Barking Mad Contractors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br0ke

To paint the scene:
We live in a 15 year old development with all the houses (approx 500) in various cul-de-sac's off a main road about 700yds long. This leads down to a reasonably steep hill onto an A-road into the city centre about 8 miles away. This only way in and out of the development.

Recently they have started building houses in the fields behind (and I thought there was a recession). They have been doing this work for 7-8 months now and with all the heavy lorries etc, they endeavour to keep the main road reasonably clean. They send a sweeper out a few times a week and a digger is used for scraping the road if it is muddy.

Today, for the first time, I witnessed contractors - and I asked them to stop - cleaning the entrance hill with water from a fire hydrant. It was at 14.00 and the temperature was 1 deg. They told me they would ensure it was gritted, but they lied.

I called the council when I got back at 16.30 and the temp was down to -2 deg. As it is a private development, they have no requirement to grit it.

If someone slid down the hill and out into the dual-carriageway and caused a fatal accident, could the contractors be charged with man-slaughter?

I take your point but can't really answer your question. However, I'm sure the local fire station would be interested in their use of the hydrant because I thought only they were allowed to touch them. Any serving fire fighters here that could clarify? This might be one way of putting a stop to this potentially dangerous practice.

I guess potentially they could be charged, but whether they'd be convicted is another matter.

Hydrants are available for anyone to use, but it's a criminal offence to use one without permission, which I assume must involve a fee, as water isn't free. Presumeably the contractors have permission if it's an ongoing development. I think "official" standpipes have a meter in them now.

Last edited:
Yes the contractors would be liable for any accident caused. If you are genuinely concerned make sure you call the local police station and lodge your complaint as well as the Council then if anything does happen there is prior concern. Although the council are not technically legally responsible for private developments they still have a duty of care to the public and therefore should grit it. As regards a manslaughter charge very difficult to prove so unlikely to stick.

So endeth the lesson according to SWMBO :D

Find out if they(the council) have adopted the road if not they are not liable for a private road

Last edited:
So the subbies are using your private road to get to their develepoment.

Best of all scraping it with a digger bet that does the tarmac the world of good?

I know road sweepers/gulleu emptiers can use hydrants not sure who else.

Lynall

My appreciation goes to the council. I sent an email of thanks to the Divisional manager.
They were out last night and gritted the hill. Nice and safe this morning.

I'll go to the site foreman later and mention to him that it was an extremely stupid thing for the cleaners to do. Hopefully it won't happen again.

I'll go to the site foreman later and mention to him that it was an extremely stupid thing for the cleaners to do. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Do let us know how you got on.

Once you've removed the pickaxe handle.

Find out if they(the council) have adopted the road if not they are not liable for a private road

Although not technically liable they have a duty of care to the public so if it is a danger and could endanger the public then in law they are liable which I suspect is why they gritted it in the end.

A good example of how the Elf'n'safety culture can work in our favour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom