Bargain W123???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
I don’t know much about 123 pricing, but is this a bargain for a rust free minter?

Japanese import with the early M115 carburetted engine The rare aircon option may be difficult to maintain if it hasn't been converted to use modern gases? Looks a clean example.

No car with 146,000 miles can possibly be described as immaculate!!

That mileage on a w123 is nothing and no road salt in Japan so immaculate is possible.. The steering wheel for example still has all it's texture marks on the rim which is a good indication of low miles.

Sorry ChipCop, but your definition of immaculate must be different to mine. To me it means "as new and perfect", and that simply isn't possible on a car of this age with 146,000 miles, regardless of where it has come from.

Now, the description "immaculate for age" is different, although what does that mean?

I like that :cool:

Sorry ChipCop, but your definition of immaculate must be different to mine. To me it means "as new and perfect", and that simply isn't possible on a car of this age with 146,000 miles, regardless of where it has come from.

Now, the description "immaculate for age" is different, although what does that mean?
It is quite possible our definitions are different.

It is an old car so there will be imperfections but from the pictures it looks pretty spot on, and black is a colour that amplifies body defects but obviously pictures can lie. The whitewall tyres do not suit the car in my opinion. If it is rust free and as good as it looks then it would not be unreasonable to describe as immaculate for a classic car. W123's are built properly not like modern Mercedes so i would expect the doors to close like a bank vault and no loose trim rattles etc on a test drive.

Is it possible to get old style black plates for newly imported cars such is that one or it can get only the current plate on the date of import?

As a matter of interest I was looking at a 2 month old, 1,500 mile A Class for a friend not that long ago at a main dealer. There was a couple of small stone chips on it, and a very slight mark on an alloy (I mean magnifying glass small!)

I thought this was acceptable for such a car, but I pointed it out to the salesman anyway and he said in a very polite way that if you want immaculate, the only way is to buy brand new and pay the premium, which I completely agreed with. Very honest I thought.

My friend bought the car.

Think Japanese work in miles too...

The interior picture shows a kmh speedo reading 235000 and a bit km's... about 146000 miles.

Money is about right for what it is. I hate Jap imports with shitty aftermarket stereos in, Stick an iPad to the dash rather than defile the car like that. Maybe able to haggle hard and get money off for that monstrosity. It could be a good usable daily.

Japan use kilometres.

Looks like 235k to me which would equate to the 146k miles as stated on the advert :thumb:

Attachments

• 7E4A1760-B656-4B6C-A80B-55DC46AFE13D.jpeg
    7E4A1760-B656-4B6C-A80B-55DC46AFE13D.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 3
Nice to see an A/C car in the UK. A/C Conversion should not be a problem but it would be good to get rid of the old York compressor and switch over to a Sanden which is much more efficient

Despite the aftermarket monstrosity I would have thought a rust free w123 was worth that money...

Reactions: 219
No car with 146,000 miles can possibly be described as immaculate!!
Of course it can : the seller just did .

Anyway , a properly restored car , if done properly , to concours condition can truly be immaculate , by any definition , and often better than the day they rolled out of the factory .

Just go to Pebble Beach and you will see such cars ; or to places like Keinle , or indeed the M-B Museum where you will see older cars restored to flawless condition .

However , I would no describe the car in this advert as immaculate ; there are lots of signs of age around it , some variations peculiar to its original market , and some non original equipment .

It does , however look like a sound , tidy car which would probably be a good runner and reasonable value for the price being asked , which is a lot less than , for example , a fully restored Mark Cosovich concours car , which could by any standard be described as immaculate .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom