Barge hunt may not be a Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Looking for a cheap barge but max budget £10k and I don't really want to spend that happier with £5k.
S classes too scary, E too boring or potentially £, then a Honda Legend was PH shed of the week, 2008 ones for £8k oly option is radar cruise and oddly parking sensors the rest is standard.
Trouble is not any about and none near me, but I'm looking for one to test drive, I have to see is a V6 is still acceptable as I haven't had one or a while - oh and it's 4wd - amazing.
Anyone had one ?

No, never had a Legend and I'm Honda fanboy. Opted for an LS400.

5K & a barge = LS400 (+ 4 x winter tyres, 100kg of cement in the boot) and loads of change. An LS430 is within budget too, don't know what they're like but I'd imagine very similar. Easier to shift an LS than a Legend, when the time comes.

Btw, the last time I looked at LS400's it was not uncommon to find one & two owner cars with a F/L/SH.

Last edited:
Not necessarily a barge in the sense of an S or E class, or 7 series / A6 / A8, but what about a Lexus RX300? We had one a while back and it was superb, very comfy, most extras you would need and even today one in nice condition still has good road presence.

Jules.

An interesting call there Cyclon. Never even crossed my mind and ideal for winter too.

..... but what about a Lexus RX300? Jules.

I have one that I've been thinking about selling. WBAC just valued it: "Your valuation of £4,505 is valid for 5 more days" You could have it for £4750.

An LS430 is within budget too, don't know what they're like but I'd imagine very similar.

Having been chauffeured in the back of a 3 year old Y plater - super smooth and very nice I would say...

Having been chauffeured in the back of a 3 year old Y plater - super smooth and very nice I would say...
I have a GS430 which has the same V8 as the LS but in a smaller lighter body. Goes like sh......t of a shovel....:D:D

I have a GS430 which has the same V8 as the LS but in a smaller lighter body. Goes like sh......t of a shovel....:D:D

I like those as well - prefer the look although never been in one.

Yes, the LS430 did make good progress I seem to remember. I did quite fancy one for a while but not had one yet.

There is a long-running thread on this topic on Pistonheads called "Best Smoker Barges 1-5 large". It's now on Volume 6 and each volume runs to 500 posts

There is lots of love on there for old Mercedes and the LS400 but the Audi A8 is a perennial favourite. It's a rather more grown-up forum than this one

Nick Froome

Legend has curiosity value and is for those who want to go unnoticed and hate the word "Snap"
Be prepared for lots of people confusing it for an Accord

Honda Legend - the automotive equivalent of trousers with elasticated waists, shoes with velcro and clothes in matching shades of taupe

Nick Froome

Ian nice call on the RX ill speak to Anna - any pics?

Legend, I tend to scratch itches, at the lower end if the market I admit. Never had a Honda, I've had 2 lexi a GS430 and a 450 the 450 a brilliant motorway car but I do 9 miles round trip a day hardly ever any more an im keeping the E500 cab

Honda Legend - the automotive equivalent of trousers with elasticated waists, shoes with velcro and clothes in matching shades of taupe

Nick Froome

Two thirds of the way there - should I get one in taupe?:)

What about a cl55 amg... I'm sure you can get a decent one within budget...

I love these posts by the OP, always well intended to purchase a reasonably priced car.... Then boom the budget is smashed! Grab the current shape X5 or the recently replaced ML... They will see you through the winter.

I love these posts by the OP, always well intended to purchase a reasonably priced car.... Then boom the budget is smashed! Grab the current shape X5 or the recently replaced ML... They will see you through the winter.

Lol, yes, I'm noticing the man maths creeping in from m2287's post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom