were actually on a roundabout for example? (This isn't France you know).
Suzuki ciabatta (or whatever) drivers preparing to stop as they approach road work traffic lights even though they are still on green!
Passing a line (a mile long) of traffic in a queue on the inside lane either slotting into reduced lanes up ahead or preparing to come off a main carriageway - because the outside lane you are in is completely clear - and getting dirty looks/horns/flashing for thinking ahead (WTF?).

....and breathe.......

I see others here have noticed the 'stick it on the windscreen' brigade. WTF is up with those idiots ? I simply can not comprehend why anyone would stick anything on their windscreen that would create an instant and very large blind spot.

I followed a woman driving a compact car recently, we were in slow traffic and from behind I could not see any device stuck on her windscreen, as I crawled past her in the next lane to my horror I saw she had a massive smartphone suckered to her windscreen pretty much right in front of her face :eek:. She was peering over the top of it to see where she was going. Shocking.

Laws exist to combat this type of idiotic selfish behavior but I doubt many have been pulled over and charged with 'obstructing the view of the road' . I'm not sure if its the same law that covers snow/ice on the windscreen ,but whatever it is it needs to be enforced more.

I sometimes use a small sat nav stuck in the lower right side of my windshield where as a 'right hander' I find it easy , safe and discreet in use. Why I see the vast majority of sat navs/phones stuck in the middle of the windscreen is beyond me...unless there are more left handers in the UK than the world average or they are just too dumb to realise the cable from the cigarette lighter...sorry 12V plug :rolleyes:, can actually reach to the bottom right of the windscreen. Probably the same Dullards who block up the petrol station waiting for a pump to become free on the same side that their filler cap is on when most petrol stations nowadays have hose that will reach both sides on most cars.

I am not going to get myself worked up, I am not going to get myself worked up, I am not going to get myself worked up...and ...breathe..:)

I forgot to mention - other warning signs: Headlights on whatever the weather! Started with Volvo (now that is a name synonymous with decrepitude / auto pilot driving / halitosis).
Morons cruising on the inside lane appraoching an onslip - only to drift sideways into the outside lane to allow another moron to glide effortlessly onto a main carriageway causing oneself to brake hard and slow to formation speed of 69mph!!!. Would you give way to someone joining from another direction while you were actually on a roundabout for example? (This isn't France you know).
Suzuki ciabatta (or whatever) drivers preparing to stop as they approach road work traffic lights even though they are still on green!
Passing a line (a mile long) of traffic in a queue on the inside lane either slotting into reduced lanes up ahead or preparing to come off a main carriageway - because the outside lane you are in is completely clear - and getting dirty looks/horns/flashing for thinking ahead (WTF?).

....and breathe.......
That 'creeping down the motorway slip-road' thing is my 'biggie' I absolutely hate the selfish dangerous nature of the maneuver, and as I have said on here before why do HGV drivers move from lane one to accommodate these Cretins ?? Hold your ground mate, they are either going to have to speed up,slow down or deal with 32 tons of truck. Grrrrrr

I see others here have noticed the 'stick it on the windscreen' brigade. WTF is up with those idiots ? I simply can not comprehend why anyone would stick anything on their windscreen that would create an instant and very large blind spot.

I followed a woman driving a compact car recently, we were in slow traffic and from behind I could not see any device stuck on her windscreen, as I crawled past her in the next lane to my horror I saw she had a massive smartphone suckered to her windscreen pretty much right in front of her face :eek:. She was peering over the top of it to see where she was going. Shocking.

Laws exist to combat this type of idiotic selfish behavior but I doubt many have been pulled over and charged with 'obstructing the view of the road' . I'm not sure if its the same law that covers snow/ice on the windscreen ,but whatever it is it needs to be enforced more.

I sometimes use a small sat nav stuck in the lower right side of my windshield where as a 'right hander' I find it easy , safe and discreet in use. Why I see the vast majority of sat navs/phones stuck in the middle of the windscreen is beyond me...unless there are more left handers in the UK than the world average or they are just too dumb to realise the cable from the cigarette lighter...sorry 12V plug :rolleyes:, can actually reach to the bottom right of the windscreen. Probably the same Dullards who block up the petrol station waiting for a pump to become free on the same side that their filler cap is on when most petrol stations nowadays have hose that will reach both sides on most cars.

I am not going to get myself worked up, I am not going to get myself worked up, I am not going to get myself worked up...and ...breathe..:)
I will confess to being one that only uses a hose on the same side as my car, less risk of fuel spillage on the car from a stretched pipe and depending on the set up, using the other side can lead to pipes leaning against the paintwork which is the last thing I want.

I know my experience is from years ago and many garages may have improved their reach but I have not wanted to take the risk..

I will confess to being one that only uses a hose on the same side as my car, less risk of fuel spillage on the car from a stretched pipe and depending on the set up, using the other side can lead to pipes leaning against the paintwork which is the last thing I want.

I know my experience is from years ago and many garages may have improved their reach but I have not wanted to take the risk..

Some fuel stations like Tesco have extra long hoses but others are still pretty useless in that respect. I’m the same, unless I’m in a rush.

That 'creeping down the motorway slip-road' thing is my 'biggie' I absolutely hate the selfish dangerous nature of the maneuver, and as I have said on here before why do HGV drivers move from lane one to accommodate these Cretins ?? Hold your ground mate, they are either going to have to speed up,slow down or deal with 32 tons of truck. Grrrrrr
Can't have it both ways Pete, if you are coming down the entry slip road and inside lane is chocker with HGVs you have to "creep" hoping a nice polite HGV vehicle will move over creating a gap for you. Saying this as a driver of a "missle" that can hit any gap at speeds up to 100mph in seconds, last thing I want to do is creep down these lanes but with today's rush hour traffic sometimes its unavoidable..

I am glad you did this rant! I could prob do same and if look back add a few even...GRRRRR...so hence my early A.M. later P.M approach to almost any journey of distance and then me and my baby (not quite 500 territory, but my baby anyway, we are happy!

Can't have it both ways Pete, if you are coming down the entry slip road and inside lane is chocker with HGVs you have to "creep" hoping a nice polite HGV vehicle will move over creating a gap for you. Saying this as a driver of a "missle" that can hit any gap at speeds up to 100mph in seconds, last thing I want to do is creep down these lanes but with today's rush hour traffic sometimes its unavoidable..

Not talking about standstill or creeping traffic . The idea of the slip road is to accelerate (or slow down) to safely match the speed of whatever is (or isn't) in lane one without forcing it to get out of your way in the process. Otherwise they may as well all be T junctions.

^^^ Oh , and a certain M way slip road when quiet (05:00h on my current morning commute) is a good place (for me) to let the V8 do it's stuff for a few seconds ;)
My preferred trajectory only I am rarely up that early!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom