bargain trolly jack, axle stands and chocks for £15

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crazy price. Not convinced I would trust anything that cheap with my life under a car.

I have one of these cheap jobs (they all come from the same far eastern factory and are re-branded). Good for changing wheels and the occasional brake pad job but not really trustworthy for anything else. They flex quite a lot and the castors break easily. Can't comment on the axle stands though.

Off post a bit but the 'Best Buy' Car Mechanics trolley in 2004 was the JCB 3 tonne model. Similar yellow finish to the one in the link. It was hard to locate and it cost me around £45 but I believe quality costs. It's a great accessory, solid as a rock.

Crazy price. Not convinced I would trust anything that cheap with my life under a car.

Surely nobody would get under a car held up solely by a jack (any jack)?

Or do you think the axle stands in that kit are untrustworthy?

:dk:

Surely nobody would get under a car held up solely by a jack (any jack)?

Or do you think the axle stands in that kit are untrustworthy?

:dk:

Both Bill, I would never trust a jack. But £15.. ?

If the same kit was £60 would that make it 'seem' safer?

I'm not saying its a good or bad kit but sure would beat the useless jacks that come with the car.

It seems as its 'cheap' its no good? would it not have to have certain saftey tests?

As for what looks a good jack there is one at Costco which looks like a garage style / professional. Too big to carry with you but looks very neat and up for the job but its around £80

Ideal for the DIY user on a budget - has to be safer than using the MB emergency jack. For less than £15 what does anyone expect? I would see it as a useful tool for changing wheels over and stuff like that - not for hardcore use :)

It's rated for 2 tonne so should be okay unless you're lifting big LWB S-classes or MLs etc.

Will

My first jack and axle stands were similar to the above, though not quite as cheap. I used it quite a bit on my Smart car, as my cars became heavier and my DIY more involved I upgraded the jack to something with a lower entry, higher lift, wider base and platform. I still use the jack today when raising the whole vehicle up, as a back up to the 4 axle stands.

For me the biggest annoyance of the cheap jack were the small wheels that did not roll smoothly on my driveway. But it got me started, saved me a few garage bills and that's what counts.

Ideal for the DIY user on a budget - has to be safer than using the MB emergency jack. For less than £15 what does anyone expect? I would see it as a useful tool for changing wheels over and stuff like that - not for hardcore use :)

It's rated for 2 tonne so should be okay unless you're lifting big LWB S-classes or MLs etc.

Will

I've had a cheap Chinese 2-tonne jack (from Argos, IIRC) for about 15 years ...copes fine with the Vito and the caravan (750 kg lift), so no reason to doubt the rating. As you say, it's hardly a pro workshop tool but it's absolutely fine for light home use.

I've had a couple of cheap £10 trolley jacks out of Aldi . One was left outside and rusted , hence I bought another . I also have a decent Sealy trolley jack .

Any of them are fine for lifting , but as per 'safe use of jacks' thread , car must be supported safely before working underneath .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom