Banks and why i hate them!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

215m3

Car
C43 AMG
Went to transfer some funds from one business account to another. My online account would not allow it, so popped into my local branch, handed over my chequebook and card for the funds to be transfered to.

'I'd like to make a bacs transfer to this account please'
'No problem, that will cost you £20'
'A bacs payment is free, so please send it by bacs i don't want chaps'
'we can't send it by bacs'
'why not your a bank? they offer 2 transfer types'
'we can only send by chaps'

wtf!!!

I left, unhappy with them.

Called the RBS help desk about not being able to send funds by bacs and setting up online. They said i needed a card reader. Cool i have one, but with the business account they offer, they don't issue a debit card. So how do i used the card reader without a card? There all clueless.

I just wish there was a bank/buiding society out there that was not out t rip the small buisness owner off. I just want a simple account i can do it all myself and not be charged, that will offer an overdraft.

Got that off my chest! There all barstewards

not sure if it helps but I make transfers between my Lloyds business accounts and personal accounts frequently online :/

As you were visiting the branch couldn't you just have written a cheque?

Went to transfer some funds from one business account to another. My online account would not allow it, so popped into my local branch, handed over my chequebook and card for the funds to be transfered to.

wtf!!!

Called the RBS help desk about not being able to send funds by bacs and setting up online. They said i needed a card reader. Cool i have one, but with the business account they offer, they don't issue a debit card. So how do i used the card reader without a card? There all clueless.

I just wish there was a bank/buiding society out there that was not out t rip the small buisness owner off. I just want a simple account i can do it all myself and not be charged, that will offer an overdraft.

Agreed, I have just done the same. I have 3 online Abbey business accounts and last December they changed the online setup. I used to be able to instantly transfer money between accounts but since the update this facility has been changed, I can do an online BACS but it still takes 3 days to clear......

So I phoned up today and asked for customer services to do it and was told that due to money laundering it was not possible and I had to do an online transfer, eh!!!
It's already my bleedin money....anyway after a bit of hassle they relented and did the transaction, amazing as I was logged on at the time and the money swapped instantly on my screen, why oh why can't they let me do that whilst I'm logged in? Stupid...

I'm only with them as I get completley free business banking and paltrey though it is I also get interest on my money.

M.

Yup, Lloyds is a nuisance too, I can do the transfer but it takes 24hrs from business to personal or visa versa, same branch......it's basically because personal and business are to seperate entities, one is effectively the old Lloyds and the other TSB, even their computer systems are different....

Business internet banking is 24 hours in arrears which is incredibly annoying, whilst personal is real time.

However highlight of the week for me this week was Cahoot, where I have a second current account....just in case (I don't like it all in one place)....

I paid in £1000 cash at the post office, checked on line after a couple of days and there it was...but the available balance wasn't right...so i called them.....

Cahoot:- "Sorry sir, cash takes four days to clear"

Mudster:- Eh, it's cash?

Cahoot:- "Well we clear sums under £500 instantly as a conveinience to our customers but sums over £500 take 4 days to clear..."

Mudster:- Eh, it's cash!? So if I'd paid in two amounts of £500 that would have cleared instantly, but if I pay in £1000 in one go it takes four days to clear?

Cahoot:- That's right

Mudster:- Eh, it's cash!!!!???

I gave up at that point put the phone down and laughed at how ridiculous this was...in kind of, if you don't laugh you'll scream sort of way.

Its called using the clients money .........................and not paying for it.

HSBC clears instantly too personal or business.

My one for the day is Lloyds, a foreign online fraud transaction has occurred on my personal account, they couldn't do ANYTHING as it was 6.30 ish pm last night and 'that department has closed' err right couldn't even cancel my card!

The branch was fuming about the lack of action from the phone bank people who even asked me if a branch would still be open, and yep this was a UK office so not even in India who could be excused the time difference!!

If it wasn't for the branch staff being helpful the account would have been closed today.

Kate

Have you got a switch card for a personal account with RBS? that's how I have to do it. My BACS payments usually clear to suppliers accounts within about 30 mins now. hth

wtf!!!

I had this nonsense with RBS two years ago. They wouldn't give us cards and didn't understand why we couldn't operate on a day to day basis.

I was having to dump money into personal accounts to pay daily running costs like fuel etc, it was absurd. They finally admitted that RBS had been unable to get arrangements to issue debit cards to Ltd companies.....

customer services to do it and was told that due to money laundering it was not possible and I had to do an online transfer, eh!!!

That's a whole load of ****!

I use HSBC for business and private banking. Transfer funds (available directly) between these accounts and are free.

Today, they had some tech issues with online banking, called them up, identified myself and the lady (english call centre!) was more than happy to help and it costs NOTHING.

Change bank perhaps?

I have been with RBS some 25 years with personel accounts and 15 years business account apart from 10 months when I swapped to HSBC. Biggest mistake ever, overseas call centres, no phone number for local branch, no continuity with business manager etc. etc.......
95% of all transactions are now completed online.

I'm sure all banks have their problems though.

I'm sure all banks have their problems though.

Luck has a lot to do with it.

The problem AFAICT is that banks run unempowered front offices both for business and retail. They have to refer just about every decision either to a special 'advisor' who isn't permanently stationed at the branch or to a back office operation that never sees the customer. Staff get churned about quite a bit. They are hit with targets for selling financial products. Bottom line is that they don't care. The basic modus operandi is to parameterise the customer and basically push the buttons and 'computer says no' or 'computer says yes'.

It means that a long standing customer with reasonable net worth (moreover a net worth that is totally visible to the branch) can get treated like sh*t opening up a current account while an immigrant worker from outside the EU without PR on a 3 year work visa could (until recently:rolleyes:) come off the street and get a 100% mortgage. The former should be recognised and known to the staff and if there is an administrative issue the staff should be able to see that there is something odd going on and resolve it locally. The latter on the other hand will meet a sales target need for the month.

As you were visiting the branch couldn't you just have written a cheque?

My other business bank is the Abbey and i can only place a deposit envelope into the ATM, but has a separate card for this and these were at the house.

I can setup online transfers and don't get charged for cheque useage, DD etc and i get a debit card.

Have you got a switch card for a personal account with RBS? that's how I have to do it. My BACS payments usually clear to suppliers accounts within about 30 mins now. hth

No i'm with another bank which has far better personel service. I don't want to use a personel account for business. I just want any work payments to be made through the business account, so i can keep track of transactions.

I fell out with the RBS in the early 90's after they directed their staff to earn commission from charges to the customer (I read about it in the Sunday papers). My account hadn't been used for a few months and the free over draft was at -£143 (limit of £150). They wrote to me stating that the account had not been used for a while and told me the balance. They charged me £10 for this letter.

I replied that their letter told me what I already knew and their charges had taken the overdraft over the agreed limit and I would now be paying charges for the pleasure. As an unemployed recent graduate I had no money to put in the account but as soon as I found work I would clear the o\d and close the account. I also would not be charging them for the letter I had written. It was one of my best sarcastic letters and I wish I had kept a copy.

I have since had many years happy banking with the Nationwide, until last week. Because I had missed a payment on my credit card while I was one holiday (my mistake) they charged me £12 and they 'have reviewed my account usage and reduced my credit limit to £500' from £5500.
My balance that caused this reaction? £39.

banks and why i hate them

The present climate with regard to banks and how they treat people reminds me of the collective noun "Wunch". This word is used to describe 3 or more bankers standing together i.e. A wunch of bankers!

I'm getting the impression that banks are playing silly buggers with customers and are trimming the less profitable ones. If you have a small debt, or small credit balance they don't make much money from you and they don't want you.

Best to stick yourself in a strong position and take out as much debt as you possibly can, preferably with no feasible way of ever clearing it, then they'll keep you as a customer forever and all will be right in the world.

I'm glad I'm with Barclays.....

Instant transfer on line between accounts - Free.
Card reader for secure on-line banking - Free.
BACS transfers - just type them in on line - 19p
Cash paid in clears - Immediately

Great service from dedicated corporate manager & 2 assistants, at the end of a phone or email - Priceless.

No wonder Barclays shares are doing better than RBS........

No i'm with another bank which has far better personel service. I don't want to use a personel account for business. I just want any work payments to be made through the business account, so i can keep track of transactions.

You don't use the personel account for business, it's just the card for the personel account you use for id purpose. It really does work well.

I'm getting the impression that banks are playing silly buggers with customers and are trimming the less profitable ones. If you have a small debt, or small credit balance they don't make much money from you and they don't want you.

I think this is the crux of it. Banks are a business and only make money from a healthy account or interest/charges on debt.

They are just tightening their modus operandi, which in reality is good business practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom