Banks really are stupid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Today I found myself having to try and get some Euros for no.2 son who is off to France for a school holiday study trip. I go to a local bank and try to get Eur.200 off my debit card. This is via chip & PIN terminal on the counter.

Passport? No.
Driving Licence? No.
Other form of photo identity? No.

Then no Euros mate. Money Laundering rules. Nothing we can do.

So I get a bunch of Sterling from a cash machine. Take it back to same person on same Foreign exchange desk who happily changes it into Euros. No ID required, no questions asked.

Explain?

I got euros from the counter with no commission from HSBC. That's what paid for my first trip to NL and the AMG styling pack :D

In fact there is a picture of that same bench of notes on this forum somewhere! :)

There is no rhyme or reason here. I had exactly the same situation at Barclays in Canary Wharf. They must have so much information on me after so many years, yet they still insisted on I.D. Next time, I show them my Russian driving license!
Les

How about, you could be using someone elses credit card and therefore you would be stealing,
but if you use cash it could be stolen already. :crazy:

Best rates

Always worth checking Marks and Sparks. Found them always 2-4 % less then anyone else.

Regards Voya

league67 said:
Always worth checking Marks and Sparks. Found them always 2-4 % less then anyone else.

Regards Voya

Wish I could hve use them for a transaction last week. went into the bank to send some funds abroad, asked about the rate for US dollar, told it was at 1.82 that day, but it could vary, so sent the funds. Recieved the reciept yesterday and it is at 1.799.
This is an issue when dealing with significant sums. Grr...

Satch said:
Today I found myself having to try and get some Euros for no.2 son who is off to France for a school holiday study trip. I go to a local bank and try to get Eur.200 off my debit card. This is via chip & PIN terminal on the counter.

Passport? No.
Driving Licence? No.

So I get a bunch of Sterling from a cash machine. Take it back to same person on same Foreign exchange desk who happily changes it into Euros. No ID required, no questions asked.

Explain?

Why do bank tellers (if thats the right term) insist on saying that its 'money laundering' which is bull$h1t.What it was, is a bank security check. Nothing more.

Anti money laundering is about you stating where you got the money from and dependant on the value (over 9K) possibly having to prove it.

For 200 Euros I don't think this is the case somehow.

I have in the past shown another credit card with my name on it as identification, which is ridiculous considering I could have nicked the wallet!

A bank also had the cheek to ask my girlfriend what her salary was and claimed it was for 'anti money laundering purposes'. She wasn't even carrying out a large transaction or anything, just paying a credit card bill or something.
So she told them to 'poke it'.

I always challenge banks etc, as they just collect information about you - nosy buggers! :( :D

Had a simular experience when I wanted to transfer some cash from my account to his as he had reached his limit! Don't bother using the internet or asking one of the staff to transfer the cash for you as this can take up to three days. Go to the cash machine, draw out the cash, go to till and pay this into the other account which is credited immdediately!:crazy:

What is the point of internet banking if it means you still have to waste time traveling, parking and queueing to transfer cash?

Banks, don't get me started!:devil:

dagd said:
Had a simular experience when I wanted to transfer some cash from my account to his as he had reached his limit! Don't bother using the internet or asking one of the staff to transfer the cash for you as this can take up to three days. Go to the cash machine, draw out the cash, go to till and pay this into the other account which is credited immdediately!:crazy:

What is the point of internet banking if it means you still have to waste time traveling, parking and queueing to transfer cash?

Banks, don't get me started!:devil:
If it's with the same bank then it should be instant, certainly is with HSBC. I transfered some money to my sister and she thanked me before my screen refreshed to show the new balance ;)

Satch said:

Passport? No.
Driving Licence? No.

Obviously you didn't realise that the easiest way to launder money without getting caught is by using your personal bank account...(after all who would be that stupid?)
Satch said:

Explain?
If you've got folding money you must be legitimate..dodgy people are to poor to have real money ;) ;)

I would agree with this. Drew a grand out today having just paid a check into my own account. Well to draw the money you need driving licence or passport. Felt like saying I dont drive or have a passport. The she must have asked 15 questions and why I had so much in a current account having paid a cheque in for the mini the other day. Not to mention the questions asked when paying that cheque in.

Yet could enter my pin number at a car dealers no ID and spend any amount without a question asked. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom