Barcelona

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

Im going to barcelona, any advice, places to visit or hotel suggestions?

Thanks

I was there in 2005, with 3 friends. Only there for 5 days, but had plenty to see and do.
I can't remember the hotel I stayed, though :eek:
All I can remember is that it was a 4* 5 minutes walk from La Ramblas - that's the main street with plenty of bars, restaurants and tourist shops (not to mention the famous street performers!). It leads right down to the marina, and a bit further along the marina is an area full of bars.
Sight-seeing musts are the Gaudi museum and house, plus the Cathedral.

There are a couple of bus tours which circle the city, pointing out all the main areas. The one we used was a service, were you could get on and off the route over the day, with regular buses. The football and the Olympic stadiums are a must, also.

Darren

I lived there for over a year, great city, with something for everyone on every budget.

If you want to let me know exactly what you are after I am happy to help, PM me if you would rather.

As for sites, Mercboiuk has talked about the must do's, but there is a lot of other things.
Parc Guell
Casa Batló
Tibidabo
Barceloneta
Also just outside the city, an easy train ride is Sitges, which is a great beach resort with "lively" nightlife.

Lovely city, how long are you going for?

Great place, I went for a day a couple of months back. Take the Gaudi Tour bus, its worthwhile.

Taken with my Sony snapper compact camera;

DSC01992.jpg

Great place, I went for a day a couple of months back. Take the Gaudi Tour bus, its worthwhile.

Taken with my Sony snapper compact camera;

DSC01992.jpg

I have the very same shot! Great place to visit - went for my 30th. I was warned of pickpockets and bag snatchers, but never saw any...no worse than any other city. You'll have a great time.

We went to the zoo (snowy the gorilla was not there though). Surprisingly good for a zoo - quite big and natural surroundings were far nicer than the usual concrete mass you see.

I have the very same shot! Great place to visit - went for my 30th. I was warned of pickpockets and bag snatchers, but never saw any...no worse than any other city. You'll have a great time.

We went to the zoo (snowy the gorilla was not there though). Surprisingly good for a zoo - quite big and natural surroundings were far nicer than the usual concrete mass you see.
Thatll be the zoo where the elephant died a couple of years back as local youths were feeding it shoes and boots.

The city is rife with pickpockets etc, you just have to be wary about this.
I agree with the bus you can get on and off its well worth it.

LOL its lively alright, especially if your liking is of the same sex ;)

True, but don't let that put you off, in my experience, there is something for everyone there.;)

The city is rife with pickpockets etc, you just have to be wary about this.
I agree with the bus you can get on and off its well worth it.

The worst places for pick pockets are the Ramblas, and around the Barri Gottico, and take care around the major tourist attractions

Other parts are pretty safe, especially the Eixample, which has some good bars and restaurants, and is not the typical tourist target.

Nice city. Stayed nearby this summer & did a couple of day trips in. I second (or third) the Gaudi advice.
Loads of strange museums - sewers - chocolate - etc. (didn't visit these though!)

Last edited:
One residing memory from last year - Rush hour traffic is a nightmare!:crazy: Do your best to avoid being in a car through mid afternoon or early evening if you can - though it might just have been my luck last year

I am back out there next week for three days myself :)- hopefully it'll be warm (I am on business though)

Has anyone here been pickpocketed in Barcelona? or know anyone who has?

I've been there loads of times and its the same as any other city - I've never been pickpocketed. Mrs B got her wallet nicked on Brighton Pier once though..

Other things to check out are the indoor markets which are great if you are not a vegetarian, the Barri Gotic area around the Cathedral is lovely and nearby in former merchant houses is the Picasso museum.

Great city.

Ade

Went there a couple of years ago for a long weekend, enjoyed it tremendously.

All the Gaudi stuff is well worth seeing, as mentioned. We stayed here:

http://www.hotelmajestic.es/

which is just over the road from Casa Batló, and 5 minutes walk or so from Las Ramblas. Very nice hotel, I'd happily recommend it.

Didn't bother renting a car.. you can get a train from the airport straight to the city centre (Placa de Catalunya) and we walked to the hotel from there. Bought a travelcard type affair to get about, which was excellent and inexpensive. Easy peasy.

Cheers,

Gaz

Has anyone here been pickpocketed in Barcelona? or know anyone who has?

I've been there loads of times and its the same as any other city - I've never been pickpocketed. Mrs B got her wallet nicked on Brighton Pier once though..

Other things to check out are the indoor markets which are great if you are not a vegetarian, the Barri Gotic area around the Cathedral is lovely and nearby in former merchant houses is the Picasso museum.

Great city.

Ade

My father twice, and a friend who is a 6'6 rugby player was mugged ( they thought he was drunk and incapable)
My very good friend who lives there had her bag sliced with a stanley knife and her purse stolen... your point???

Heres a link for you
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/barcelona-safety.html

I think its fair to say the city has a small problem, if my father had been more careful and aware he would not have been pick pocketed.
I think its best being informed and not pretending that just because you don't know anybody it doesn't happen. Well Im sorry to tell you, it does and its a problem!

Agree with Hugh, I know of 5 or 6 people who have been done, always on the ramblas, quite often with the bump and diversion tactic.

Same as Gas_l the Majestic is really nice... Dali Museum also may still be open. The bus tour is geat to geat your bearings and then, later take cheap tube train rides to where you want to go. Ba Ba Reba was a good place to eat, bit like a TGI's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom